How big would a mini-rex / dwarf cross get ?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
not very big. Maybe 2lb depending who the father was. rabbit sized seem to depend on the buck. So, if the ND was the sire then they would be closer to his size; if the MR was the sire they will get bigger than mom but smaller than dad.

Probably 3lbs. Dwarf go to 2 1/2 lbs and if they don't have the right gene they will reach 3lbs. Mini rex ideal weight is 4lbs and most lines don't have the dwarf genes or even the really small modifier genes. So you'll likely be somewhere a little over the ND maximum.

Celice":kv8we8dp said:
... rabbit size seem to depend on the buck...

Really?? .... that means my 14# doe is going to have a zillion 2# kits .... they're meat rabbits! Well, snack rabbits it will be then :lol:

Learn something new everyday here :)

Well it will be a bit more in the middle for big size differences, but it will lean towards the smaller side of the buck (sometimes).

but of course that can't be 100% because in rabbit breeds does outweight bucks by a a lb or two, if bucks weight always brought down the weight of litters, the does in the litters would never reach their breed standards.

Actually I find the doe controls size the most. It helps prevent female animals from producing too big of babies for birthing. This is all pointless when talking about dwarf crosses though. The dwarf rabbit is not a simple yes there is a dwarf gene no there isn't a dwarf gene like some people think. There is a great variation and sometimes tiny dwarf rabbits who don't produce peanuts with any doe of any size and even when they have produced peanuts with others. I believe this is all the action of modifier genes for small size bred into the dwarf rabbits. When you cross out you lose most of the modifier genes immediately. The size swings in favor of the larger breed than it normally would when crossing 2 different sizes because you have more gene pairs that no longer match for small size than you would be dealing with in breeds that are not bred for extreme size.

HOWsMom":1qstnkgv said:
The owner of the crossed kits says 2-3 lbs :D

Micro bunnies! :p :p :p

:gossip: Psst! Hey, Bug! I think that means you should be able to get three or four at least!!!

FYI people in Ontario call ANY rabbit with lop ears a Holland even if said rabbit is 6 pounds :shock: and I've rescued/rehabilitated/rehomed MANY monstrous "Netherland Dwarfs" in my 40+ years

They also call any rabbit with long fur an Angora, even if said rabbit is 3 pounds or only has long fur around its head :mrgreen:

I recommend you see the parents and even then you may be in for a BIG surprise (pun intended) in a few months :cheesysmile:

MamaSheepdog":2hqg8me0 said:
HOWsMom":2hqg8me0 said:
The owner of the crossed kits says 2-3 lbs :D

Micro bunnies! :p :p :p

:gossip: Psst! Hey, Bug! I think that means you should be able to get three or four at least!!!

I've had some 1lb netherland dwarf bucks. Actually borderline too small to show even in junior classes. Kuwa is probably in that range given he's half the size of his sister and aside from the addition of longer legs to lift him higher looks no bigger than the guinea pigs in colony with him.

akane":33q42wvc said:
The dwarf rabbit is not a simple yes there is a dwarf gene no there isn't a dwarf gene like some people think. There is a great variation and sometimes tiny dwarf rabbits who don't produce peanuts with any doe of any size and even when they have produced peanuts with others. I believe this is all the action of modifier genes for small size bred into the dwarf rabbits.

I have very small JW. 2lb or less. They have litters of 5-6 and in three years I never got a peanut, until May. I brought in a buck from a friend, no smaller than anyone else, and all of the litters had a peanut. I bred one of the does back to one of my other small bucks, litter of 5 and no peanuts. Previously I thought I had just a bunch of false dwarfs, but obviously every one of my does carries the dwarf gene. The bucks are either cousins, or half brothers. In my case it was more about modifiers and less about the dwarfing gene.

I'm opting to pass on this one, I just don't have a good feeling about it's background :(
I'm a bit disappointed, as I'm in love with it's markings - it's a broken black, with a butterfly mark on it's nose.

But the breeder that I was talking to about it - turns out it isn't her rabbit per se, but one that is "rescued" from a 'colony breeder' who is removing all the bucks from that colony.

I have no idea about the conditions, or health of the rabbits there - but it's a naggling little gut feeling that this isn't the rabbit for me.

Have you looked at Bad Habits Lionheads?

I know she takes good care of her herd and handles them from day one. Her main focus has always been to breed for health and temperament, while producing adorable bunnies.

Latest posts

Back