How do you kill them?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fishdip

Reaction score
I use to bow hunt rabbits all the time but how do you kill your rabbits you keep in a cage?

I have never butchered a rabbit, mine are really just pets, but I did do research for future plans. There are several ways that I have found, especially here from experienced people. There is the "wringer" that is used. Or some use a pellet gun. You should look at some of the very informational threads of others. Will help you figure out which way would be the best for you.

Karen

When I butchered rabbits with OAF, we used her rabbit wringer. That seems to me the quickest, most fool-proof way to do it.

I use the bop method, which I don't recommend for the faint of heart or those with no aim. I am usually and accurately, swing a 5lb rabbit and it it on the back of the neck, normally not more than two blows. I am not worried about bruising. I also have a bootleg rabbit wringer made from a crutch.

trinityoaks":yvcvtsid said:
When I butchered rabbits with OAF, we used her rabbit wringer. That seems to me the quickest, most fool-proof way to do it.
I had forgotten about that! Adding it to my hunting/processing Pinterest board!

We used to shoot them with a pellet gun, but now we hold them upside down by their back legs and whack them on the back of the head. The post-mortem kicking and flailing seems to be much reduced using that method.

See I cant see my self killing a rabbit by yanking its head in the bar like that. I use to when I was yonger but not any more. Kinda like killing something it takes the kill fact outa shooting it for me.

Well when I kill something I no loner like using my hands now I only shoot what ever I kill

fishdip":3r2mjlla said:
Well when I kill something I no loner like using my hands now I only shoot what ever I kill

Then a pellet gun would be your choice to dispatch your meat rabbits.

Karen

Using a pellet gun is probably the nest method for you, Fishdip, as ZRabbits suggests. I don't think there is one "best" method. It's more a case of finding out which method is best for the individual. As long as it is quick and sure, it is humane.

I seem to remember someone (was it you, Maggie?) saying they bop without picking up the rabbit. Are there any videos for that method? How do you do it without worrying about it moving?

-HRanchito":h6mqa62s said:
I seem to remember someone (was it you, Maggie?) saying they bop without picking up the rabbit.

I've only used that method a few times, on young rabbits that were ill. I put the rabbit on a firm flat surface, restraining it with my left hand and giving a sharp blow to the head with a hammer. My hand-eye coordination is not the best, but at that range I can be accurate. Put newspaper under the rabbit.... There was substantial bleeding.

The company that makes the Wringer also makes a bolt gun they call the Zinger. They have a video up on YouTube

I'd love a zinger but I can't justify the cost when a pellet rifle does just as good of job.

Latest posts

Back