Christmas Rabbits.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stephanie":3pakqhaj said:
When I read your questions, I remembered reading something here that would answer your question. I did a search and found it.
http://rabbittalk.com/post51787.html?hilit=thermometer meat#p51787

Thanks for the link but it wasn't much help but was a fun read. Bunnygal has a system in place that works very well for her. A system that has taken 30+ years to get right. This is my first winter with rabbits and the breeder I got them from kept his rabbitry around 33-34*. Mine will get quite a bit cooler and don't want to lose any kits due to me not being prepared. I have 1 heat lamp that I used for my turtle. The first litter I'm not so worried about but the other two are going to kindle right in the middle of a cold front. So lows in the teens is possible. :? :? I'll pick up an extra lamp and a few bulbs. The first litter will be around 2wks old by the time the other litters arrive so maybe they won't need the lamp. :?

wamplercathy":2iylufke said:
Stephanie":2iylufke said:
When I read your questions, I remembered reading something here that would answer your question. I did a search and found it.
http://rabbittalk.com/post51787.html?hilit=thermometer meat#p51787

Thanks for the link but it wasn't much help but was a fun read. Bunnygal has a system in place that works very well for her. A system that has taken 30+ years to get right. This is my first winter with rabbits and the breeder I got them from kept his rabbitry around 33-34*. Mine will get quite a bit cooler and don't want to lose any kits due to me not being prepared. I have 1 heat lamp that I used for my turtle. The first litter I'm not so worried about but the other two are going to kindle right in the middle of a cold front. So lows in the teens is possible. :? :? I'll pick up an extra lamp and a few bulbs. The first litter will be around 2wks old by the time the other litters arrive so maybe they won't need the lamp. :?

I wouldn't worry about the cold too much ... just make sure they are protected from wind and rain and they'll be fine. I've had does kindle with the temps in the teens on a couple occasions without incident.
As long as the doe's do what they are suppose to do , build a nice nest and pull plenty of fur it wont be any different than spring or fall litters .... It's the stupid does who have their litters on the wire that will be a problem , you wont save many (any?) kits in those conditions.

Thanks. DH said they should be fine as long as the doe lays on them. :p :lol: :lol: Like a chicken :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's a good thing he's so cute and I love him. He's always good for a laugh. When he said that this is the kind of image I saw in my head.
bunny nesting (450x341).jpg
:p :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :p :lol: :lol: :lol:

wamplercathy":2c84xrh5 said:
Thanks. DH said they should be fine as long as the doe lays on them. :p :lol: :lol: Like a chicken :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: It's a good thing he's so cute and I love him. He's always good for a laugh. When he said that this is the kind of image I saw in my head.

That's funny .... kinda.

I lost 12 of 14 in my very first litter because the doe laid on them .... My fault for giving her too large a nest box. Lesson learned.

Had a second litter (if you want to call it that) born Sunday .... One kit , on the wire from a doe who normally gives me 8-12 very seldom losing a kit and never on the wire before.
I tried to save it , warmed it up and fostered it to the other doe .... noticed yesterday it had a lump on its abdomen and dispatched it.

That was the first kit I have gotten out of that particular buck this year. I'm going to chalk that one up to him still having heat issues (I hope that's all it is) , rebred her to my other buck who she has already produced a small litter (3) with , born Oct1.

This is her 3rd year in production , may be time to replace her ..... but I'm going to give her one more chance since she has been so good in the past. Another small litter or failed pregnancy .... and she's out of production and likely culled as much as I hate the thought of it.

I'm glad to hear about everyone's success. Love the pictures also. I've only had rabbits since April and I'm hoping I can handle 3 litters going at the same time. :oops: I never knew how much they ate. :lol: Daughter is super excited about her doe kindling for the first time. We'll be keeping a close, yet distant eye on Rosa. :lol: :lol: <br /><br /> -- Tue Dec 08, 2015 3:21 pm -- <br /><br />
Ramjet":wubsr072 said:
That's funny .... kinda.

I lost 12 of 14 in my very first litter because the doe laid on them .... My fault for giving her too large a nest box. Lesson learned.

My proven doe had a litter of 9 lost a total of 4 :x mostly due to my errors. But 1 was at the bottom of a bunny pile. Never a fun place to be. :x

Buffy kindled 8 live ones. she had 11, but they weren't in the best shape, but I'm ok since she survived my near starvation experience this summer. I'm just thankful she took and kindled in the winter.

My nest boxes all have wire bottoms. In months with an "R" in them, I cut up an empty feed bag to fit the bottom - width of bag is equal to length of nest box so just cutting it to fit the width of the nest box - I get about 3 bottoms per bag and don't have to scrounge for cardboard anymore. I usually clean out the nest box at 10 to 14 days - pulling out the hay, fur, bag bottom, etc. then put clean hay back in the box. If the temps are still low, I'll put a clean bag bottom in as well. At 21 days, the bag bottom comes out and I open the front of the nest box. After 4 or 5 weeks, the entire nest box comes out.

Had problems with the does "digging" through the cardboard, shredding it to bits. Solved that by cutting another piece of 1/2 x 1 floor wire to fit in the bottom of the box on top of the cardboard. No more shredding and being able to lift that extra wire floor makes it easy to pull the cardboard or bag bottom out without totally tearing up the nest. When the time comes to clean out the nest box, I can just lift that extra wire floor carefully and pull out the entire mess and dump it. (After making sure all the kits are out, of course.)

In months without an "R", I still put the extra wire bottom in but no cardboard or bag bottom. The extra wire bottom helps the hay and bedding stay in and not all go through the floor. This way, with the warmer weather, there's a little more air circulation, etc.

I skipped the early Nov breeding so don't have any litters due this week. Expecting 3 litters on the 22nd (almost Christmas Rabbits) and we're back on the normal schedule. Family has been nagging me for some rabbit gumbo so may have to do some harvesting this weekend. Today was filled with raking leaves. Same thing scheduled for tomorrow. Hope y'all have full nest boxes and gentle weather. Merry Christmas!

Mama, the proven doe, is due to kindle by the end of the week. :p She requested her box last Friday. When I put it in she took everything out and built a beautiful nest right beside it. :evil: :roll: So I gathered everything up and put it all back in the box. Then placed the box where she had built the nest. She's been staring at it for the past few days. But tonight when I went down to feed them I caught her playing in the box. I just hope she doesn't decide to build it off in another corner.

I've got two Dwarf Hotot does due Christmas Eve and Christmas Day, didn't realize that until I entered the info into the management software. Merry Christmas to me! Should be old enough to show in the early summer. I keep a light on the does during the winter and I seem to be getting good results. I'm going to replace the light bulb with a strand of LED lights now that they are on sale everywhere.

It's 80 today but supposed to drop Sunday to the high 50's low 60's. So far it's been unseasonably warm and the extended forecast averages out to about 65 degrees through the end of the month. I'm breeding all winter and spring, it gets too darn hot here in the summer but I am going to try keeping my two bucks in the air conditioning during the hot part of the day.

Oh I love the look of the Hotot. They look so sweet and nice with a side of I'll stab ya if you cross me. :twisted: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

My proven doe, the one I wasn't worried about having kindling issue, just had her litter last night/early morning. Found 3 on the wire and 3 in the nest. Trying to warm them now. :evil: The barn was about 40* when I got down there this morning. :slap:

Marry Christmas, here's some :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop: :bunnyhop:

Daughter's doe kindled yesterday afternoon. Looks like there might be 7 in the box. She was watching Rosa all day and the sneaky little doe had them in between the times she was down there. :p :lol: :lol: There was never any evidence to show she'd kindled. I stuck my hand in the box and found a handful of wigglies. Am planning on waiting till they get some fur before I do a solid count. It was 30* out in the rabbitry this morning with the outside air around 20*. Two down and one to go. :p :lol: :lol:

Sali":3udcgso9 said:
I have 3 does due 12/15 :)
So what happened? :popcorn:

Congrats to everyone else that had litters.

I have some information to share that will help you all soon. PSF Angoras and I have been working on a little something for you. We are both still proving it so you have to wait. I think a New Years Day post is coming your way. :) ...Sorry to string you along. :roll: Oh no I'm not. :twisted: Ya have to wait.

Homer":2c0k5hkl said:
Sali":2c0k5hkl said:

I have some information to share that will help you all soon. PSF Angoras and I have been working on a little something for you. We are both still proving it so you have to wait. I think a New Years Day post is coming your way. :) ...Sorry to string you along. :roll: Oh no I'm not. :twisted: Ya have to wait.

That is just evil...

alforddm":2y1dsli9 said:
Homer":2y1dsli9 said:
Sali":2y1dsli9 said:

That is just evil...
63022628.jpg

:p :lol:

I do so love surprises. :mrgreen: <br /><br /> -- Sun Jan 03, 2016 10:05 am -- <br /><br /> Well 2016 is shaping up to be a great year. :evil:
Rosa lost 4 of her kits to rodents.
Mama lost 3 of her kits to birthing on the wire.
And
Tartar lost her whole litter to the cold and laziness. :x She never covered her kit after feeding them last night. Went out to give Rosa her kits and found the frozen litter. Tried to rewarm but all were too far gone. :cry:

Going to try to re-breed Tartar tomorrow.

Come on 2016 you have to get better.

Thanks Homer. I plan to re-breed Tartar tomorrow. Do I need to do anything to dry up her milk? I have a mint plant in the house. Brought it in with hopes that it and the lavender would survive the winter. But like everything else they're dead. :(

Anyways just would like to know before I try to breed her tomorrow.
Thanks all,
Cathy

Latest posts

Back