From a Facebook Post

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ladysown

Staff member
Reaction score
Did you know that the amount of Ivermectin in a "pea-sized amount" of standard apple-flavored Ivermectin horse wormer paste is approximately enough to treat a 50 to 100 lb. animal at the dosages recommended for rabbits?

The recommended dosage for rabbits is generally 0.2 to 0.4 mg (200 to 400 mcg) of Ivermectin per Kilogram of body weight. Buy the injectible form and a syringe with 1/10 cc markings, and you won't be overdosing your rabbits by many times the recommended dose. Ivermectin for rabbits is most reliable and most well-researched when given as a subcutaneous injection (and not hard to do), but even giving the correct measured amount orally would be safer than the "pea sized amount of horse wormer paste" method so often recommended.

Also, Ivermectin has been shown by research to be effective for treating external parasites (fur mites, and at the higher dosage ear mites) in rabbits when given correctly, but it is not effective for treating most internal parasites typical to rabbits. Ivermectin has specifically been shown *not* to be effective for treating rabbit pinworms (Tsui and Patton, 1991), and is competely worthless for treating coccidia, for instance.

Please, do yourself and your animals a favor and use the proper medication type, formulation, dosage, method and duration/repetition specific to whatever issue and type of animal you are treating.

http://wildpro.twycrosszoo.org/S/00Chem ... mectin.htm

Always read Ivermectin is a hard to over dose drug and never heard of it to be used on cocci.

Always read Ivermectin is a hard to over dose drug and never heard of it to be used on cocci.

The first thing said on many rabbit or homesteading type boards if rabbits are a bit thin is OH... throw some wormer into them (horse wormer generally) to tackle the worms and the coccidia.

Ivermectin is NOT the drug of choice for such things.

The person who wrote this facebook post (not me by the by) is most likely reacting to that particular factoid.

Also some rabbits are sensitive to Ivermectin....and this overdosing makes me wonder if it's not an ivermectin issue, or if it's more of an overdosing issue.

lissaprell, it's 2/10ths of a CC, in other words 2 lines on a 1cc syringe. I'll make a pic with a 3 cc syringe too if you like, it looks a little different.

Attachments

• .2 cc 1 cc syringe op.jpg
    .2 cc 1 cc syringe op.jpg
    203.6 KB · Views: 1,009
  • .2 cc op1.jpg
    .2 cc op1.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 1,009
Even for dogs, is takes so very little of it to treat the worms. A little goes a long way with Ivermectin, and I always use as little as possible no matter what animal.

The dosage is calculated by milligrams of medicine per kilogram of the rabbit's weight, so you need to convert the weight to calculate the correct dosage.

At 0.4 milligrams per kilogram, with the 1% injectible Ivermectin, it's 0.18 cc per 10 lbs. of rabbit, or approximately 1/10 cc per 5 lbs. of rabbit. Don't forget that the dosage needs to be repeated every 10 to 14 days for a total of 2 to 3 doses to treat mites in rabbits. If you treat only once you're killing only the living mites but not the eggs.

__________ Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:36 pm __________

2/10ths of a cc of the 1% Ivermectin is 2 mg, not 0.2 mg. That's a 10-fold difference.

The term "cc" stands for Cubic Centimetre and is the exact same unit as a milli-litre - "ml" for short. I think doctors use it to confuse people and prevent them from self medicating :)

I've use Fenbendazole ( genetic name "Safe Guard" or "Panacur") as it is very effective against the small roundworms that infect rabbits and E. cuniculi. It comes as an easy to accurately measure liquid and in a small 50ml bottle for goats.

shinysatins":240866pg said:
The dosage is calculated by milligrams of medicine per kilogram of the rabbit's weight, so you need to convert the weight to calculate the correct dosage.

At 0.4 milligrams per kilogram, with the 1% injectible Ivermectin, it's 0.18 cc per 10 lbs. of rabbit, or approximately 1/10 cc per 5 lbs. of rabbit. Don't forget that the dosage needs to be repeated every 10 to 14 days for a total of 2 to 3 doses to treat mites in rabbits. If you treat only once you're killing only the living mites but not the eggs.

__________ Fri Nov 29, 2013 11:36 pm __________

2/10ths of a cc of the 1% Ivermectin is 2 mg, not 0.2 mg. That's a 10-fold difference.
Dood":240866pg said:
The term "cc" stands for Cubic Centimetre and is the exact same unit as a milli-litre - "ml" for short. I think doctors use it to confuse people and prevent them from self medicating :)

I've use Fenbendazole ( genetic name "Safe Guard" or "Panacur") as it is very effective against the small roundworms that infect rabbits and E. cuniculi. It comes as an easy to accurately measure liquid and in a small 50ml bottle for goats.
Yes, it is easy to get the units confused!

As Dood said, cc (cubic centimeter) and ml (milliliter) are exactly the same.

And as Shinysatins pointed out, ml (milliliter) and mg (milligram) are not the same at all.

The strength of a medication is often labeled as being a certain number of milligrams per milliliter (mg/ml). The dosage will be a certain number of milligrams per kilogram (mg/kg) of weight. The proper dosage for the type of animal must be found, and then (for Americans) the animal's weight must be converted from pounds to kilograms.

Multiply the animal's weight in kilograms by the mg/kg dosage for the type of animal, and you will have the number of milligrams the animal should receive in a dose of that medication.

Looking back at the strength of the medication in mg/ml, you divide the number of milligrams the animal needs by the number of mg/ml listed on the medication. This will tell you how many milliliters of the medication you need to draw for one dose for that animal. If your syringe is measured in cc instead of ml, it doesn't matter. They are the same thing.

I apologize for being redundant... I just felt some of this might be getting confusing, and wanted to clarify for members who are new to dosing. :)

Yes, ML and CCs are the same thing. My point is that if you give the dosage pictured above of 1% solution thinking it's 0.2mg, that's an overdose of 10 times the amount of medication the rabbit needs.

Back