new "rare" rabbit

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You have to understand the history of Britain to understand the English language. From the time of the Roman invasions (54 BC?) until William the Conqueror put an end to invasions with his own in 1066, Britain suffered wave after wave of invasions: Romans, Angles, Saxons, Danes, Gauls (French). All came, saw, conquered and were in turn assimilated by the native Britons and Celts. Each group added to the linguistic mix.

English is probably the richest and most baffling language in existence. I just love it! It's like a wonderful alphabet soup that has simmered through the centuries and is still served up fresh and full of flavour. :D

:yeahthat: Maggie hit the nail on the head! :D

TheLittleBunny10":3omunevt said:
french is pretty hard also (I think the accents are)
I had three years of French... I actually thought it was easy... :oops: :tomato: :hiding:

TheLittleBunny10":3omunevt said:
like you can say: Le ver vert dans le vert verre (the green worm is in the green cup, I think)
:rotfl: I never saw that one! Needs a verb, I think... "Le ver vert est dans le vert verre."

For all you non-Frenchies, ver, vert, and verre are all pronounced "vare". :lol:

Zab":3omunevt said:
Although icelandic sound way cool! :p
Yes, it does... and so does Swedish! :p

So y'all seem to have your share of these issues in Swedish, too! Who knew? :p

Miss M":368z6ejj said:
TheLittleBunny10":368z6ejj said:
like you can say: Le ver vert dans le vert verre (the green worm is in the green cup, I think)
:rotfl: I never saw that one! Needs a verb, I think... "Le ver vert est dans le vert verre."

oh :)
I haven't taken french for like 3 years :p :shrug:

I had french in elementary.. I never really learnt enough to make any use of it. BUT when in france, people suddenly find a hidden knowledge of english if you try a few words of french.. :roll: Wether it's because they liked that I at least tried to use french, or because they wanted to end the horrible butchering of their language, is hard to tell :lol:

TheLittleBunny10":2w4n48i0 said:
Miss M":2w4n48i0 said:
TheLittleBunny10":2w4n48i0 said:

oh :)
I haven't taken french for like 3 years :p :shrug:
More like 25+ for me... :eek:<br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 08, 2013 1:12 am __________<br /><br />Okay, I confess... I actually have USED my French now and then, and especially lately. My mom has been doing genealogy studies, and I've been reading a LOT of French for her. So it's pretty fresh for me.

I studied Gaelic for a few years, being full Irish I figured it was kind of a no-brainer, well, that and my mother pressed it. Seems simple enough, the alphabet is shorter, but to me once you learn how to enunciate words a certain way, doing it a different way is like going against the grain to me. Seems to be the hardest part.

:bunnyhop: =coinín just fyi :D

huntress86":2urgnyvp said:
I studied Gaelic for a few years, being full Irish I figured it was kind of a no-brainer, well, that and my mother pressed it. Seems simple enough, the alphabet is shorter, but to me once you learn how to enunciate words a certain way, doing it a different way is like going against the grain to me. Seems to be the hardest part.

But how do you pronounce that? :p

I've compared how Gaelic looks to how Gaelic sounds, and all I can do is shake my head. There seems to be no correlation. :lol:

I've got Scottish and Irish on one side, and Cajun on the other. Since I grew up in Louisiana, Mom wanted me to take French. I'm glad I did... I love French. It sounds like smooth, melted chocolate. It's just gorgeous.

I've thought about learning Gaelic, since that is my heritage as well. :)

Miss M":nqmb5m1x said:
huntress86":nqmb5m1x said:

But how do you pronounce that? :p

I've compared how Gaelic looks to how Gaelic sounds, and all I can do is shake my head. There seems to be no correlation. :lol:

I've got Scottish and Irish on one side, and Cajun on the other. Since I grew up in Louisiana, Mom wanted me to take French. I'm glad I did... I love French. It sounds like smooth, melted chocolate. It's just gorgeous.

I've thought about learning Gaelic, since that is my heritage as well. :)

You say it like co-neen fast. French is such a beautiful language, unlike German. Jk Jk, kinda lol.

I don't know if this will work or not, I don't know how to post videos, but I find this one to be very educational and rewarding.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/-_xUIDRxdmc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe><br /><br />__________ Fri Nov 08, 2013 3:18 am __________<br /><br />or maybe this instead....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-_xUIDRxdmc

Not to jump off the language theme but how on EARTH did you get a ferret to hold still enough, long enough, to dye him????

I have a hard enough time just getting ours to hold still for petting and he is ooooooold.

And back to the language thing, having been an indifferent kind of speller all my life I now get to do spelling words with all my kids. The English language makes absolutely no sense at all, it really doesn't. :evil:

Back