HAHAHAHA!!! My Pipes are BUSTED!!!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shara

Reaction score
OMG! How funny!

Seriously, I am beginning to feel a little like Job. WOW. No water for two days, and now busted pipes. Does it end?

I guess, in job, he was given extra of everything taken (small consolation, though, getting extra kids because his died).

Oh, gee... that really sucks!

We had that happen here the first winter... didn't know the pipes would freeze like that on really cold nights. Were yours frozen, that you didn't have water for two days? I wish I had known... I'd have suggested thawing them with the hair dryer. Takes a bit of patience, but it works and if you are prompt about it, no burst pipes. On bitter nights we have to run the water every few hours to keep the bathtub pipes from freezing. Fortunately, none of us tend to sleep the whole night so not a big problem.

Yeah, they froze. My wood stove is dinky and sucks, so I have to wake up every couple of hours to check on it, if I want it warm in here. I didn't wake up, and they didn't work. No haidryer, either....left it in Salem! hahaha. Good tip to know, though! Thanks. At this point, I don't think it will ever stop, but oh well.

Another way to prevent pipes from freezing is to leave them dripping overnight. I don't suppose in your climate this is going to be an ongoing problem, but there is a kind of "heat tape" that helps too. It is low-wattage tape that attaches to the pipe but beyond that I can't tell you much about it.

Hang in there, Shara. This too shall pass.

lol, maybe if I was on the west side with the "loonies", I never would have had this issue, but here on the high desert, we bake in the summer and freeze our poor little buns (lol, pun intended) off in the winter. I SHOULD have known....hubby knew. Drove me mad, hearing that water running all the time...but then, we always had water. The night DHS got called, it got to neg 15. the water worked fine...until the pipes froze. :(

I will definatly be keeping the water dripping from now on!

Supposdedly, there is heat tape on these pipes, but I am not sure. I guess I will find out tommorrow.

In an emergency you can use an electric blanket, and let the water run at a low flow (think leaky toilet) or just enough to have a study stream, if you know where the furthermost part of your water system is, use that tap.<br /><br />__________ Sun Feb 27, 2011 7:40 pm __________<br /><br />Oh, and the no water part....
that was a clue I would think

How are you fixing it? are you doing it yourself or do you have help?

I remember back when I was a single mom hearing about a program called self-help housing that would help families build or fix their homes...They would do anything structurally important, like pipes, wiring, roofs, does anybody else remember hearing about that program?

I can't remember specifics, but now it says something about being over 62 for repairs, and I know my friend was in her 30's... here are a few web sites, but if you google it you'll find much more. I knew one woman who got a whole house I don't know why I didn't pursue it at the time, I would have qualified...

http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/rhs/sfh/brie ... lpsite.htm
http://www.rcac.org/doc.aspx?95
http://www.rurdev.usda.gov/or/sfh.htm

Some churches have a men's group that will help with repairs for widows and wives whose husbands are away (like deployed or something).

Wow, Shara... just keep laughing, though. That's just nuts!

Ask around at some of the local churches, there is a program locally, Hammers for Him, that help with minor repairs.
Also, did you shut off the water and drain your pipes???
cause if one part freezes, and is still full of water....

Waters shut off...pipes aren't draining anymore....I assume that means they are drained out. Our pipes have froze before, but I don't have great luck getting it warm enough to unfreeze. Stays around 60 inside, with me tending he fire. I miss the 80* temps in here. :(

So yeah,I knew they had froze...but not that they had burst, until they thawed today. Good reason to store water, BTW.

Um, with a hose and some know how, you can backflow your water heater...

We leave the faucet dripping (the one farthest from the water pump). It not only keeps the water from sitting still in the pipes it keeps the pump itself from getting frozen. The tape is basically a flexible heating wire that you wrap around the pipe and plug into an electrical outlet. It generates heat to keep the pipe warm. I've seen them in major hardware stores but they're expensive and don't cover a lot of pipe. I think they'd help if you have a particular spot that keeps freezing.

DFon't have a water heater. :) Ran out of propane before gramma died, and didn't want to ask for more. No hoses either, although THAT I am sure I could borrow...

You don't have a water heater, or you don't have a WORKING water heater? What Jack is saying is that the water heater doesn't drain, there is a little tap on the bottom, and if you have one, you have 40 gallons of clean drinkable water sitting there.

No, actually I was talking of reversing the flow of the water heater, so that you drain HOT water through your pipes, and don't forget about the clean water in there, if your out of plumbing.

Oh...gotcha! Yeah, it doesn't heat water, but I do have one. :) I knew there was water in it, but when I realized the pipes were busted, I filled a bunch of containers with water...So I would have some. Now I need to look into getting some actual containers...

ok, Jack, thats what I thought you meant....Well, thanks!

Latest posts

Back