Dirty noses

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
I noticed a few days ago that almost every one of Matilda's litter has a dirty nose. I'm assuming that they have moisture in the nostrils and dust got stuck on the moisture at the opening of the nostrils and dried there. I've cleaned them up and they seem to be fine otherwise. Has anyone run into this?

I find it surprising because they aren't on dirt and they aren't in a dusty nesting box.

ollitos":1b26xvn3 said:
every one of Matilda's litter has a dirty nose
How old are they? Are they just now starting to eat their mom's bunny berries?

They haven't left the nest yet. They are two weeks old but have had the dirty noses for about 5 days. I noticed it but wasn't able to clean them until the past couple days so I don't know if it's coming back or not.

the only thing I can think of is, mom's bunny berries - or the kids trying to eat their own, and not doing it very well.<br /><br />__________ Sun Sep 02, 2012 3:14 pm __________<br /><br />trying to eat, each others?

Pasteurella or the nest material decomposing/dust getting stuck to their wet noses.
Ever notice the dirt on your finger around your band-aid? It's usually black or dark brown, even if you don't wear black/brown.

ChickiesnBunnies":2u9359z3 said:
Pasteurella or the nest material decomposing/dust getting stuck to their wet noses.
Ever notice the dirt on your finger around your band-aid? It's usually black or dark brown, even if you don't wear black/brown.

Yikes! Don't say the "P" word! Lol!

OneAcreFarm":2u9359z3 said:
I see this when the hay in the nestbox is a bit dusty....nothing to worry about.

Thanks so much! Kind of what I figured, but was curious if anything came of it with her kits :) My hay is a bit dusty :/

faiththequeen":eso3m40n said:
ChickiesnBunnies":eso3m40n said:

Yikes! Don't say the "P" word! Lol!

OneAcreFarm":eso3m40n said:
I see this when the hay in the nestbox is a bit dusty....nothing to worry about.

Thanks so much! Kind of what I figured, but was curious if anything came of it with her kits :) My hay is a bit dusty :/

Lol, sorry. I'm paranoid about it. But unfortunately, it's technically possible... :(

Can anyone help me? A LOT OF DIRT GOT INTO MY BUNNY'S NOSE
Wet a tissue and gently rub it the direction of the fur. To get stuff out of inside the nostril, fold up the tissue and dab at the nostril with the folded corner. Keep your fingers far enough away that the tissue can bend, you don't want to cause any damage to the nostril.

They can also groom their own nose, they just don't when they don't feel anything there.

Back