Computer Shopping....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamplercathy

Reaction score
Is a huge pain the the backside.

I need a new computer. So I have been looking around. I bought a MSI from Office Max back in Spring 2011 for $250 and it has been a great computer. I was thinking about getting another one, but the price has tripled for the same kind of computer. :eek:verreaction:

If you want a desktop I bought a HP Pavilion 550-044 last year I really like. I'm not big on Windows 10 so bought it with 8.1 and can't complain. ~$400 from HP's site.

Missouri Western State University upgraded to windows 10 and it has been a huge pain. Not everything is touchscreen. :evil: Don't get me wrong it's great for touchscreens but if you have a normal screen the system has major issues. I don't know why. :oops: I know enough about computers to get myself in trouble. :twisted:

A desk top would be the cheaper of the 3
A laptop is semi mobile, and at the mid-level cost
A tablet is very mobile but very costly

All of which can do what I need. Mainly business/work, music, Netflix, and pictures. :?

Thanks all.

wamplercathy":3rvsjjmh said:
Missouri Western State University upgraded to windows 10 and it has been a huge pain.
smileys-thanks-771216.gif
It's a major pain in...oops, this is a family forum. :oops:

Hey H.H. :tease:

Poor Win 10 *pats laptop* I still love you, it's okay.

Homer I should do to you what my grandma did to me. I stuck my tongue out at her ONCE, and she grabbed a hold of it, and stretched it out so far I could have passed for Gene Simmons kid! :lol:

Yall two are nuts. :p :lol: :lol:

A tablet that can run microsoft office and has a decent amount of memory :x $$$ I've been looking for almost a year, but I have to buy one when I get my money from school in a month. My daughter has an Acer Tablet and it's good for searching the web but not so good for school/work type projects. I have hopes that when I graduate this May I can find a job I can do from home. I have yet to find a job that will pay me for 8 hours of work when all I'm capable of doing is 3-4 per day. :x So working from home is a must. :(
A decent computer is not going to come cheap. :( :lol: :lol:

HansenHomestead":1ahhrolf said:
42255-Im-not-a-smart-man-Forrest-Gum-W2X0.jpeg

(even though I am female)

I do think that you are making fun of me!​

burrowing-owl-head-turn.jpg <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jan 08, 2016 1:24 pm __________ <br /><br />
wamplercathy":1ahhrolf said:
Yall two are nuts. :p :lol: :lol:

A tablet that can run microsoft office and has a decent amount of memory :x $$$ I've been looking for almost a year, but I have to buy one when I get my money from school in a month.
A decent computer is not going to come cheap. :( :lol: :lol:
Better be saving your bunny money. Those are pricey if you want a really good one.

I have hopes that when I graduate this May I can find a job I can do from home. I have yet to find a job that will pay me for 8 hours of work when all I'm capable of doing is 3-4 per day. :x So working from home is a must. :(

New empress of eBay coming up. LOL :mrgreen: I know a gal that makes a ton of money selling on there. The biggest hassle is shipping things.

I greatly prefer win 10 to win 8. If I can't get win 10 I go back to win 7. I'd happily use xp still for many things. Sadly in my attempt to make a cheap computer only for playing tv shows and running kintraks I found xp just doesn't install well anymore even if you have a license. Nothing is compatible to the point it can't update itself. You need a 2nd computer to get it running.

I've been using win 7 and love it. My computer keeps wanting me to "upgrade" to win 10 but they aren't compatible with each other. :p :lol: Take that windows. :p :lol:

That's the other thing I don't want win 10. But everything has it. Was hoping they would come out with something better. :cry: :lol:

The business dells I was looking at have win 7 as an option. My mom needs a new office computer so I was going through the dell desktops. I can't say that's the cheapest option. The computers were coming out a bit shy of $1000 but she needs office professional and that's $300+ now. I ended up directing her to a vostro with win 7 to be compatible with her other computers and a program they network across them.

I see all most no difference between 10 and 8.1 other than Microsoft as complete control over your updates and your privacy setting. No Thanks Bill! That and 8.1 is way more stable than 10. I have a dead NEW computer setting here because of 10 and the BSOD.

Keep hunting for an 8.1 machine Cathy. I'll PM you a link to a control panel monitor to get rid of those pesky upgrade messages if you want it. It kills the GWX prompt app but allows you to revert it if you want. LMK <br /><br /> __________ Fri Jan 08, 2016 4:23 pm __________ <br /><br />
akane":mrgemflh said:
The business dells I was looking at have win 7 as an option. ...
Rip the Seagate hard drive out if you go with a dell. They are by far the most unreliable drive out there.
https://www.backblaze.com/blog/hard-drive-reliability-stats-for-q2-2015/

We bought a dell windows 8.1 laptop at walmart in the spring for $298 (not a touch screen). We actually updated to windows 10 and I like it better than windows 8 (it does do this annoying thing where the start menu locks up and you have to do a hard restart to use it). There are settings you can change to make it function much like windows 7. It does what we want which is internet, email, and occasionally world of warcraft. Have you considered Libre Office? It's an open source office suite that is fully compatible with microsoft office. It's all we ever use. You can always buy a cheap laptop and install ubuntu some similar linux operating system. I like linux better than windows and it functions better with low resources.

I'm not touching Windows 10. :p

I've read way too much about it collecting all this data (only some of which has been figured out so far) and sending it back to Microsoft, and the other privacy and control issues.

It tries to push itself onto your machine, and even if you don't want it, various updates will cause 7 and 8.1 to do the same spying on you that 10 does. http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... windows-8/

If you disable the option to upgrade to 10, there are updates that can keep flipping the option back to "on" so it will keep attempting to upgrade.

They have been trying to scare Windows 7 users into upgrading by telling them they continue to use 7 "'at your own risk, at your own peril' and he revealed Microsoft has concerns about its future software and hardware compatibility, security and more.... And so, as we are pushing our ISV [Independent Software Vendor] and hardware partners to build great new stuff that takes advantage of Windows 10 that obviously makes the old stuff really bad and not to mention viruses and security problems." Oh, really? And on their own website they say that 7 is under Extended Support -- which includes security updates -- until mid-January, 2020. It makes me suspicious.

Here's another good one:

We think every machine that is capable of running Windows 10 we should be doing everything we possibly can to get people to move to Windows 10…We are going to try to find that right balance, but we just know there’s a lot of people out there who constantly kick the can down the street without a little bit more of a, frankly, a push.

And so, there’s no doubt with a base as big as ours, it is hard to move anyone to a new model without angering some people. We don’t want to anger anybody, but we do feel a responsibility to get people to a much better place, and Windows 10 is a much better place than Windows 7. We will always give you a way out, but we’re trying to find the right threat balance. (underlining mine)
http://www.forbes.com/sites/gordonkelly ... -problems/

Sorry, if you've decided you need to threaten people into upgrading, you've just stepped into protection racket territory, as far as I'm concerned. I've got old mobster movies playing in my head: "If you know what's good for you, you'll upgrade, see?"

Nope. I'm finally going to use this disgusting behavior as the motivation I needed to install Linux.

Of course, that doesn't help anybody shop for a computer, but... :roll:

I'm still running win 7 on the desktop the husband built me.
He was trying out 10, but just had to re-install windows completely after a total crash triggered by an update.
All I can think is
NO THANKS!
I'll keep 7 until I get a better non-touch PC option.

Latest posts

Back