LOTR Marathon

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JenerationX":2ot2wo6p said:
Sure does! I finished the book just now... I've read it probably once a year for the past 30.
I'll probably be reading it aloud (starting with "The Hobbit") to the family again soon. One or two chapters a night. :)

akane":2ot2wo6p said:
We started harry potter movies yesterday but this sounds better. I hunted down an extended cut of the first movie so far.
The extended cuts are awesome... so much more in them! :p

MamaSheepdog":2ot2wo6p said:
:evil: You aren't questioning the purity of my motives, are you?!?!
Well... considering that you'd have lembas, and I'd have Twizzlers :sick: ... yes. Yes, I am. :twisted:

MamaSheepdog":2ot2wo6p said:
I'm glad I'm not the only nerd out there that reads books over and over and OVER again. :geek: My LOTR books have probably been replaced at least 3 or 4 times after they have fallen apart. :roll:
the reluctant farmer":2ot2wo6p said:
I read great books over & over as well. I find that I pick up on subtleties that were missed in the first reading. Also, really well-told stories gain depth with each reading.
Absolutely... there are few books I'll read over and over. If I do, it's this kind of book. It never gets old, because every time you read it, you discover more and more about it.

EnglishSpot":2ot2wo6p said:
Tonight is 'The Desolation of Smaug' (#2 of the Hobbit prequels) and the menu is pizza, chips, donuts, and whatever else the attendees decide to bring!!
:p Hope y'all had an awesome time!

the reluctant farmer":2ot2wo6p said:
. Creative people come up with creative solutions. That sounded like so much fun!
It was a lot of fun! :D

JenerationX":2ot2wo6p said:
Who's watched any of the movies with the cast commentary on?
Nope... though I've been tempted to. I haven't been sure that it wouldn't drive me nuts.

HOWEVER, like Phacelia, we have watched all of the special features... all of the additional material that comes with the director's cut sets we have. Every last bit of it, except for a very few of the slideshows of sketches... my mom can't enjoy them very much, because she can't see very well, and most of the sketches are so very light.

Fascinating and funny material. It was amazing learning about how they made the costumes, funny to hear about how some of the things you see in the movies came about accidentally, neat to learn how Billy Boyd ended up singing that haunting song in "The Return of the King" (taken from a few lines of Bilbo's "Walking Song", which you hear Gandalf singing some of at the beginning of "The Fellowship of the Ring").

Easy Ears":2ot2wo6p said:
Favorite characters, everyone? :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:
Oh dear... um... um... uhhhhhhh...

Miss M":21539x26 said:
funny to hear about how some of the things you see in the movies came about accidentally, neat to learn how Billy Boyd ended up singing that haunting song in "The Return of the King" (taken from a few lines of Bilbo's "Walking Song", which you hear Gandalf singing some of at the beginning of "The Fellowship of the Ring").

That by far is the best part of having the full set of bonus features. I don't remember if it was in there or the commentary, but apparently Viggo Mortenson's scream in the final cut when he kicks the helmet and falls to his knees, at what he believes is Merry and Pippens demise, was so convincing because he broke two of his toes in that take.

I'm home today.... so let the marathon begin. :popcorn:

EasyEars, ummmmmm one character? :eek:verreaction: :SOSSOS: :wr_throwchair: I can't. I need all of them.

EnglishSpot":3odkneot said:
Why do people think it's strange to read books over and over??? How many times have movie junkies seen LOTR, the Terminator movies, Harry Potters, etc? Don't they see the parallel??

"Scarlet O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when as caught by her charms as the Tarleton twins were. For in her face were too sharply blended the florid features..."

No, I didn't look it up, and yes, it's just one of many books I consider "friends". Watching the LOTR and The Hobbit films, I often either quote the dialog along with the characters, or grumble to my hubby, "They changed the words."

We did the LOTR marathon when the third movie cam out. We watched the first one in the morning on my big projection TV and surround sound, then ordered lunch in, watched the second one in the afternoon, went out for dinner then watched the third one in the theater. It was a great Saturday and I wish we could do it again for some collections. The Terminator series would be great and the Bourne series would be excellent. It's just a matter of getting people together when we all have the time which might never happen.

Now you all know where my username came from! :rotfl:

EnglishSpot":2wv5jw31 said:
Why do people think it's strange to read books over and over??? How many times have movie junkies seen LOTR, the Terminator movies, Harry Potters, etc? Don't they see the parallel??

Beats me... I read my books over and over again so much... I'm such a geek... :geek: :lol:

JenerationX":2wv5jw31 said:
Miss M":2wv5jw31 said:
Crawling up Mount Doom happens a lot faster in the movie than it does in the book!

Sure does! I finished the book just now... I've read it probably once a year for the past 30.

Christopher Lee (Saruman) does that, too! I have got to read it again...

the reluctant farmer":2wv5jw31 said:
I read great books over & over as well. I find that I pick up on subtleties that were missed in the first reading. Also, really well-told stories gain depth with each reading. What I visualized and discovered when reading LOTR for the first time when I was 13 is very different from what I experience after 36 more years of life experience.

You can say that again... every time I reread LOTR I discover new things; it's so cool!

Marinea":2wv5jw31 said:
"Scarlet O'Hara was not beautiful, but men seldom realized it when as caught by her charms as the Tarleton twins were. For in her face were too sharply blended the florid features..."

No, I didn't look it up, and yes, it's just one of many books I consider "friends".

:fainting: You quoted that from memory?! You're good!

Marinea":2wv5jw31 said:
Watching the LOTR and The Hobbit films, I often either quote the dialog along with the characters, or grumble to my hubby, "They changed the words."

:lol: :lol: :lol: I get what you mean. When we first watched it, I would interrupt it with "Hey, where's Gildor?! He was supposed to meet Frodo on the road out of the Shire! They got rid of him!!!" or "Wait, Arwen wasn't the one who found them. What happened to Glorfindel?! They got rid of him, too?!!" or "They didn't say that!" or "That's not what happened!" :lol: :lol: :lol: . All things considered, though, they did do a very close job! :D I still miss Gildor and Glorfindel...

Easy Ears":2wv5jw31 said:
Favorite characters, everyone? :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn: :popcorn:

EasyEars, ummmmmm one character? :eek:verreaction: :SOSSOS: :wr_throwchair: I can't. I need all of them.

Ditto! :lol:

That by far is the best part of having the full set of bonus features. I don't remember if it was in there or the commentary, but apparently Viggo Mortenson's scream in the final cut when he kicks the helmet and falls to his knees, at what he believes is Merry and Pippens demise, was so convincing because he broke two of his toes in that take.

I love the bonus features, too! They are so funny!

Miss M":2wv5jw31 said:
I'll probably be reading it aloud (starting with "The Hobbit") to the family again soon. One or two chapters a night. :)

Yay!!!!

Phacelia":2wv5jw31 said:
I have sat and watched EVERY special feature, though.... and played the PS2 game :ugeek: .

While we haven't watched every bonus feature, Bunny-Wan and I have played the Lego "Lord of the Rings" Wii game! :geek: :p

We have harry potter and lotr lego games Josh and I have completed. I think there's an indian jones one too but we might have just borrowed that from my sister. I suck at such games though. :lol: If you can fall off a ledge I will do it at some point.

Marinea":3o5exqrt said:
akane":3o5exqrt said:
an indiana jones one too

Ooh, another great series!

"Snakes. Why'd it have to be snakes?"
*snickersnort*

I love Indiana Jones, too! :indy-jones:

In fact... John Rhys-Davies plays Sallah in "Indiana Jones", But he plays Gimli the dwarf in "Lord of the Rings"! The man's like six-foot-six or something, but he plays a dwarf! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Marinea":1buui0sj said:
akane":1buui0sj said:
an indiana jones one too

Ooh, another great series!

*snickersnort*

I love Indiana Jones, too! :indy-jones:

In fact... John Rhys-Davies plays Sallah in "Indiana Jones", But he plays Gimli the dwarf in "Lord of the Rings"! The man's like six-foot-six or something, but he plays a dwarf! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The camera tricks in lotr are interesting. I was just noticing the slight slant of the camera whenever there are scenes with just hobbits so it seems like you are looking down on them a little.

JenerationX":z88nh5r8 said:
I don't remember if it was in there or the commentary, but apparently Viggo Mortenson's scream in the final cut when he kicks the helmet and falls to his knees, at what he believes is Merry and Pippens demise, was so convincing because he broke two of his toes in that take.
YES, that was in the special features... they played a few of the other takes, too. The one where he broke his toes was by far the best, because he used the pain to help him produce a very authentic cry of anguish!

JenerationX":z88nh5r8 said:
I'm home today.... so let the marathon begin. :popcorn:
Aha! :p Have fun!

Marinea":z88nh5r8 said:
or grumble to my hubby, "They changed the words."
:lol: Yeah, we do the same thing. As Galadriel said, she was particularly disturbed by the deletion of Gildor and the replacing of Glorfindel with Arwen. I had to explain the art of selective compression, which is a necessary evil in movies, because you simply cannot introduce all of the characters and situations in a movie that you can in a book.

The added situation we despise is that of Frodo and Sam being separated at Cirith Ungol. The special features, while explaining the thought behind it, did not satisfy our objection to it. The added situation we love is the elves showing up at Helm's Deep. That was just way too awesome for words!

Truckinguy":z88nh5r8 said:
We did the LOTR marathon when the third movie cam out. We watched the first one in the morning on my big projection TV and surround sound, then ordered lunch in, watched the second one in the afternoon, went out for dinner then watched the third one in the theater.
That sounds like a great day! :p

Galadriel":z88nh5r8 said:
:fainting: You quoted that from memory?! You're good!
Galadriel is too modest. I remember her, age 7, telling me about a book she was reading, as I drove her somewhere. At one point, I decided she had given up telling me about it, and was now reading it to me. Then, at a stoplight, I looked back at her, and realized there was no book open on her lap. She was reciting it to me from memory. :shock:

akane":z88nh5r8 said:
The camera tricks in lotr are interesting. I was just noticing the slight slant of the camera whenever there are scenes with just hobbits so it seems like you are looking down on them a little.
Yes, and the special features go into those, too. Our jaws dropped when we saw the table they had built for the scene with Bilbo serving tea to Gandalf -- the thing was two pieces, cut just so, with large things and small things set just right to force perspective and trick the eye. Gandalf's wagon was the same way. We just loved how they used old-fashioned camera tricks at every opportunity, rather than resorting to CGI all the time. The sets... everything was just amazing and fascinating!

Marinea":26bsbug4 said:

No, I didn't look it up, and yes, it's just one of many books I consider "friends"

:fainting:

Phacelia":26bsbug4 said:
I have sat and watched EVERY special feature, though.... and played the PS2 game :ugeek:.

When it comes to special features I only missed a few slides of various sketches of characters/places. I haven't played the PS2 game but the wii lego one is funny! :ugeek:

Marinea":26bsbug4 said:

one of my favorite lines from the series! :p :p :p

Easy Ears":26bsbug4 said:

even I don't know who my favorite character is :shock:

JenerationX":26bsbug4 said:
I've read it probably once a year for the past 30.

Only once!!! :D

(By the way, for anybody wondering what Bunny-Wan Kenobi was doing up at 1 am, he's got something of a bad cough. I let him come in here to sit up, to hopefully get his coughing to subside. :) I took him to the doctor today, to make sure he wasn't developing an infection.)

Bunny-Wan Kenobi":2j8pqm07 said:
one of my favorite lines from the series! :p :p :p
I think you and your sister have seen only the first movie? Or were you referring to your Lego Indiana Jones game?

GWTW is a friend sitting on my shelf--I even have 'Scarlett' which was a worthy sequel written about 20 years ago.

I love the Indiana Jones movies!! #3 was on the other day at work and I love the scene where Indy and Elsa are in the catacombs in Venice and she points to a grave painting, "What's that?" Indy looks and says, "The Ark of the Covenant." Else goes, "Are you sure?" Indy, "Positive." Cracked me up!!

I really like Battlefield Earth by L. Ron Hubbard (NOT the movie which was awful) and the brand new Stormlight series written by Brandon Sanderson. It's only has two books out currently but I've read them both four times already.

I've watched Dances With Wolves with the commentary on, and that was really cool.

EnglishSpot":23nnf61l said:
GWTW is a friend sitting on my shelf--I even have 'Scarlett' which was a worthy sequel written about 20 years ago..

I loved "Scarlett" as well, but somehow managed to lose that one in one of our moves. I need to look for another copy.

Another "series" we enjoy here are the "Mummy" movies.

Marinea":3qjynd8n said:
EnglishSpot":3qjynd8n said:
GWTW is a friend sitting on my shelf--I even have 'Scarlett' which was a worthy sequel written about 20 years ago..

I loved "Scarlett" as well, but somehow managed to lose that one in one of our moves. I need to look for another copy.

Another "series" we enjoy here are the "Mummy" movies.

I love the Mummy movies too... they're fun. Stuck inside today and just finished watching the Pirates of the Caribbean movies. They're a guilty pleasure too.

Back