Nestbox full o' popples!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Half Caper Farm

Reaction score
And I know I'm allowed to say "popples"! :lol: Popples, popples, popples! Ha!

One of my Japanese Harlequins had a lovely litter this morning. Lots and lots of fur pulled - clever girl! I just had a quick peek as it's chilly, but looks to be at least 8 or 9. One dead one, neatly placed at the front of the box away from the live ones.

The other Jap is sitting in her nestbox (bred the same day), so I've left her to get on with it, if that's what she's doing!

Can't see much colour on the kits - these are my first Japs, so are they a bit paler as a rule? It was a chocolate Magpie buck on a chocolate Jap doe, if that makes any difference?

I know nothing about harlequins let alone Japanese Harlequins but I'm looking forward to pictures!!!

congrats:)

Harlequin 101 :)

Harlequins come in two varieties - Magpie and Harlequin, and four colours - black, blue, chocolate and lilac. Blue is the dilute of black, and lilac is the dilute of chocolate.

In a Magpie, the background colour is white. In a Japanese, the background colour is red. Preferably a deep, vibrant red, as opposed to a sandy red. The Japs have a few more disqualifications colour-wise than the Magpies, so they are a little harder to breed. But it makes it interesting!

harlequin babies I find are light when they are either japanese or magpie chocolates or blues.
I can usually tell day two what they are going to be.

If they are anything like my litter that's similar mix (blue jap buck to chocolate magpie doe)....they'll be all chocolate japs. All five of them!

oh lilac anything sounds PRETTY :)
actually I kind of have picture in my head now - thanks ;)

Thank you for that color info and congratulations!
Would love to see pics
B~

Half Caper Farm":13pza496 said:
In a Japanese, the background colour is red.

Er, technically, the standard calls for Golden Orange. So not quite a "vibrant" red, but maybe a muted red ;)

moonkitten":1709iyq7 said:
Half Caper Farm":1709iyq7 said:
In a Japanese, the background colour is red.

Er, technically, the standard calls for Golden Orange. So not quite a "vibrant" red, but maybe a muted red ;)

Well, as far as animal colours go - I was thinking along the lines of horse colours - chestnut can range from a washy pale orange, to what I would call "red" chestnut to very dark "liver" chestnut. I wasn't meaning red as in "fire-engine". :lol: "Red" as opposed to "sandy beige".

Brody":1nsa6qw1 said:
HAHAHA she might be doing stuff you can't see yet :)

Nah. I checked when she came out to eat.

But . . . this morning, she's working away in there and there is fur flying around the cage! :D

They're in a shed that only has a big overhead door, so I won't check until I feed tonight. I figure the less time that door is open, the better! I'm sure there will be another nestbox full - and both will be coming inside the house tonight - nasty cold out there!

yah it's getting cold fast - wild after being so mild this morning ...
and I think waiting to check is a most excellent idea - hope she's had a chance to feed them before you have to move box

Both boxes are in the house. Not quite so many in the 2nd litter, but some very definite black marked kits. :D This mama didn't pull near so much fur, so I've nicked a bit from the first litter.

On the downside, the Lionhead buck that I'd planned to keep for breeding, because the other one is too big, decided to kick the bucket today. No obvious reason, he'd been eating and drinking. He was in the goat barn too, which isn't quite so cold as the rabbit barn. Oh well. Guess I'll sell the rest, and concentrate on my meat rabbits. :|

Back