Losing my beautiful girl

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColdBrook

Reaction score
Everyone wish me luck getting through Friday morning when the vet comes to put down my beautiful Arabian mare (that's her in my avatar) due to a really bad wound that just won't heal. He believes it's cancer. We've been trying for six weeks to get some improvement. I just cannot bear to see her in pain any longer, and with the cold aggravating the situation, we had to make this call. I know it's what is best for her but it's going to be so difficult to stand there and hold her and watch this magnificent beauty fall. I've never had to do this before and I never want to do it again. :cry: She was given to me two years ago this month as a "problem horse" and she's not been any problem at all...it was the people with the problem, not this amazing little mare. She's been an angel for me so the least I can do for her is to give her wings and let her fly free of pain.

I'm really sorry. I have only had to put down one dog so far. My boys are 6, and I dread the day when it comes for them.

So sorry that you have to go through this, my heart goes out to you.
Tracie

I am so sorry. I know how hard it is to make such a decision and I respect you for doing what is best, no matter how hard it is. Most of us view our animals as a part of our family. I will keep you and your beautiful mare in my prayers. May she spread her winds and fly!!!

My heart is aching for you. It still amazes me how quickly animals can intwine themselves in our hearts.

I hope both you and she find peace.

I'm so sorry, Coldbrook! (((Hugs)))

I have always been there for my animals when they are put down, but have not had to experience that with my horses. I was present for a euthanasia of a mare with colic, but thankfully she was lying down when she was given the drug to put her out of her misery.

If at all possible, get your mare to lie down. If you can't do that, it might be better to ask someone else to hold her for those last moments so you are not left with the memory of her crashing to the ground. I have been told by other horse owners how the image haunts them. :(

My husband and his brother used to have a grading business and owned a backhoe, and as a service to the community, they would bury peoples horses free of charge. They discouraged the owners from being present while the horse was moved to the grave.

Two of our horses are over 30, and they belong to my eldest son and daughter. I am not looking forward to being faced with what you are going through. My heart goes out to you, but I think you are doing the right thing for her.

I hope you can spend some quality time with her in these last days and treat her to the most scrumptious bucket of nummies ever as her last meal.

Try to focus on the wonderful two years that she gave you and you gave her to help you through your grieving. She is a gorgeous horse, and you were so lucky to be able to share those years with her! I think she must have finally "come home" since she was not a "problem horse" after all.

Thank you all for the kind words of support. I did read about raw honey treatment and tried it early on along with the vet treatment but she's not healing. I am really afraid of being there with her but more upset at the idea of not being there for her at the end. She's my special girl and deserves my support and love as the last moment arrives and I'll do my best to hold her up till she goes down and ease her as gently as possible from this life. We own a backhoe and will be burying her ourselves. That will be hard too as there's not an easy way to be dignified about it, but we'll do our best. I know hubby will be crying his eyes out along with me as we bury her. Her pasture mate, my gelding Lyric, will be lost without her but hopefully the goats will keep him company so he's not too depressed and lonely.

That is very brave of you, ColdBrook. I must admit, I would probably do the same.

I would prepare the grave ahead of time and have her as near to it as possible when she is euthanized so you don't have far to move her. ((Hugs))

I don't know you, but I want you to know that my heart goes out to you. This is a tough situation and you seem to be handling it the best you know how. I will be praying for you and your family. {{{hugs}}}

I am so very very sorry you have to face such a tough situation, she is a beautiful mare! Losing a beloved pet...best fur friend......is a very hard thing to go through. I wish you much peace as you go through this with her. :(

Heartfelt condolences on losing your beautiful girl. Hoping you and Lyric find peace knowing that you spent such a lovely time with your beautiful girl. Hate to see them leave so soon, but being so compassionate to let them leave, my hats off to you.

Karen

It's done and we're coping but I wanted to share a couple pictures of my beautiful, sweet girl, Isis with you all since you've been so caring and kind. I was brave and bore up well till the vet left. Lyric, however, was not so calm or accepting. I tied him in the barn, he broke free. I boarded him in with 2x6's and spikes...he crashed through them and galloped to her body and stood over her whinnying. It's heart rending to see him grieving too. They've been inseparable for two years. Fly with the angels, Isis. You will be as sorely missed as you were dearly loved.

232323232%7Ffp54435%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3593%3A958%3C%3A34%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp54433%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3593%3A9593334%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp73489%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3593%3A554%3B434%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp5435%3B%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3593%3A9659334%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3B4%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3593%3A554%3B234%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp543%3B6%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3593%3A9854%3A34%3Anu0mrj

232323232%7Ffp5434%3A%3Enu%3D47%3A5%3E33%3A%3E259%3EWSNRCG%3D3593%3A9854634%3Anu0mrj

So sorry for your pain. I am glad she is no longer suffering. What a gift you have given her. Freedom from pain.

Back