Lepidium latifolium (tall whitetop) - seems good!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JessiL

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
I just wanted to share that I have been having no problems with feeding one large plant a day of tall whitetop (Lepidium latifolium, aka perennial pepperweed) to each of my American Blues and Champagne d'Argents for the past two months. This plant is considered a noxious weed in northern Nevada, and I was concerned when I found a big patch of it growing on our driveway. But then I remembered that researchers at the University of Nevada-Reno have been experimenting with controlling the plant by intensive grazing with sheep or goats. So after looking for any evidence that it might be toxic, I tried introducing it to the buns. They love it, and it seems to be harmless. Best of all, I am slowly depleting my weed patch! Too bad field bindweed (Convolvulus arvensis), which is the next weed patch down the line, is most likely quite toxic so I cannot control it in this fashion.

Here is a photo of the weed patch, and another slightly closer of the plants. I am trying to get it all fed before it sets flower, as apparently the patability will drop a lot at that time. Plus, I really don't want any more of this stuff around - if I eventually get rid of every last whitetop plant doing this, that's ok!

Attachments

• Whitetop01.JPG
    Whitetop01.JPG
    913.1 KB · Views: 419
  • Whitetop02.JPG
    Whitetop02.JPG
    750.9 KB · Views: 419
Shoot, I meant to post this in Natural Feeding! Newbie mistake, I'm sorry. I hope everyone over in this forum enjoys it. And thanks for your comment, Miss M, but I'm pretty sure tall whitetop is mostly a weed of the Great Basin, Great Plains, and Colorado Plateau - but I'm sure there's plenty of southern weeds just begging to be put to use with your rabbits!

-Jessi

Back