Ideas on getting a Doe to 'perform'...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brucesquatch

Reaction score
I've read from the Storey's Guide about holding her down...hmmm...she's not that friendly...

I've heard about string...? Not sure what the S.O.P (standard operating procedure) on that is...

Any other ideas...I went out on a bit of a limb (ego, reputation, etc.) to set up some buns for food and as yet, nothing...

I'm going to try again soon and would like to smooth out the path, as it were...

Hey brucesquatch. Please don't get upset, but if you're having lots of trouble first check and make sure you do in fact have a buck and a doe. You wouldn't be the first one of us to discover that one of our buns must have had a sex-change opperation when we weren't looking. Not trying to insult anyone or anything, but it's like the IT guys, the first thing they ask is if your computer is plugged in. There are lots of posts on how to get your doe in the mood and on how to physicaly help under the rabbit care section. Recently, someone suggested raspberry tea and there have been some good results with it on the forum. Other suggestions have been adding black oil sunflower seeds to feed or adding apple cider vinger (with mother) to their water. Could be that the doe is too fat. I'm assuming that the doe is the one not cooperating here. I've tried the 'forced' breeding before and it didn't work for me, maybe I was just too uncomfortable with it, I'm not sure. Best of luck to you, hopefully you find something that will work for your rabbits.

Rabbits simply do not always "breed like rabbits".

Once you have established that you have not been visited by the Sex Change Fairy and that your doe is indeed a doe, it is time to look at things from her point of view.

1. How old is she? If she is young, a first-timer, she may simply be scared or too immature to be interested. House her next to the buck for a few weeks and let them get acquainted through the wire. She will likely relax and start to show signs of interest.

2. If she is over a year old, how is her condition? Is she fat? Is she bouncy and happy or does she just lay around and eat and sleep? Fat rabbits, male or female, are usually not interested in breeding and often unsuccessful even if they finally do the deed.

3. What are you feeding her? If she is on mainly pellets the problem could be nutritional. Feeding Vitamin A rich foods like fresh parsley or dandelion greens and Vitamin E rich foods like BOSS can make a difference. The apple cider vinegar in the water often helps too. Pellets are "complete" when they leave the factory, but may lose nutrients in storage. And those essential ones, A and E, are the most vulnerable to damage.

Before you pop her in with the buck next time, flip her over and take a look at her vulva. The colour of her genitals will give you some indication of her probable receptivity. White to pale pink... not today. Deep pink to reddish... maybe. Dark red to purple... hot to trot.

I would personally not recommend forced breeding or holding the tail up with string. There should be no need for these things. Sometimes a doe that is uncooperative in the buck's cage will happily breed on neutral territory, especially in a larger exercise pen. They will run about for a time and this is normal... but after a bit, the doe will usually let herself be caught.

Hope this is helpful. If there is one thing I have learned in the past ten years of country life, it is that it is easier and more productive to work with nature than to try to bludgeon it into submission. It is frustrating when animals do not do what we want and expect them to, but there is usually a good reason for it, assuming that our expectations are reasonable.

I have also heard that if the doe is playing hard to get, if she waggles her tail back and forth, she is interested, but coy. I haven't ever tried to force mine to breed- but I have brought the does back to the buck day after day after day, and finally on day 4 or 5, they were in the mood. I have also brought them to neutral territory as Maggie mentioned- an exercise pen I have set up- and that worked. I think sometimes the doe may feel trapped with the buck when in a cage, and being able to race around for a bit settles their nerves.

One other thing bears mentioning- if you have more than one doe, try to breed them on the same day or at least the next day in case one doesn't quite grasp the mothering concept so you will have the option to foster kits if necessary.

Good luck! Once you get things going, you should be on a roll. Don't let the naysayers get you down, either. If people aren't supportive, turn your back on 'em like a miffed bunny, and post on RT! We are always happy to help!

Theres also the possibility she doesnt like your buck.I had one doe that just would not breed too a certain buck.i knew she was ready and put her in with another buck she bred.rabits are harder too breed than many think especiallly the smaller breeds.

curlysue":2f53et5c said:
Theres also the possibility she doesnt like your buck.I had one doe that just would not breed too a certain buck.i knew she was ready and put her in with another buck she bred.rabits are harder too breed than many think especiallly the smaller breeds.

Which is problematic when you only have one herd buck.

Back