Journey into quail

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Sagebrush

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hello all. I am not sure if many of you know or even remember, that back in 2018 I developed a major allergy to poultry. Feathers, eggs, and i have even had reactions to their poop. The other day I found a quail breeder that wasn't to far away from me (4.5 hours round trip) who agreed to help me with the experiment in order to find out if I would have a reaction to quail. We met at an ER that knows me in case we had a major reaction to the little feather floofs. I actually got to hold one and didn't have a reaction to them!!!!!!!!!!!! We ended up trading some of my rabbits for some of her quail. We waited almost an hour to find out if I was going to have a reaction or not. I normally have my reactions within 2 minutes or less. 2 minutes for milder reactions. I am ecstatic about being able to start working with them and have another meat source as well. I am going to be going back to the same ER when we go to see if I can handle eating the eggs, letting them know ahead of time once more. I live 45 minutes driving time away from the nearest ER. So very excited for this new journey. Here is a picture of the little feather floofs from when we where bringing them home. They are 3 weeks old.
IMG_0322.JPG

Hello all. I am not sure if many of you know or even remember, that back in 2018 I developed a major allergy to poultry. Feathers, eggs, and i have even had reactions to their poop. The other day I found a quail breeder that wasn't to far away from me (4.5 hours round trip) who agreed to help me with the experiment in order to find out if I would have a reaction to quail. We met at an ER that knows me in case we had a major reaction to the little feather floofs. I actually got to hold one and didn't have a reaction to them!!!!!!!!!!!! We ended up trading some of my rabbits for some of her quail. We waited almost an hour to find out if I was going to have a reaction or not. I normally have my reactions within 2 minutes or less. 2 minutes for milder reactions. I am ecstatic about being able to start working with them and have another meat source as well. I am going to be going back to the same ER when we go to see if I can handle eating the eggs, letting them know ahead of time once more. I live 45 minutes driving time away from the nearest ER. So very excited for this new journey. Here is a picture of the little feather floofs from when we where bringing them home. They are 3 weeks old.
That's really exciting! Congratulations on finding a solution. We love our quail for meat and eggs!

Allergies are such a weird thing. I imagine you've asked what the quail are being fed and can stick with that, as sometimes it's not the birds themselves but something in their environment or diet that triggers a problem. My middle daughter seemed to have an allergy to chicks/chickens, and it turned out that it wasn't only the birds and their eggs, it was also the wood shavings. Once they go out of the living room into the coop and run, her problems lessen dramatically.

We haven't noticed a similar problems with our quail as long as they're not bedded in shavings - once they're old enough they go out into in a tractor in the backyard. I don't think the daughter with allergies has tried quail eggs, though. (Chicken eggs provoke split lips and eczema, and the birds and shavings an asthma-like reaction, but fortunately not an anaphylactic response).

My youngest daughter has raised coturnix for the Junior Market Auction at the Fair for several of the last few years. They're Jumbo Browns and they reach about a pound-and-a-quarter each by 10 weeks of age! It's always amazing to me that people claim they wouldn't know what to do with quail meat. ??? 🤷‍♀️ Game hen, anyone??? :ROFLMAO:

Coturnix.JPG Market Quail poster.JPG

Yeah allergies are funky for sure. Unfortunately I am literally allergic ( I stop breathing) if the meat, feathers, or eggs touch me. We found out the hard way that a brand of rolls changed their recipe and added eggs to it by me having to take a really fast ride to the ER. If it was just the dander or the shavings I wouldn't worry about it and would work around it. I can say that I am beyond excited with these little feather floofs lol. I did pick up the same breed as your daughter has, and we picked up a bag of feed that the breeder was feeding as well. My SO keeps laughing and saying "I bet that when I get home tomorrow I am going to find you with a chair next to the outdoor brooder cage holding a baby." Well I can't say he would be wrong. :ROFLMAO:

Thanks for posting this. Glad it's working out. Really glad no ER visit. Quail is on my list of things to give a go. I don't know of anyone local currently but do keep an eye out. While we will eat some of the eggs and meat I would mostly be raising them for our pets as part of their diet. Cutting out day old frozen (purchased) chicks would be really great and most likely far cheaper in the long run. Keep us posted on this adventure!

Thanks for posting this. Glad it's working out. Really glad no ER visit. Quail is on my list of things to give a go. I don't know of anyone local currently but do keep an eye out. While we will eat some of the eggs and meat I would mostly be raising them for our pets as part of their diet. Cutting out day old frozen (purchased) chicks would be really great and most likely far cheaper in the long run. Keep us posted on this adventure!
We raise quail for dog food. We tried eating it but there's so little meat it doesn't seem worth it for us. We do eat a ton of the eggs. I grind the quail raw for the dogs and also grind raw whole eggs for them. I let them grow out to 8 weeks so I can get a bigger bird and also so I can replenish our breeding stock when needed.

So happy for you! My mom acquired severe allergies to many protein sources later in her life to include chicken and pork (she could eat beef and turkey). Full blown anaphylaxis if any chicken or pork involved. It kills me now to realize that she probably could have had rabbit and prepared all of her favorite chicken recipes using it and most likely Quail as well and don't think I don't think about that almost on the daily. I lost her prematurely to the covid hospital protocols three years ago next month. 😭

So happy for you! My mom acquired severe allergies to many protein sources later in her life to include chicken and pork (she could eat beef and turkey). Full blown anaphylaxis if any chicken or pork involved. It kills me now to realize that she probably could have had rabbit and prepared all of her favorite chicken recipes using it and most likely Quail as well and don't think I don't think about that almost on the daily. I lost her prematurely to the covid hospital protocols three years ago next month. 😭
I'm so very sorry to hear that.

Hello all. I am not sure if many of you know or even remember, that back in 2018 I developed a major allergy to poultry. Feathers, eggs, and i have even had reactions to their poop. The other day I found a quail breeder that wasn't to far away from me (4.5 hours round trip) who agreed to help me with the experiment in order to find out if I would have a reaction to quail. We met at an ER that knows me in case we had a major reaction to the little feather floofs. I actually got to hold one and didn't have a reaction to them!!!!!!!!!!!! We ended up trading some of my rabbits for some of her quail. We waited almost an hour to find out if I was going to have a reaction or not. I normally have my reactions within 2 minutes or less. 2 minutes for milder reactions. I am ecstatic about being able to start working with them and have another meat source as well. I am going to be going back to the same ER when we go to see if I can handle eating the eggs, letting them know ahead of time once more. I live 45 minutes driving time away from the nearest ER. So very excited for this new journey. Here is a picture of the little feather floofs from when we where bringing them home. They are 3 weeks old
Good luck! The breeder I bought my first chicks from said most who bought quail eggs from him did so because of an allergy to chicken eggs . I started because they have a natural anti inflammatory that is supposed to be helpful for asthma and arthritis. Quail do not carry salmonella so eggs are safe to use raw (mayo, aoli, eggnog...) I have used quail eggs for everything for several years now. Don't try cracking like a chicken egg. They have stong membranes and thin shells, you will have a mess. Take a knife karate chop sideways by big end, put knife in crack. Cut off top so you are holding a little cup of egg. Or order some egg scissors. Last Xmas, son gave me an antique silver Italian egg shears. Game changer and that thoughtful gift feels like an everyday hug from a son who lives hundreds of miles away.

Quail eggs gave me tummy ache, and i found the bones to fiddly. Other then that they are messy birds but cute to watch once into their adult feathers. My only batch was about a week old and rapidly went from 3 in one hand to needing almost 2 hands for one in the next 7 weeks. Happy to have had them, but not again.
I can keep rabbits here, poultry is not an option, inside not with the featherdust, outside is not safe and the shed has bunnies. Leaves no room for birds even if i could eat the eggs and i don't want them for meat due to needing incubators and such. Rabbits need way less things that depend on power to reproduce, i only have a daylight led lamp on a timer.

Thank you all. I will keep you all updated as this journey goes on. I happen to have reptiles and dogs that could eat them too. I do happen to like the taste and as long as you get the Jumbo varieties there should be plenty of meat. Though for a good hearty meal you will still need 2-3 per person (depending on how much they normally eat). I am really looking forward to being able to eat baked goods again.
I am so sorry @Bekah-n-Tennessee about your loss. It is never easy. I lost my grandpa and it will be 4 years next month.

Have a look on Craigslist. I got my original stock there and so far they have been the healthiest ones I've had. I've purchased eggs from the known quail egg places but my Craigslist birds are the ones still here and still going strong years later.

Have a look on Craigslist. I got my original stock there and so far they have been the healthiest ones I've had. I've purchased eggs from the known quail egg places but my Craigslist birds are the ones still here and still going strong years later.
Thanks! That's great to hear. I bought some American breese off CL a while back and it was an awful decision so I am leery now. So many crooks in our area. I will keep an eye out though. Need to get a pen set up too. Haven't seen any recently on CL but do keep an eye out.

I am raising quail...kind of mutts that are crossed coturnix and jumbo brown. I'd be happy to sell eggs or breeding pairs to anyone in my area.

We love them..i boil and or pickle the eggs. And when i need to thin we have a big meal. The meat is def a treat here and something different from bunny! And they are so easy to hatch.

And we do feel our seasonal allergies have improved since eating the eggs.

I also have my first brood of meat muscovies on the ground. Looking forward to them in a couple months!

I am raising quail...kind of mutts that are crossed coturnix and jumbo brown. I'd be happy to sell eggs or breeding pairs to anyone in my area.

We love them..i boil and or pickle the eggs. And when i need to thin we have a big meal. The meat is def a treat here and something different from bunny! And they are so easy to hatch.

And we do feel our seasonal allergies have improved since eating the eggs.

I also have my first brood of meat muscovies on the ground. Looking forward to them in a couple months!
I am jealous! I want to raise duck to eat but we can't.

OMG, I want to be your neighbor! I would buy all the duck eggs! I'm sorry to hear you're allergic, duck eggs are the best thing ever!
I loved them! It was not reciprocated 🤣

I have a couple of neighbors who enjoy them and my dog loves them. I hatched two who have become Splish and Splash, my dogs ducks! 1000009051.jpg

I went ahead and purchased some hatching eggs for some Jumbo White Wings. They should be here in 2-3 weeks. So far my little feather floofs (as I tend to call them) are doing well. They are in a huge 3' by 5.5' hutch that used to be for my Himalayan boy Tiny. I have them outside the kitchen window where they are the most protected from the elements here at the house. These are supposed to be Jumbo Browns. For those who raise them, are they supposed to have the white wing feathers like this? I'll try to get a clear picture of the wings on one of the bigger babies and post it.
IMG_0323.JPGIMG_0324.JPGIMG_0325.JPG

Latest posts

Back