Fodder sprouting systems, anyone?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Frecs":grkizc48 said:
No idea what they mean by 'recleaned'...the key to look for is are the barley seeds whole and not "pearled".

I don't either and the guy at the local mom & pop feed store is not the regular guy so he didn't know either. He told me over the phone that the bag just said "recleaned".

Would Plastic canvas be ok to grow it in? Or would too much of the roots end up torn out?
4-inch-square-of-7-count-plastic-canvas-by-impex-creative-crafts-4835-p.jpg

CnB, I used plastic canvas to make trays for fodder growing.

Positives:
1. good drainage
2. good air circulation

Negatives:
1. a bit flimsy
2. the roots, if you go for a root mat and grass, will grow through the canvas and will require cutting away from the tray to remove the grass and mat from the tray

I am only sprouting for 4 to 5 days rather than trying for grass so the trays are functional for me. I do wish they had more structural firmness but....

Want to know qty to feed sprouted wheat for each rabbit?
Thanks!

Amy":bb68jnup said:
Want to know qty to feed sprouted wheat for each rabbit?
Thanks!

Depends on size of rabbit and what else is being fed.

I have Silver Foxes (a meat breed).

The does (with weaning kits) are getting: free feed pellets, 1 1/4 cup sprouted mix (wheat, oats, BOSS, flax, mung bean), other goodies (rose bush branches, cauliflower, etc.) and free feed hay.

The bucks are getting: 1 cup pellets, 1/2 cup sprouted mix, other goodies that the does are getting (they see...they take notes...tempers can flare!), hay. (They don't eat all their pellets, BTW.)

The doe that does not have kits (a French Angora) gets the same as the bucks except 1 cup of sprouted mix because she is being conditioned (she is new and was out of condition when I got her).

OneAcreFarm":vqartaf3 said:
You feed 3-5% of the animal's body weight of fodder each day, so a 10lb rabbit would be fed 5-8oz of fodder a day. The 6 tray system makes 15lbs of fodder each day, or 240oz.

Frecs":25bmpqo5 said:
2. the roots, if you go for a root mat and grass, will grow through the canvas and will require cutting away from the tray to remove the grass and mat from the tray

Have you tried lining the mat with a paper towel?

I have SF and Am. Chin.'s. I feed them a grain mix w/ alfalfa pellets and BOSS, free feed hay/alfalfa. I've been giving them a small bowl of the sprouts as a supplement, but curious if I were to just give them the sprouts (along with hay of course and veggies/weeds, etc) how much they would need/day. Can I use the 3-5% of body wt.? Maybe closer to 3%, since it's higher in protein and less water, more digestible, etc.

MamaSheepdog":23utygb1 said:
Frecs":23utygb1 said:

Have you tried lining the mat with a paper towel?

No, I haven't. Growing grass is off the menu currently.... I tried, it just didn't work well. Sprouting works better for me and I don't have to worry about the roots as much since at each rinse, I stir the sprouts around.

I found this thread searching for something else, thought you guys might be interested in seeing my DIY fodder system that I use for my rabbits. I'm about to upgrade to something larger but this has worked really well, and cost me pretty much nothing. I used winter wheat seed from the feed and seed store 50#@$12. If you're having a hard time sourcing seed wheat, look for a grain elevator in your area, can usually hook you up. Soaked seed 24 hours, with a rinse and water change halfway through. Trays are in the house by the north window so the temp averages 65F back there. Wheat doesn't like it over 70 so cooler is better. Kept it covered the first 3 days, then uncovered next 3-4 days. Did not bleach or ACV the seed, never had any problems with mold. The key is to never let it dry out, but don't let it sit in water. I water in the sink, luke warm water. Pain in the rear, will be putting a pump/sprayer on a timer for the next system. Anyway, if you just wanna give it a try and see how the buns do on fodder, this is an easy, cheap way to go about it. :)

__________ Wed Feb 13, 2013 10:35 pm __________

And here's some closeups of the fodder as it grows....

Attachments

• diy fodder system.jpg
    diy fodder system.jpg
    109.1 KB · Views: 2,169
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    169.7 KB · Views: 2,169
  • 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 2,169
  • lola.jpg
    lola.jpg
    93.7 KB · Views: 2,169
prairie dog":355jwbia said:
I found this thread searching for something else, thought you guys might be interested in seeing my DIY fodder system that I use for my rabbits. I'm about to upgrade to something larger but this has worked really well, and cost me pretty much nothing. I used winter wheat seed from the feed and seed store 50#@$12. If you're having a hard time sourcing seed wheat, look for a grain elevator in your area, can usually hook you up. Soaked seed 24 hours, with a rinse and water change halfway through. Trays are in the house by the north window so the temp averages 65F back there. Wheat doesn't like it over 70 so cooler is better. Kept it covered the first 3 days, then uncovered next 3-4 days. Did not bleach or ACV the seed, never had any problems with mold. The key is to never let it dry out, but don't let it sit in water. I water in the sink, luke warm water. Pain in the rear, will be putting a pump/sprayer on a timer for the next system. Anyway, if you just wanna give it a try and see how the buns do on fodder, this is an easy, cheap way to go about it. :)

Ugh! THANK YOU for the great pictures! I just finished up with day one of (hopefully) sprouting recleaned barley. Mine looks about like yours... Maybe half way to day two so that makes me happy.

Do you feed just fodder (and hay) or do you do a pelleted ration as well? I am curious to hear from more of you who are doing JUST fodder --no pellets. Do you do the 3-5% of their body weight or do you use a different system?

SarahMelisse"Do you feed just fodder (and hay) or do you do a pelleted ration as well? I am curious to hear from more of you who are doing JUST fodder --no pellets. Do you do the 3-5% of their body weight or do you use a different system?[/quote said:
I do fodder and hay, nothing else. THere are some people who put grains in as well. I don't have the money to that as of now though. I don't ration with pellets. I have 3 trays going and soon, hopefully, to be 4 as they go through fodder quicker than I can get it to grow. A tray last about 2 days for me. I use the 3-5% weight system edging more towards the 5% as there are times I can start feeling their spines get a bit too spiky for my tastes.

prairie dog":506hrgbx said:

PD, welcome to Rabbit Talk! So glad to have another Texas here! :cowboy: I am near Beaumont, you? Thanks so much for the info about your fodder trials. We are wanting to start this up soon as well.

SarahMelisse":3bzlf65m said:
Is the chunk in the picture each rabbit's daily ration? It's hard for me to imagine what this stuff will weigh in a few more days...

The chunk was what I started them on while they were still on pellets and hay, so they eat more now. One full greenhouse flat will weigh in around 7.5 to 8 pounds, and the little gallon jugs are a bit over a pound each when done so imagine half a gallon jug plug per bun. I'm aiming to put them entirely on fodder and grass hay but right now am still providing them with some pellets. I gotta say though, they've cut back on the pellets a lot on their own since I started giving them the fodder.

Getting rabbit pellets here is a real PAIN. One feed store won't carry it, the other does but it's horrible and dusty. That leaves Squallmart's feed. Um, nah.

@OneAcreFarm, I'm up by Amarillo, halfway between Nowhere and Oblivion. :)

Attachments

• cut to serve.jpg
    cut to serve.jpg
    121.5 KB · Views: 2,159
prairie dog":fh69op2f said:
@OneAcreFarm, I'm up by Amarillo, halfway between Nowhere and Oblivion. :)

Ah, so you are not too far from CoffeeNutDesigns! She is near Abilene...

probably a difference in the amount of protein but I couldn't tell you for sure because no one in a 3 hour radius of this city carries barley.

As far as oats I heard they are a struggle to grow.

I feed my rabbits fodder all the time. Wheatgrass and an occasional treat of sprouts from Sprouthouse they have a great selection my family and I sprout to eat and also throw in some to sprout for the rabbits and chickens!

Latest posts

Back