New breeder

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KindRose

Reaction score
So I am new to breeding rabbits. I have started with a pair, a buck mini rex, and doe mini rex. I bred them together last night, the buck had three fall offs. But I noticed two puddles of pee on the ground, one of which the doe peed after the last breeding, and I don’t know who’s the other puddle was. But my question is, should there still be semon in her? Or did she pee it out? Should I put her back in with him? Or wait 31 days?

I hope they teach the basics in school, about anatomy, and that peeing is not a contraceptive.
I just read that you don’t want your doe to urinate before an hour after breeding because it will wash the sperm away. Is that true?

Hi, KindRose! I've read the same thing through all the books and websites I've read about rabbit breeding and think it's a valid question. If it was just last night that you bred them and you aren't sure, I don't think it would hurt to put them back together today just in case, but I'm still very much a newby, so maybe someone more experienced can reply to confirm! Bob Bennett says he regularly puts the doe back in with the buck 8 to 10 hours after the first service just to ensure good fertilization as the eggs are being released.

Okay interesting. I am just worried about getting a big litter, because if she is pregnant I wouldn’t want to make the litter size bigger😅

I'd probably just wait and see then! Maybe try to palpate in a few weeks. I haven't been able to figure out how to palpate yet, so I hope you have better luck with it than me! And I hope she's pregnant!

I'd probably just wait and see then! Maybe try to palpate in a few weeks. I haven't been able to figure out how to palpate yet, so I hope you have better luck with it than me! And I hope she's pregnant!
Thank you!

I just read that you don’t want your doe to urinate before an hour after breeding because it will wash the sperm away. Is that true?
I read a lot of Nonsense on the internet today.

If you don't have a live female specimen that would put up with that or explain it(very patient girlfriend) available, take a look anatomical drawings. No, it's not going to wash sperm away, different hole.

I read a lot of Nonsense on the internet today.

If you don't have a live female specimen that would put up with that or explain it(very patient girlfriend) available, take a look anatomical drawings. No, it's not going to wash sperm away, different hole.
So she should take?

as you can see, the bladder and the uterus are far enough apart that if the sperm made it past the vestibule, which is the most likely event, her peeing wouldn't affect the fertility

Attachments

• 1cb172083590a73ede8fe9d1b7b2d792.gif
    1cb172083590a73ede8fe9d1b7b2d792.gif
    23.4 KB · Views: 11
Rabbit breeding is simple until it's not. I have been told to watch the female for urination after. But whether it may possibly affect it or not, you will know in a month. I guess if you are under a serious production requirement (and hopefully not), you can always try again. Simply put, if you get one or more fall offs, there is a high likelihood that doe will need a place to nest in about a month. More fall offs are better but my understanding is that the fall off itself indicates connection has occurred. Does can be potentially bred without a fall off just as a bitch can sometimes be bred without a tie (but much less likely). I haven't been able to figure out the palpation so I wait and see. I am breeding more than one doe so easier to be patient now. My only real concern so far has been one cycle my best doe missed and she puts on weight easily so I have had to manage that closely.

Thanks Golden, that drawing clears up the concern/confusion for me greatly. I can see how someone might think sperm could be washed away. If that were a concern, multiple fall offs would certainly solve the problem. Are huge litters really a problem? I thought litter size would be random based on hormonal response. Since any particular ejaculation usually has millions of swimmers, one time would be stimulus enough. Is there a correlation between multiple copulations to litter size?

Rabbit breeding is simple until it's not. I have been told to watch the female for urination after. But whether it may possibly affect it or not, you will know in a month. I guess if you are under a serious production requirement (and hopefully not), you can always try again. Simply put, if you get one or more fall offs, there is a high likelihood that doe will need a place to nest in about a month. More fall offs are better but my understanding is that the fall off itself indicates connection has occurred. Does can be potentially bred without a fall off just as a bitch can sometimes be bred without a tie (but much less likely). I haven't been able to figure out the palpation so I wait and see. I am breeding more than one doe so easier to be patient now. My only real concern so far has been one cycle my best doe missed and she puts on weight easily so I have had to manage that closely.
Thanks she has since then had a litter of four

Back