Journey into quail

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes! It's amazing! Each time I look in on them they have more and more feathers. Insanely fast compared to chickens. We did loose one last night. Somehow got wedged into the feeder hole. No clue how. The holes are plenty small enough. I can't figure out how it happened. They are larger than day old chicken chicks who have no issues using them. So out of 20 we still have 18. one died a day after birth. Really had no interest in eating. Not sure why but I know it happens.
Wondering how long it will take for the adults to start laying again after being moved. I'm assuming a few days more since we moved their cage into the barn last night. They were getting cold in the crazy winds we have. A bunch of them are featherless on their backs. Looks like they are molting. Makes sense but didn't think about quail doing that. Have lights being delivered today that we will install. Any suggestions on how long to leave them on through winter? I've read 14-16 hours to help with laying? Being in the barn now will leave too much darkness for them so lights will be a must through winter.
I also do lights...i find about 14 hours works well here for chickens and quail. I have them come on a half hour before dawn then back them up a half hour every 5 to 7 days till you're where you want to be. And i have them shut off ahead of sunset so my birds know to roost naturally.

I also don't start my lights this time of year till my chickens are finished with their molt.

It just depends on the bird as to how long it will take for them to start laying again. I've had some that didn't miss a beat and others that took up to 2 months. Moulting can reallt mess up egg production especially when coupled with a move. I have a set right now that stopped 3 weeks ago and still nothing. They're moulting as well so I just have to be patient. I am winding down the hatching for the winter so maybe one more hatch if I can get some eggs out of them. 🤣
Great! Thanks! That will help me not think I'm doing something wrong when they don't start back soon. The previous owner said she was getting 4-6 eggs a day right now out of all 13 hens. I need to take another count but I keep getting 16 instead of 15 in that pen. Still need to identify the roos. Especially with the confusion on how many and where. I'd be bummed if I processed the two solo roos and there wasn't roos with the hens. I'd like to incubate this winter when the house temps are more consistent.
Did give the crew meal worms today. The previous owner said they gave them but I suspect not live ones by their reaction. Eventually some got the hang of it. At the least they will find snacks while digging in the sand. Was really fun to see them dust bathing and digging after I gave their sand a really good sifting.

I also do lights...i find about 14 hours works well here for chickens and quail. I have them come on a half hour before dawn then back them up a half hour every 5 to 7 days till you're where you want to be. And i have them shut off ahead of sunset so my birds know to roost naturally.

I also don't start my lights this time of year till my chickens are finished with their molt.
When do you start your lights? We haven't used lights for the chickens because we still get enough eggs during the winter to keep us going. We do at times have a heat lamp on a timer but not until it gets colder.
Thank you for that timing advice. That makes sense and not something I would have thought of at the moment.

Edited to add another question. These quail have been here over 48 hours now and I haven't heard a single roo crow. Should I be concerned? I need to figure out who the 2 roos are in with the hens still. There are two in the top cage. You'd think with 4 roos I'd have heard something by now. Am I being impatient?

Last edited:
Great! Thanks! That will help me not think I'm doing something wrong when they don't start back soon. The previous owner said she was getting 4-6 eggs a day right now out of all 13 hens. I need to take another count but I keep getting 16 instead of 15 in that pen. Still need to identify the roos. Especially with the confusion on how many and where. I'd be bummed if I processed the two solo roos and there wasn't roos with the hens. I'd like to incubate this winter when the house temps are more consistent.
Did give the crew meal worms today. The previous owner said they gave them but I suspect not live ones by their reaction. Eventually some got the hang of it. At the least they will find snacks while digging in the sand. Was really fun to see them dust bathing and digging after I gave their sand a really good sifting.
I started out with the brooder inside the house but I kept getting really sick and couldn't figure out why until the neighbor pointed out during a coffee session that I seemed to only get sick when there were babies in the house. It was warm so I put them in the garage and the relief was almost immediate. It doesn't bother some people but they have a TON of dander and apparently I can't handle it. I can and have had chicken chicks in the house with no problem.

My roos don't make noise unless they're upset about something. They have their ladies and they're quiet. The only time I have a lot of noise is with the juveniles before I butcher but once they're settled in to their little families it's pretty rare to hear them here.

Yes! It's amazing! Each time I look in on them they have more and more feathers. Insanely fast compared to chickens. We did loose one last night. Somehow got wedged into the feeder hole. No clue how. The holes are plenty small enough. I can't figure out how it happened. They are larger than day old chicken chicks who have no issues using them. So out of 20 we still have 18. one died a day after birth. Really had no interest in eating. Not sure why but I know it happens.
Wondering how long it will take for the adults to start laying again after being moved. I'm assuming a few days more since we moved their cage into the barn last night. They were getting cold in the crazy winds we have. A bunch of them are featherless on their backs. Looks like they are molting. Makes sense but didn't think about quail doing that. Have lights being delivered today that we will install. Any suggestions on how long to leave them on through winter? I've read 14-16 hours to help with laying? Being in the barn now will leave too much darkness for them so lights will be a must through winter.
Yes I read 14-16, so I set my timer to give15 hours with good results. My small aviary has lots of windows. Think natural light is important (vitamin D and more) but strands of led Xmas lights connected to a cheap $4 timer work well to extend their day. A few hours morning and again at night. Their lower light gives them a more natural gradual change than a bright light snapping on or off. Signals them to settle down.Their egg production may vary. But the only day with no eggs was the 4th of July. Guess all the noise, extra traffic going past, barking dogs in the neighborhood was too much stress. The roos are often contributing to those bald backs. I find they get more aggressive with season changes, full moons, especially the super moon. When that coincides with molting, the girls can get a little raggy.

I started out with the brooder inside the house but I kept getting really sick and couldn't figure out why until the neighbor pointed out during a coffee session that I seemed to only get sick when there were babies in the house. It was warm so I put them in the garage and the relief was almost immediate. It doesn't bother some people but they have a TON of dander and apparently I can't handle it. I can and have had chicken chicks in the house with no problem.

My roos don't make noise unless they're upset about something. They have their ladies and they're quiet. The only time I have a lot of noise is with the juveniles before I butcher but once they're settled in to their little families it's pretty rare to hear them here.
I'll keep that in mind. I have plans to get them outside in the barn near the adults just got to figure out a way to keep them warm and safe. Might have to make a brooder on legs like the adults cages. Right now they are very much in my way and in a closed up room so I'm sure I'm breathing it in. Thanks very much for that info.
Great to know the roos are probably ok. I really need to get my hands on the flock and figure out who is what sex. Make sure the previous owners knew what they were doing and there truly is two roos in with the ladies.
Yes I read 14-16, so I set my timer to give15 hours with good results. My small aviary has lots of windows. Think natural light is important (vitamin D and more) but strands of led Xmas lights connected to a cheap $4 timer work well to extend their day. A few hours morning and again at night. Their lower light gives them a more natural gradual change than a bright light snapping on or off. Signals them to settle down.Their egg production may vary. But the only day with no eggs was the 4th of July. Guess all the noise, extra traffic going past, barking dogs in the neighborhood was too much stress. The roos are often contributing to those bald backs. I find they get more aggressive with season changes, full moons, especially the super moon. When that coincides with molting, the girls can get a little raggy.
Great! I have some low profile LED lights for in the cages now but they may be too bright. I can return them. I'll look into more natural light options like we use for our reptile. Makes perfect sense. They do get some light in the barn but not directly. Great point I hadn't thought of. The chickens when we do use lights have access to natural light so it's something I neglected to think about. Thank you for all the information.

The previous owner provided oyster shell for them but I haven't seen them eat any of it yet nor has the feeder gone down at all. I have ground up baked shells (both chicken and quail egg shells) that I offered them today and they all acted pretty excited to consume some.
When I'm cleaning their cages and sifting the sand I started piling it up into little piles and they love it. So funny to watch them. Like they got a new batch of sand. They roll and scratch around in it having a good time it seems. They all seem happy short of one that seems to have an injured leg/foot. Keeping an eye on it. Still need to figure out how to catch them without them escaping so I can get a handle on which are female and which are male. Need to get the extra males processed next weekend to make room for the chicks. Just not sure there's two males in with the hens right now as there's more birds than was described in the listing. May have to vent sex some of them because some aren't the standard colors that allow color sexing I don't think.
Fun adventure so far. Thanks everyone for the information! Really appreciate it!

I'll keep that in mind. I have plans to get them outside in the barn near the adults just got to figure out a way to keep them warm and safe. Might have to make a brooder on legs like the adults cages. Right now they are very much in my way and in a closed up room so I'm sure I'm breathing it in. Thanks very much for that info.
Great to know the roos are probably ok. I really need to get my hands on the flock and figure out who is what sex. Make sure the previous owners knew what they were doing and there truly is two roos in with the ladies.

Great! I have some low profile LED lights for in the cages now but they may be too bright. I can return them. I'll look into more natural light options like we use for our reptile. Makes perfect sense. They do get some light in the barn but not directly. Great point I hadn't thought of. The chickens when we do use lights have access to natural light so it's something I neglected to think about. Thank you for all the information.

The previous owner provided oyster shell for them but I haven't seen them eat any of it yet nor has the feeder gone down at all. I have ground up baked shells (both chicken and quail egg shells) that I offered them today and they all acted pretty excited to consume some.
When I'm cleaning their cages and sifting the sand I started piling it up into little piles and they love it. So funny to watch them. Like they got a new batch of sand. They roll and scratch around in it having a good time it seems. They all seem happy short of one that seems to have an injured leg/foot. Keeping an eye on it. Still need to figure out how to catch them without them escaping so I can get a handle on which are female and which are male. Need to get the extra males processed next weekend to make room for the chicks. Just not sure there's two males in with the hens right now as there's more birds than was described in the listing. May have to vent sex some of them because some aren't the standard colors that allow color sexing I don't think.
Fun adventure so far. Thanks everyone for the information! Really appreciate it!
I also feed oyster shell and mine eat it but....consumption goes down dramatically when they're moulting because they're not laying so they don't need the extra calcium. I don't think it matters what kind of supplement you feed as long as they're getting the calcium when laying.

I made a brooder box from scrap plywood and front doors of heavy plexiglass (scraps) screwed it on the wall of aviary. Think an old window would work too.IMG_20230114_155245540.jpg One of those plate style brooder heater fits in half.other side has food and water. Kept chicks warm enough even in north woods winter because it's a small enclosed and draft free. They get just one week in house then several weeks in that box. Can see the covey but are protected. When half size of adults they join. Small enough to not be seen as competition but big enough to hold their own. Have integrated many new birds that way without problem. Harvest a few of oldest at that time. Keep about 1 roo for 4-6 hens

@dlynn I think I will be taking inspiration from your brooder to set something up for the future. Mine are currently in my living room right behind me and my desk. Dander isn't too bad for me but by the time they are 2-3 weeks old the changing of the shavings every day gets to be really old.
Hubby insists on keeping the freshly hatched in an aquarium on my kitchen table. A week is all I can handle the poop factory there. I use paper towels there, and feed in caps from a mayo jar. If you can find the narrow lipped , "no drown" base for the waterer, they worked well. Those plate heaters are gentle heat no risk of burning or starting
a fire. Sometimes the chicks even hop up and sit on top so gives extra room for those chicks that are growing big fast. the aviary brooder box I use wood shavings and a regular feeder and same small waterer. The aviary itself has a 2 gallon chicken waterer and big chicken feeder, on the floor. Much easier

@dlynn I think I will be taking inspiration from your brooder to set something up for the future. Mine are currently in my living room right behind me and my desk. Dander isn't too bad for me but by the time they are 2-3 weeks old the changing of the shavings every day gets to be really old.
Wanted to add opening front is easier to clean. Use a small metal dust pan to scrape and scoop. The top is loose, used as a shelf. It slides forward for ventilation when needed. Or prop front up.

Awesome thank you! Once I get mine built I will share pictures.

I have 2 of the plate heaters so no worries there. I am allergic to mayo so will have to figure out something different there but might have an idea with pickle jar lids that might work in that case. I have plenty of extra OSB I can use for the back and sides, an old window with screen I could possibly use for ventilation on top.

Thank you for the inspiration for sure!

I made a brooder box from scrap plywood and front doors of heavy plexiglass (scraps) screwed it on the wall of aviary. Think an old window would work too.View attachment 43411 One of those plate style brooder heater fits in half.other side has food and water. Kept chicks warm enough even in north woods winter because it's a small enclosed and draft free. They get just one week in house then several weeks in that box. Can see the covey but are protected. When half size of adults they join. Small enough to not be seen as competition but big enough to hold their own. Have integrated many new birds that way without problem. Harvest a few of oldest at that time. Keep about 1 roo for 4-6 hens
What a great idea! I'm going to look around and see if we have something to put something similar together. Thanks!
What is the bedding you are using? The quail and cage we just got last week are getting cold at night. They are only on sand. That's how they came. Last night I added a little straw and shavings into their hides. I can't watch them cold. Especially in the high 40's at night right now. Need to get this figure out before real winter gets here.

What a great idea! I'm going to look around and see if we have something to put something similar together. Thanks!
What is the bedding you are using? The quail and cage we just got last week are getting cold at night. They are only on sand. That's how they came. Last night I added a little straw and shavings into their hides. I can't watch them cold. Especially in the high 40's at night right now. Need to get this figure out before real winter gets here.
I use paper towels in , in house aquarium ( only 1 week) then wood shavings in aviary brooder box. The aviary has heavy coated 1/2" mesh covered with sand. A sprinkling of PDZ, Chopped leaves on top. I put wood shavings on top of the wood shelters on each end of aviary. Those get kicked down and mixed with leaves. The roofs of shelters have a piece of heavy vinyl flooring on them (textured, matt finish) under the wood shavings and roofs are loose so can be folded up to clean and collect eggs. My clean up procedure is this... Brooder box they poop most by food and water. I use a small metal dust pan and scrape and scoop that side. Under the heater is much cleaner so slide those shavings over to feeding side and put new shavings on the side they bed down in. The ramps and roof tops of aviary shelters get scraped and scooped and new wood shavings on top. the aviary floor gets spot cleaned and a garden claw is used to stir up the bedding. A few times a year I dig out the compost and old bedding and put it aroundy my berry bushes. I use those large metal chicken waterer and feeders raised slightly on blocks. In winter I use a low wattage (35- 65) heater under their water. The aviary has lots of windows to let in sun. Hinged with coated mesh screening under so are opened and closed depending on weather. Vents near peak . They always need fresh air but not drafts
Aviary perimeter if insulated almost 2 feet down to keep inside soil warmer. Solar heat gain and the composting floor will feel warm if you push your hand in it so I let it build deeper in winter. When cold the birds nestle down in it. Even when we had -20* the aviary floor did not freeze.

I can't stand stink of quail, because of whether I usually have a brooder bin inside. I use a really big Home Depot HDX bin with a hardware cloth and wood frame that sets over the top to keep them from getting out. This year I used heat plates and no heat lamps in order to reduce the risk of fire. They all did well.

What really helps in keeping them clean is while they are tiny chicks I use puppy pads, and when they get to the point where those need to be changed every couple days, I move them to pelleted pine bedding like for horse stalls. The pelleted pine bedding is miraculous! The controls the smell and is extremely absorbent. I can just add another layer as necessary until they are ready to go outside. If I have a big hatch I will have to split them up into two bins, and then I will put them all in a clean one, clean the first one and replace the bedding, and then split them up. My only issue is if they dump too much of their water from their waterers.

My only issue is if they dump too much of their water from their waterers.
All of the chicks I keep in the house (chickens and quail) learn to use a water bottle, which has gone a l-o-n-g way to keeping the litter dry, as well as keeping the water from being filled with nastiness from the chicks' scratching. I start using the bottle after the first few days/week (chicks/quail), when the chicks are big enough to peck hard enough to move the ball, and to not drown in the cup below the bottle. (I hang a little cup below the tube to catch drips, which also makes water available to the chicks who aren't quite with the program at first.) They peck at everything anyway, so a glistening drop hanging from the tube always gets their attention. Once one or two of them figure it out, they all get it quickly. I usually can pull the regular waterer out within a day or two.

Back