Need advice - bucks showing signs of vent disease

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kacklingkelly

Reaction score
My reason for raising back yard meat rabbits was to provide antibiotic and hormone free meat for my family. I got two does from a breeder who kept her rabbits in an air conditioned garage she had made specific for her rabbits. It was pristine. That was about 1 1/2 years ago. I got my buck from a craigslist add from a guy who kept his rabbits free roaming in his yard with cages they could go in and out of as they wanted. (colony?) That was last year. I need hardy rabbits because our summers are brutal here. I thought the combo of the two would provide great offspring.

All were checked over before coming to my home. Never had rabbits before. Did lots of research before getting any. Buck was quarantined for one month before first breedings. Both does have provided great offspring. All of which were rehomed. (only one litter each) I kept a couple back due to family members wanting to keep them. I have been taking the process slowly due to the learning curve.

Last week I noticed my buck had ear mites. When I took him out to check him over, both testicles were swollen. Closer exam revealed all the tell tale signs of vent disease (based on my research). He is in quarantine. Ear mites are almost completely gone. Got combo penicillin from feed store. Has had a first in the series of penicillin shots. Also has had some butt baths to clean him up. He is less swollen now but still has some scabbing.

I was going out to sanitize all cages today. I checked my other two bucks and they have small scabs (not as many) with no swelling. None of the does are exhibiting any obvious signs.

Now the dilemma. I was OK treating one buck and figured I could take him out of rotation. But the thought of all my rabbits either being exposed to or having signs of vent disease needing antibiotic treatment has me questioning whether to continue with this group. I have no idea if it's even safe to eat the meat of these or other offspring from this group. (I can't bring myself to even think about eating it even if it is safe) I am not doing any further breeding with this group. I may just give up on the whole experience. My family has been thinking I'm nuts for doing it anyway.

If you have read this far, thank you. Any feedback you can provide is greatly appreciated.

My family, too, thinks I'm nuts. :insane: but I enjoy it. DH stated "I'd better see a profit from these things" :p :lol: :lol: Ya right. But I got into it for the same reasons as you. You stated you wanted to provide antibiotic and hormone free meat has been shot out the window at this point. Personally I'd cut my losses and start from scratch. Given the impression I got about your feelings.

Look at your setup. Then look for a breeder that has a setup as close to yours as possible. Your info doesn't include your state so I have no idea what your climate is like. The term "brutal summers" is subjective. Here in Missouri we could have back to back 100*+ days and then. Poof 70's. To me that's brutal, you never know if your coming or going. :x :lol: :lol: Lows just a week ago were 45*, but today we have a heat index of 105*.

That's the best advise I can give. I've only had rabbits for 5 months, but did do 2yrs of research before bringing them home.

The meat should be find to eat, but you were wanting "antibiotic and hormone free meat". Overall it still should be safer than the meat you buy at the store. You don't even want to know what factory farms are passing "meat". :sick:

I appreciate your response. I'll update my profile. We are in southwest desert. 110 - 115 is common in the summer months. summer night lows are in the 80's-90's. Our rabbits are kept in an air conditioned shed during the summer. I need some objective feedback before I make a decision. Yours certainly helped.

I don't know the withdrawal time for penicillin but I'd find out, keep them long enough that they can be eaten and then send the whole works to freezer camp. Sanitize everything, putting cages and equipment in the sun for several days and then start fresh.

The meat should be fine since it is cooked. Don't feed anything raw from these rabbits to your pets though.

WamplerCathy gave good advice about buying from a breeder with a set-up similar to yours. In addition, buy both bucks and does from the same breeder. Never mind about possible inbreeding . . . It is not an issue unless pursued for something like 17 generations of direct sibling crosses. The object is to get rabbits that share the same "family germs" and immunities. Every time you bring in "fresh blood" you increase your chances of bringing in a problem.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging, but I do urge you not to give up. The cost of the equipment and set-up far exceeds the cost of new stock. Cut your losses and try again.

:good-luck:

BTW, I would LITERALLY die in those temperatures. Unbearable. :cry:

Appreciate the feedback. I used to be able to tolerate the heat better when I was younger. It literally sucks the life right out of me these days. Looking for a cooler place to retire to with a little piece of property to raise the critters I want. Thanks again

Latest posts

Back