Florida Jeff new guy on the block (blog).

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Barnyard: Did you get your TAMUKS? how are they , any Pictures?
Thanks for asking Jeff! Yeah, we are 2 and a half weeks in. We got two does and a buck. Crazy, but we already have a litter! The guy we got them from has a colony so he didn't realize the six month old doe was pregnant. But she only had two kits and one was still born or died shortly after. The one that made it looks big and healthy. I don't know if you can call one kit a litter, lol. We have begun picking grasses from our field to slowly wen them off pellets. We started with oat grass that we planted as a cover crop and now is sprouted all over the place. They love the pine plays playscapes we built for them! ... The journey begins... 🐇🐰

Attachments

• Resized_20230209_180959.jpeg
    Resized_20230209_180959.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20230127_130313.jpeg
    Resized_20230127_130313.jpeg
    731.6 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_Resized_20230209_223049(1).jpeg
    Resized_Resized_20230209_223049(1).jpeg
    759.9 KB · Views: 0
  • Resized_20230127_142054.jpeg
    Resized_20230127_142054.jpeg
    870.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 20230212_170159.jpg
    20230212_170159.jpg
    4.3 MB · Views: 0
Ahoy fellow rabbit growers out there. I hail from North Florida and have started Deer Point Rabbitry last march with young New Zealand Whites had to wait out summer to start breading as temps in Florida last year were brutal. Wanting to start a line of TAMUKS for more heat tolerance. Looking forward to talking to everyone.
THANKS for the welcome aboard.
We raise Tamuks and love them. They grow and mature very fast usually males by 4-4.5 months and does a month later. Great temperments, large litters, good moms and heat tolerant.

Ahoy Love my Barnyard: I was wondering if the selective breeding of the TAMUKs for heat tolerance makes them less cold tolerant. Have you found out that to be true?
Thanks again.
We are in Oregon and our grown Tamuks do fine in freezing weather. Don't know about below zero but with hay in their cages on cold nights just like our Rex, they do fine.

We are in Oregon and our grown Tamuks do fine in freezing weather. Don't know about below zero but with hay in their cages on cold nights just like our Rex, they do fine.
That's good to hear since Texas gets freezes along with its 100+ days (sometimes in the same month 😅.) I had read that the TAMUKs along with their longer ears were bred with a bit less dense hair for the heat, so maybe they are just fat and chunky enough to handle the cold.

OK maybe because I'm from the north. What is a tamuks?
Our NZ black does make it through 30 below n colder in the winter. So we stop breeding for the winter and grow during the summer. We have been
averaging 8 kits..
We linebread the black NZ to our Californian buck. We wanted to keep going towards the blue colors. So now have a blue buck. 1 black, 2 new blue does.

OK maybe because I'm from the north. What is a tamuks?
Our NZ black does make it through 30 below n colder in the winter. So we stop breeding for the winter and grow during the summer. We have been
averaging 8 kits..
We linebread the black NZ to our Californian buck. We wanted to keep going towards the blue colors. So now have a blue buck. 1 black, 2 new blue does.
Tamuk rabbits aren't a breed, they are a 7 breed mixed mutt produced by Texas A&M and I believe another school. They were bred to grow fast and be heat tolerant (including not going heat sterile) so they are a good rabbit "breed" to have in the south where rabbits can have a hard time with the heat.

Latest posts

Back