Is there a market for.....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Would you buy a rabbit who's sole purpose is to test breed for hidden recessive genes?

• Yes

Votes: 9 60.0%
  • No

Votes: 2 13.3%
  • Maybe

Votes: 4 26.7%

• Total voters

Dood

Rabbit Talk Supporter
Reaction score
Hummmmm

I've been thinking (dangerous, I know :mrgreen: )

Do you think there would be a market for a rabbit that is double recessive in the 5 main colour genes to be use as a test breeder?

Genetically it would be - aa bb cc dd ee - which is a REW lilac tort

Opinions?

Market, maybe...interest yes. Its like every thing else, there may be interest but no real market. Plus considering the quality some would need for a test breeder to improve and not take a giant leap backwards in some places, going to be very hard. May make for a good project if have space and outlet for those that are less than desired. Then there's the ever issue of differences in opinion to boot any way if that's good or not. If I could use myself long term and knew others that could and wanted long term, plus the other factors worked out, I'd be inclined to breed for a strain of those rabbits but otherwise not.

I answered yes, but am directly answering the poll as a standalone question.

I'd buy a test breeder for reasons other than color such as early weight gain or meat to bone ratios. I'd also buy a test breeder for jumping strength and personality (for competition jumping).

I say yes even though I don't breed for fancy. I once spent a small fortune on a cockatiel that was visual to a particular thing but split to several things so that I could test breed some hens and see what they were split to. I didn't make any money at it, lol it was just for fun. But I still bough that male bird!

I frequently buy animals for test breeding, but I dunno if I'd trust a REW to be whatever color a breeder was telling me it was.

A lilac tort with one REW parent would be alright, and I could then at least visually see that the animal was indeed self, chocolate and dilute and non-extension.

Although, I think I'm going to end up with those eventually, I have all the genes already in my mutts, just hafta get rid of all he steel.

I've bought and sold animals for test breeding, and done some of my own. And there is a buck I keep, for the sole purpose of finding out what color my REWs really are.

Zaas":a2lkdpyo said:
Although, I think I'm going to end up with those eventually, I have all the genes already in my mutts.
:rotfl:
you were actually my inspiration :) that and a chocolate :shock: ( maybe sable ?) showing up in one of my nest boxes

Space is a premium right now so if I had space. Right I'm breeding some crosses to my netherland bucks partially for that purpose until I get some pure netherland does. I wouldn't get a rew though. I don't like it in my herd and I wouldn't trust the genotype I can't see. I would just be confirming the genes the rew carries more than testing my rabbits. I would get a himi for my sable based rabbits. A ssble himi also results in better color than a sable rew gene combo.

Dood":2k3986rj said:
Zaas":2k3986rj said:
Although, I think I'm going to end up with those eventually, I have all the genes already in my mutts.
:rotfl:
you were actually my inspiration :) that and a chocolate :shock: ( maybe sable ?) showing up in one of my nest boxes

Once I get rabbits that have all the genes I want I'll be doing a round of line breeding to get a consistent type and root out genetic abnormalities. The only idiosyncrasy is that mine are also being selected for long, dense standup coats.
The plan? Base stock to develop color variants that match up with many of the colors being produced by ranched foxes. I didn't realize until you posted this that they would be good for test breeding other stock as well.

Of course there isn't a market for that...yet. :wink:

But you know, markets can be created.

I would LOVE to have a test breeding rabbit! Like others, being a rew I would worry that I was possibly being lied to about what it really is, but, from a reliable source (such as yourself), I would buy one in a heartbeat.

Maybe instead of a REW lilac tort it could be a sable point lilac ( aa bb cchlcchl dd ee ) and have a disclaimer that it doesn't detect REW, or maybe a carrier of REW - but then it won't breed true and you'd get a mix of double shades, shadeds carrying REW and REW's

Something not too big but not too small, say around the 5 pound mark.

Back