Chestnut? Otter? Black?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I haven't given it any thought till this moment, but I'm suddenly totally perplexed at how you got a broken at all, given that neither parent is broken. Broken is dominant, so other patterns can't conceal/carry it. Only REW and (and maybe himi if you weren't paying attention) could conceal a broken pattern. The only thing I can think of is that your doe isn't actually vienna, but rather a very heavily-colored broken self chin... though I've never seen a broken *that* heavily marked!
Seriously a mystery!

If she was a self chin could that be why she produce chins or could she have produced chins anyway?
If she was a self chin, it would make it more likely she would produce chins. But even if she was a full-color <C> black, if she also carried chin <cchd> (or one of the more recessive cchl, ch or c) she could produce chins with a sire that carried chin. All it takes is one parent to give the <cchd>, and one to give the same or a more recessive gene, plus one copy of the agouti <A> (which your chestnut buck has).
A self chin could carry a vienna gene just as easily as a black, but it's the broken kit that's blowing my mind. :)

I have a Charlie buck that would explain the broken but I don’t remember breeding kally (the mom) with him. Maybe I tried to breed them to but he didn’t falloff and then I breed her successfully with chess (the chestnut buck) but I don’t remember that. if Kally was broken then why does she have blue eyes.

Hmm. How blue? Sometimes chin can make a muddy blue gray eye. I have a few kits like that I'll try to get a pic.

We can only guess with mixed kits. But as you cross rabbits to different partners it can help your guesses become more accurate over time. It's fun to try to guess, but without a long long long pedigree and many breedings, it can be very hard to figure out. That's why mutts are so fun, they can surprise you!

Latest posts

Back