Computer Shopping....

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
alforddm":1f94b0tb said:
... (it does do this annoying thing where the start menu locks up and you have to do a hard restart to use it). ...
That's because Windows "Defender" (that's a joke) thinks your anti virus software is a threat but...It doesn't know how to stop it (there's nothing wrong) so it does the only thing it knows how to "protect" (there's another joke) your computer, IT CRASHES it. Thus the Blur Screen Of Death, (BSOD). For any of you that remember an old PC locking up, when you reboot it ran check disk to repair any hard drive and software errors, that's what it's doing. If the process gets interrupted, BAM, the gets corrupted and you have an unbootable computer until you reload the operating system. I'm going to, with Linux!
Miss M":1f94b0tb said:
I'm not touching Windows 10. :p
:chicken2: :cheesysmile:
I don't blame you!

If you disable the option to upgrade to 10, there are updates that can keep flipping the option back to "on" so it will keep attempting to upgrade.
Um. Wrong! :p
Like I said, there is a way to STOP that crap. (I referred to it above) I've been running it for several months now and not 1 "get Window 10" message has shown it's ugly head. It use to pop up every time I did a reboot even though I removed the kb3035583 update. You can't get by the permissions to change the GWX updater files...until now. Upload this small control panel that monitors for the Win 10 msg and squashes it!. GWX Control Panel Follow the onscreen to set it up, takes 30 seconds, and you'll never hear from Uncle Bill again about Win 10.

Nope. I'm finally going to use this disgusting behavior as the motivation I needed to install Linux.
Agreed, and I happen to have a 4 month old computer available to play with thanks to Micro-trash. :evil:

:sorry: for the rant and the :hijacked: Cathy. We now return you to your regularly scheduled program.

:lol: :lol:
It's fine I want to hear everything. I love hearing everyone's stories. :p :lol:

I've been waiting for a new windows system but they haven't made one yet
that's why I've put off buying anything. I know the minute I buy a new computer they'll come out with something better. :evil:

Homer":19iaq3qx said:
If you disable the option to upgrade to 10, there are updates that can keep flipping the option back to "on" so it will keep attempting to upgrade.
Um. Wrong! :p
Like I said, there is a way to STOP that crap. (I referred to it above) I've been running it for several months now and not 1 "get Window 10" message has shown it's ugly head. It use to pop up every time I did a reboot even though I removed the kb3035583 update. You can't get by the permissions to change the GWX updater files...until now. Upload this small control panel that monitors for the Win 10 msg and squashes it!. GWX Control Panel Follow the onscreen to set it up, takes 30 seconds, and you'll never hear from Uncle Bill again about Win 10.
Well, yes, of course there's a way to stop it, thanks to the GWX Control Panel... but I'm not wrong. :jump2: The guy who wrote the GWX Control Panel modified it to deal with that very behavior:

"Over Thanksgiving weekend I started getting reports that the Windows Update 'AllowOSUpgrade' setting was getting flipped back on on a number of peoples' PCs, and it keeps re-setting itself at least once a day if they switch it back off," said Josh Mayfield, the software engineer who created GWX Control Panel....

Concurrent with the release of GWX Control Panel 1.6, Mayfield began hearing from users that their PCs were being switched from a "do-not-upgrade-to-Windows-10" status to a "do-upgrade" state, often multiple times daily....

By monitoring his own test PCs -- eight all told -- and from the reports he's received from GWX Control Panel users, Mayfield has concluded that Microsoft is manipulating Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 PCs with behind-the-scenes changes, part of its effort to ensure Windows 10 ends up on as many devices as possible....

Microsoft keeps changing those settings, sometimes adding new ones, without the user knowing, Mayfield said. For example, users have reported that their prior GWX Control Panel settings have been overridden by recent updates from Microsoft. In some cases, even Mayfield has been unable to figure out which components of Windows 7/8.1 were responsible....

When users allow GXW Control Panel to run in the background, what Mayfield called "Monitor Mode" -- and which debuted in version 1.6 -- the app detects any behind-the-scenes changes Microsoft makes to Windows 7 or 8.1 to grease the wheels for the Windows 10 upgrade. Users can then use GWX to restore the PC's settings to a "do-not-upgrade" state.

http://www.computerworld.com/article/30 ... ategy.html

The article's a month old, and it's my understanding that the GWX Control Panel has the ability now to fully automate the computer's resistance to Windows 10 updates. I've been planning to install it on our two Windows 7 machines. I just haven't, because I already have updates set to manual. I've been avoiding the whole Windows 10 thing that way. Of course, doing it the way I've been doing it, you have to keep track of what to avoid... which is why I will be installing the GWX Control Panel.

Once I settle on a Linux distro, I'll be replacing Windows 7 on those two machines. The other two are still running XP, and I'll be using one of them to trial Linux. I already know which one will be going on my mom's XP computer -- Vinux, because it caters to people who are visually impaired. That was recommended to me by the people at StartPage.

The thing is, Microsoft's strategy to muscle 10 onto most people's computers will work. They know they have a mostly captive audience. Sure, there are people who will leave and go to another OS, but they know that the vast majority won't, even if they say they're going to. They made 10 an optional upgrade, then they made it so the window that popped up didn't have a "decline" button (of course you could still click the "X" in the corner, but it's amazing how many people don't know that), and soon (or maybe they've done it already) they'll be classifying it as a "recommended update". Since the vast majority of Windows 7 and 8.1 computers are set to automatically install recommended updates by default (and have never had that setting changed), this will result in most of those computers automatically upgrading to 10. Sure you can downgrade, but that's not always as easy as they make it sound. Some people have lost data when they downgraded, just like some people have lost their computers when they upgraded to 10. And most people will never hear of the GWX Control Panel.

wamplercathy":19iaq3qx said:
I've been waiting for a new windows system but they haven't made one yet
that's why I've put off buying anything. I know the minute I buy a new computer they'll come out with something better. :evil:
I'll pass along the words of a tech acquaintance some 25 years ago: "Buy it before the price goes down."

What he meant was, go buy a computer. As soon as it comes out, it's obsolete anyway (even more so now than then). You can drive yourself nuts trying to make sure you have the latest and best, so just do your homework, settle on one, and go get it -- and then don't look back. Yep, that same computer will be half the price soon. That's just the way it is. :)

I have been looking at the window surface pro. I really like it but there's no disc drive. Not such a deal breaker. A person can get a G1 for about the cost of a desktop. But they are on G4 now. :p :lol: :lol: I don't need the latest and greatest just want something that won't die shortly after buying it and a system that works well without crashing. But the options that are available are soooooo vast. I have no real expertise in computers and little to no trust in sales people. :x

Yall's comments are truly helping. Thanks all.

No disk drive would be a deal breaker for me. I'm too old-fashioned, and must have a disk drive. :lol:

One thing you could do to make things easier on yourself is FIRST decide on an upper limit for your computer budget. Then you can go to sites like newegg.com or amazon... you do have to select desktop, laptop, or whatever first, but then you can set a price range, processor, OS, whatever. When you have narrowed it down as much as you are comfortable doing, then sort by highest reviews. Reviews will help you get one that will work well and last. :)

The Mayfield story is old news. In fact that article is how I found out about the control panel . It came up while I was searching for a way to get rid of the "downgrade" notification. I first installed 1.6 and am now on 1.7.02. Never once since the install has Bill been able to push his malware to my computer. (still sounds like you were wrong to me.) :nana: And yes, my updates are set to manual too. Every knowledge base number gets checked out before it is installed.

The article's a month old, and it's my understanding that the GWX Control Panel has the ability now to fully automate the computer's resistance to Windows 10 updates. I've been planning to install it on our two Windows 7 machines.
Correct, it is automated if you run it in the background and allow it to update itself. Install it, it takes maybe a whole 2 minutes even on a slow connection. (its a very small file) "Set it and forget it". Good grief, now I sound like Billy Maze! :lol:

Once I settle on a Linux distro, I'll be replacing Windows 7 on those two machines.
I'd be interested in which one you choose and why. I've looked into a little bit but not much and not sure which one to go with on my other computer.

Now, back to shopping for a computer...

Must have been running Win 10.
point.gif

daac548f412b18a5332d71bf8eedcbc0.jpg

My favorite is ubuntu gnome https://ubuntugnome.org/ I just love the way the desktop can be customized + it has all the security and ease of use of ubuntu.
If you do have something with a touch screen regular ubuntu is designed for touch screens.

Linux Mint is another ubuntu based desktop that is a good choice and it has several different desktops to choose. http://www.linuxmint.com/

For those who are wondering a desktop in linux is a different "environment" so to speak. The guts and basic operation will be the same but the looks and some of the default programs will differ.

For someone coming from windows. ZorinOS may be a good choice. http://zorinos.com/ It's desktop is desinged to be windows 7 like. It sounds like it also comes with wine already installed which allows many windows applications to run in linux. It's based on Ubuntu as well. (I like Ubuntu in case you can't tell. :lol: :lol: ) I haven't tried it but I think I'm going to download a copy and give it a whirl.

The only reason I still have windows on the laptop is because hubby refuses to change to linux and we share the laptop. The screen recently went out on my linux laptop and it's probably not worth paying $70 to change the screen on a 6 yr old laptop :lol:. I use linux exclusively for developing and working on my websites. I don't consider myself an expert but I have been using linux for years for development so if you have questions I'll be glad to help.

Thanks for the info and the links DM. I'll get into later today to see what's what.

As for the laptop, can't you partition the drive and make it a duel operating system machine? Just a thought.

Yes, I can and have done that with most of our computers, but then hubby fusses about having the extra step at boot so I just roll my eyes and let him have his windows on the laptop.

alforddm":3c2agmys said:
Yes, I can and have done that with most of our computers, but then hubby fusses about having the extra step at boot so I just roll my eyes and let him have his windows on the laptop.
LOL! "just push the dang button will ya"!!!

It's actually easier now because they have updated the grub menu (the one where you select your operating system) so that you can easily set a default operating system. So, you really just have to wait a few extra seconds. I am bad about leaving things on the linux side however, which may be his real gripe because then he has to wait for the computer to reboot :lol:

This isn't such a big deal for me since linux boots so much faster than windows. :D

alforddm":1vla0oyp said:
...This isn't such a big deal for me since linux boots so much faster than windows. :D
That's great! 70% of your resources disappear after the first set of updates on a new machine because of Windows. Way to much garbage going on in the background. :angry: All you have to do is look at the Task Manager to see that.

I've been looking into them and doing research. I'm just indecisive at this point. :oops: :lol: :lol: Also my computer budget keeps getting smaller :cry: Other bills keep popping up. :x :p :p

Homer":1unatoe9 said:
Never once since the install has Bill been able to push his malware to my computer. (still sounds like you were wrong to me.) :nana:
:annihilate:

Correct, it is automated if you run it in the background and allow it to update itself. Install it, it takes maybe a whole 2 minutes even on a slow connection. (its a very small file)
That's good to know! Thanks!

"Set it and forget it". Good grief, now I sound like Billy Maze! :lol:
That would be Ron Popeil. See, now you've been wrong twice in the same thread! :twisted:

I'd be interested in which one you choose and why. I've looked into a little bit but not much and not sure which one to go with on my other computer.
I'll be sure to post about it. I have looked into Mint some, but I'm focusing on getting Vinux for my mom first.

It's a shame that she is so limited on a computer these days. She was a computer programmer for years. :(

Must have been running Win 10. Image
*choke*

I have a friend whose machine automatically updated to 10 without warning. Right after that, it burned up the motherboard. Then it burned up a brand-new motherboard.

alforddm":1unatoe9 said:
I don't consider myself an expert but I have been using linux for years for development so if you have questions I'll be glad to help.
Thank you for your suggestions and offer! I will probably be picking your brain shortly. It's a bit intimidating.

LOL! "just push the dang button will ya"!!!
:lol:

...This isn't such a big deal for me since linux boots so much faster than windows. :D
That's great! 70% of your resources disappear after the first set of updates on a new machine because of Windows. Way to much garbage going on in the background. :angry: All you have to do is look at the Task Manager to see that.
Yes! I hate that! Sometimes, I visit www.blackviper.com and run through the appropriate services configuration (the "safe" column) for ideas on stuff to disable entirely or turn to manual.

wamplercathy":1unatoe9 said:
Also my computer budget keeps getting smaller :cry: Other bills keep popping up. :x :p :p
Yeah... I know how that goes.

:annihilate:
Loosing your touch huh? Here, let me help you with that chair. You seem to have misplaced it.:twisted:

PSY-Pulls-Out-Chair-Gentleman.gif

Miss M":375lhpza said:
Homer":375lhpza said:
"Set it and forget it". Good grief, now I sound like Billy Maze! :lol:
That would be Ron Popeil. See, now you've been wrong twice in the same thread! :twisted:
Nope, only once...maybe. :p

I have a friend whose machine automatically updated to 10 without warning. Right after that, it burned up the motherboard. Then it burned up a brand-new motherboard.
How did it start the downgrade all by itself? Running updates automatically?

Yes! I hate that! Sometimes, I visit http://www.blackviper.com and run through the appropriate services configuration (the "safe" column) for ideas on stuff to disable entirely or turn to manual.
Thanks! Off to have a look now. :geek: <br /><br /> __________ Mon Jan 11, 2016 10:50 am __________ <br /><br /> Here ya go Cathy. Found this little gem on Craig's List. All the drives and back system you'll ever need...and it has a detachable keyboard like the Pro!

http://pueblo.craigslist.org/sys/5395767885.html :mrgreen:

Homer":d0ukez8c said:
Loosing your touch huh? Here, let me help you with that chair. You seem to have misplaced it.:twisted:
Nope... not misplaced. I just had to finish working the dents out from the last time. All done!

:chair: :chair: :chair:

How did it start the downgrade all by itself? Running updates automatically?
Yes, apparently... she said that one day it just came up installing, so that's what I figured. She's in India, and took it to a local computer store after it fried. They put in a new motherboard. I read after that that 10 was causing some people's computers to run hot, burning up parts. :?

Yes! I hate that! Sometimes, I visit http://www.blackviper.com and run through the appropriate services configuration (the "safe" column) for ideas on stuff to disable entirely or turn to manual.
Thanks! Off to have a look now. :geek:
You're welcome! Tell me what you think! I've never had any problem with any of the settings I have tried. I've never tried anything not on the "safe" list. I have no reason to try the stuff on the other lists.

Here ya go Cathy. Found this little gem on Craig's List. All the drives and back system you'll ever need...and it has a detachable keyboard like the Pro!
:rotfl: <br /><br /> __________ Tue Jan 12, 2016 2:07 pm __________ <br /><br /> Cathy, any progress on the search?

Won't have the funds till the first week of Feb. But am leaning towards a desktop. It won't be mobile but at least I will be able to afford a really good one. Which brand :?
That's still up in the air. I'm going to look at price, if coupons are available, or store sales. I will be getting my truck fixed the end of this months. :p I've missed my truck. :cry:

Wheels are good to have, and are sorely missed when they're broken down!

Let us know what you get, or if you have any more questions... we'll try not to get into another food fight. :p

It sounds crazy but be sure and check the manufacturers web sites Cathy. I know HP at least has some killer deals on their stuff from time to time.

Miss M":2r0xn5dw said:
... we'll try not to get into another food fight. :p

Says who? :twisted:

latest

Latest posts

Back