Computer Shopping....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
you all with your windows 8 and windows 10 nonsense.....
Im still upset that I had to go to XP from win 98

DBA":3e1296xs said:
you all with your windows 8 and windows 10 nonsense.....
Im still upset that I had to go to XP from win 98
:lol: Yeah, I wasn't too keen on that switch, either, at first.

Actually, I didn't want to leave Win 3.11 for Win 98. :whistle:

I didn't even like 3.11 much at first, because I was used to working directly in DOS... and now Miss M has thoroughly dated herself. :p

Homer":3e1296xs said:
IMHO XP was the best thing that ever came out of Bill Gates. Just to slow by today's standards.
Yes, I think of all the Windows versions, XP was the best one. Like I said, I still have two machines running it. Not for long, though. Mom's computer's going dual-boot today, or perhaps Linux-only, depending on what she wants.

I like Windows 7, but would have stayed with XP. Everything I've read about 8, 8.1, and 10 gives me the heebie-jeebies. :shock:

Homer":3e1296xs said:
Miss M":3e1296xs said:
... we'll try not to get into another food fight. :p

Says who? :twisted:

latest
:tomato:

wamplercathy":31m3b2ly said:
What is bloatware??? It sounds bad. :shock: :? :? :oops:
Bloatware is all the extra useless software that almost always comes pre-installed on a new Windows computer. It isn't he same as malware, which includes programs that are actively attacking you. It's more of a white elephant sort of thing... eating all of your resources, while giving you little to nothing in return. Here's a quote that pretty much defines it:

Bloatware—also known as crapware—is more than annoying, because it actively consumes your computer’s resources. It’s worth your time to clean it off a new PC so you can use it to its full potential. Here’s how to do that with minimal headaches.

Bloatware 101: How manufacturers make PCs slower

But first, some background. Manufacturers install bloatware on new PCs because they’re paid to do so. PC profit margins are low, so preinstalling junk gives PC manufacturers a bit of extra money—and, to be fair, keeps your PC cheaper than it would otherwise be.

Beyond sucking up your computer’s storage, however, bloatware often loads at startup, increasing how long your PC takes to boot, wasting valuable RAM, and generally cluttering your system tray, desktop, installed applications, and context menus.

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2141881/ ... ur-pc.html

When a friend gives me a computer to fix, one of the things I do is go through all the programs that are installed and discuss with them which ones they actually use. I don't uninstall everything they don't use... some of those things are still needed, the person just doesn't know what they are. But so many of these programs load when the computer starts, which makes the whole computer run more slowly.

By the way, don't install the programs recommended in that article to remove bloatware from your computer. It's way safer to go to your add/remove programs list, and look up each program by name yourself.

When you're finished, run CCleaner from Piriform.com to finish removing the remaining pieces of programs that are left behind. Use the registry cleaner inside CCleaner to remove the registry keys related to them. Backup the registry first, always.. but I've never had a problem with it.

Examples of bloatware would be:
* Programs put there just to serve you ads, like Superfish (which ended up being a security hazard and almost a virus in and of itself). Also included would be "trials" of various programs, which can harass you to try them out and upgrade to the full version.
* Programs you will likely never use, like picture transfer programs (completely unneeded -- you can do this without any help from a special program).
* Programs that have been widely-used for years, but which have become huge, lumbering oxen with loads of obscure features that cause the program to run slowly. Examples of this would be:

Adobe Acrobat Reader, which used to be a lightweight, fast PDF reader. I have switched to Foxit Reader.
Nero Burning Rom, which, if you do the default installation, will deposit an army of programs on your computer that you don't need. You can burn CDs and DVDs and even ISOs directly from Windows.
Norton Symantec. I don't know if it's any better these days, but when I left it, it was not only bloated and a prime cause of a computer running like refrigerated molasses, it was also invasive and very difficult to remove.

Alrighty than. My laptop died a horrible violent death the other day. :x :cry: :evil: Took it to the IT people on campus and they were able to save some of my pictures and documents. Well I have been plotting on buying a new one but with a $1200 light bill (it was from this month and last month) :x And a $1800 truck repair :x My budget for a computer was shot out the window by a cannon.

Anyways my mother just so happened to find a laptop she bought last year but never used. :x :p Really who does that?!?!?!?!? :x Not complaining, mind you, but who does that. :p :p So I drove to Kansas City and picked it up yesterday.

It's a HP notebook (15-F272WM), has a15.6'' screen, 500gb hard drive, windows 10 :x Overall it looks like it will due for awhile. Thank the heavens for my sporadic and absentminded mother. :p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I'm so happy. Thank you all for the information and laughs.

WOW!!! That's a pretty hard deal to beat! :bouncy:

I'm glad they were able to rescue some of your files! :)

Funny story: Some years ago, a friend's computer crashed (I think I mentioned this before), and I couldn't save it because Microsoft had stopped including full Windows installation disks with computers. I was able to save nearly all of her numerous pictures and videos, and gave them to her on seven CDs. A week ago, she posted a picture of her cat walking across her keyboard, and commented that it was a good thing she had just saved her work. In the comments, I asked if it was okay to delete my backups of her files -- yes, I actually still had them!!! -- and figured that would give her and her friends a good chuckle at my expense, to think that I still had all those files after some 7 or 8 years.

To my surprise, she came back with something to the effect of: "Oh my goodness, please send them to me! My external hard drive crashed and I lost it all!!" :lol:

:lol: :lol: <br /><br /> __________ Thu Feb 11, 2016 2:49 pm __________ <br /><br /> Funny Story:
Fired up my new computer just now and it's opening statement was: "All you files are exactly were you left them."

Really?!?!? As if the computer is going to play a joke one day and my files are all going to be mixed up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait! It wouldn't do that right?!?!?!?!?!? :x :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

wamplercathy":111mddbh said:
Fired up my new computer just now and it's opening statement was: "All you files are exactly were you left them."
:rotfl:

Makes me think of a little girl whose mom walked in just as she shoved the lipstick back in the drawer. "Everything is just the way you left it, Mama, I was just making sure." Meanwhile, her face is covered in red streaks. :roll:

wamplercathy":111mddbh said:
Really?!?!? As if the computer is going to play a joke one day and my files are all going to be mixed up. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Wait! It wouldn't do that right?!?!?!?!?!? :x :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, I will tell you that whoever said that computers do only exactly what the user tells them to do was quite mistaken. :?

I actually HAVE brought up a computer, only to find that things have been scrambled. And I know it wasn't tampered with. :shock:

That would be rare, though. :lol:

Latest posts

Back