Mini Rex: color game-plan

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Desolim

Reaction score
I want to produce blue, chocolate, and possibly lilac mini rexs. Any advice on how to do so while keeping low numbers?
I was thinking an lilac buck and two does, a chocolate and a blue?

With that combination you won't get any lilacs unless the blue doe carries chocolate or the chocolate doe carries dilute but you could always keep back a daughter if you decide you want lilac

Keep in mind you could also get other colours, such as himilayan, REW, torts, sables in blue and chocolate (and possibly lilac) versions if the buck and does have other hidden recessives

It's all going to depend on recessives. A blue doesn't have to have the gene for chocolate which means no chocolates or lilacs. A chocolate doesn't have to have the dilution gene so no blues or lilacs. What I would do is cross a lilac buck to 2 black does. All the black offspring will carry the genes for chocolate and dilute giving you all those colors. When you have the number of black 2nd generation does you want to breed sell the original black does and breed the daughters to the lilac buck. You should get all 4 colors from then on. There is a chance for other self colors that you will have to decide what to do with.

Latest posts

Back