Litter problems with New Does

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not as experienced as the others providing you advise but I am experienced in the "doe won't use the nestbox" problem! Both my does refused to use the metal boxes I purchased from Bass. Period. They would not be reasonable about it. So, friends built two wooden nestboxes. One doe said "thanks very much, I accept". The other doe said, "thanks, but no thanks" and proceeded to build outside the nestbox again. So....once she kindled -- on a well "hay carpeted" wire cage floor -- I gathered them up and put them in the wooden nestbox. She had a bit of a snit -- actually checked to see if I kidnapped any of her babies! -- and settled in to momma duties just fine. We will see if the next time she builds in or out of the box.

The friends that build the wood boxes suggested that I paint the metal boxes brown...that perhaps the shininess of the metal is what is off-putting to them. I haven't yet...but I will...maybe I'll do them up as camo???

The doe gets greens, all the pellets she wants, 1/2 cup oats, 1-2 tbs. calf manna and all the hay she wants. All my does who will kindle are kept in the heated basement (60 degrees) and the kits are placed in grow out pens in the basement. Don't ever want to lose another litter to the the cold temps.

Will try a wooden box on my next doe.

Thanks!

Latest posts

Back