Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just curious. Do any of you try to "reuse" the left over seed? It seems that I havef a bit of left over seed each time, probably around 4 tbsp which can start to add up. Didn't know if it was still good to try to germinate.

Yeah, most of it didn't sprout, some of it acted like it was going to, like a day 1 seed with the root just starting to stick out but most didn't really do anything.

mystang89":2xewmb7t said:
Yeah, most of it didn't sprout, some of it acted like it was going to, like a day 1 seed with the root just starting to stick out but most didn't really do anything.

How are you watering it? Minimum seems to be 3-4x's day and some on an auto system do more often. I am just experimenting with it now on the kitchen counter, but hope to do more

I've been doing small scale sprouting using colanders over a bowl to catch the drips. I soak the wheat for about 6-8 hours and rinse it 2-3 times a day. The wheat sprouts well and because our kitchen is cool (never over 15 C. / 60 F. during the heating season) I have had no problems with mould. I start feeding the sprouts when they get green shoots about an inch long and start a new batch at that time. I defintely want a proper system by next winter, but the growing season is just around the corner and it hardly seems worth the effort just now.

I am soaking barley for about 12 hours and watering 2-3 times a day.

I've got a question for you experienced fodder feeders: do you all feed 5% of their body weight? More? Less?

I soak for 6 to 12 hours and water 2 - 3 times a day. I still seem to get the same results in a 8 day span.

As for feed vs body weight I use the 5% of body weight rule. 10 lbs rabbit gets around 8 oz. Normally 7ish.

I've been watering 4x a day and the wheat sprouts are almost ready! Started them last Sunday. Have a 2nd pan in the process and larger pans on order. Will set up a "room" in the barn to do this on larger scale.

First batch was soaked 24+ hours and looks great. 2nd batch I only soaked for 12..will see.

Mine is in the kitchen over the sink lol. Kinda a pain. Temp in there is rarely above 70 as the pellet stove is in the other room. So I'd guess between 65-70

If it is too warm, you increase the chances of mould. My kitchen in winter is never above 15 C. (60 F.) and during the night it is significantly cooler. The wheat is doing fine. It only needs more than normal room light to green it up in the last day or so.

I wonder if it's a light problem then - temp is hovering around 15C. But they are in a north-facing porch.

Edit - I have some fairy lights going spare...!

So I haven't read everything but one thing is still not getting through my head. The soaking/draining process twice a day, how does that work? Do you soak and let it sit for awhile then put it in a colander until the roots intertwine? I hear about holes, do you put holes in and add until you get the proper drain rate?

I just put drain holes in the tray on one side and then put the trays at an angle so that the water drains out. It doesn't need to SIT in water everyday... just long enough for the roots to soak up some water.

All my trays have drain holes all through the bottom. I'll turn the water on and leave it running for about 3 minutes or so then turn it off. Do it about 2 times a day, maybe more if I'm bored.

I've started my own system with plain old buckets with holes drilled in the bottom of them, however it's day 5 and I can JUST see the starts of roots on the wheat and oat seeds. Not sure what's going on, maybe it's the seeds so tonight I'm going to soak some other wheat and oats that I got and see how they go.

Toady":y57dbozz said:
I've started my own system with plain old buckets with holes drilled in the bottom of them, however it's day 5 and I can JUST see the starts of roots on the wheat and oat seeds. Not sure what's going on, maybe it's the seeds so tonight I'm going to soak some other wheat and oats that I got and see how they go.

The age of the seeds and/or temperature can inhibit growth or slow it down.

Back