I'm building 4ftx4ft hanging wire cages for my rabbits. Has anyone ever tried this? What would be the downsides?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I've kept my rabbits in 36x30 cages for a few years. I don't think they are happy with the size. I want more space while the babies are growing after leaving the nesting box, too. What are the possible downsides to this? How could I strengthen the cages if I need to. I'm using 1/2in x 1in welded wire floor and ceilings with 1/2in hardware cloth on the sides. And dividers with galvanized solid steel dividers 18in from the floor and 18in 1/2in hardware cloth the rest of the way up. The cages themselves are 3 continuous cages instead of 3 individual. So, the whole cage is 4ft x 12 ft with two dividers. Thanks for any help!
I think longer and narrower would work better.longer would allow them to hop a little, shallower will let you reach easier. Think I read the standard in Europe is at least 6 feet long. Maybe our friends there can verify.

I've kept my rabbits in 36x30 cages for a few years. I don't think they are happy with the size. I want more space while the babies are growing after leaving the nesting box, too. What are the possible downsides to this? How could I strengthen the cages if I need to. I'm using 1/2in x 1in welded wire floor and ceilings with 1/2in hardware cloth on the sides. And dividers with galvanized solid steel dividers 18in from the floor and 18in 1/2in hardware cloth the rest of the way up. The cages themselves are 3 continuous cages instead of 3 individual. So, the whole cage is 4ft x 12 ft with two dividers. Thanks for any help!
The cage can be as long as you want (as long as you have enough access doors) but I wouldn't ever have cages that were deeper than 30 inches. If you have a rabbit that doesn't want to be caught you'll be trying to crawl in a 4ft deep cage to get it. I have 30" deep X 48" wide grow out cages and they have two doors on them to make it easier to corral the little darlings.

Yeah, I am definitely going to use the same watering system as you. I have water bottles now. But I have to clean them with bleach twice a year, and during the summer I have to clean them with a sponge brush. Black water lines are the way to go. Do you have a link to where you obtained your equipment? I appreciate all of your help.
I got my black 5/16 tubing and 5/16 rabbit watering nipples on amazon. I got some crappy nipples first and went back and got some better ones no more problems. I had and old 5gal. water jug (cooler) on one side of barn and a 7 gal old square cooler for the other side of barn where the grow outs live. With 17 grow outs and 3 adult
breeders on that side they use about 2-3 gal of water a day, I cool gallon jugs in refrigerator and fill the coolers once a day. My other two breeder does drink about 1/2 gal. / day with no kits. with kits 2-21/2 gal while weaning kits before they go to Day Camp.
I can get the info on the ones I ordered and DM you if you wish.

Latest posts

Back