Breeding

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CindyGodwin

Reaction score
We just got a female to breed with our males. She is old enough and owner said she is ready. We brought her home and mated immediately. Problem is, she will not stop pooping and peeing in her bedding area, and it’s been almost 21 days and she has not started pulling any hair. What should we do different?

Rabbits are easily litter trained so she may have just decided that the nest box is her litter box, I’ve had it happen before as well.

Rabbits usually do not pull fur until the day of kindling (30-32) so I wouldn’t start worrying about that yet.

Next time you get a new doe I recommend giving her at least a week to settle in before breeding. I do this for two main reasons

• new rabbits should spend the first 30 days in quarantine away from other animals to make sure they are in good health and do not have mites. This also give them time to settle into their new environment.
  • Large amounts stress can cause a rabbit to become infertile. This includes environment changes and long car rides.
If she does end up not kindling, I would give her about a week before trying again. I’d do this so that she has time to recover from anything that may have happened with her previous pregnancy (like miscarriages, if she even was pregnant,) to make sure she isn’t just a late kindlier, and so that she has time to settle in the rest of the way without and disturbances.

Agree! Any doe I have usually pulls fur either the day of, or a max a day before, she's about to have her litter. I have had new (to me) does that were first time mothers that pulled fur 2 days before but that's rare for us. Literrbox training is super easy also! Good luck 😊

most rabbits (most not all) will pull fur immediately before or after kindling. If you have a hutch style habitat for rabbits with a wire area, it's best, when first introducing them to the hutch, to block them OUT of the enclosed area until they choose an area outside to "do their business".

At this point it will be very difficult to change her mind and any other animals you put in that habitat will want to use the same area as it will smell like a "do your business here" area.

You most likely will need to build her a new nestbox. Two inches bigger than her all around. with or without a top, whatever fits your fancy.

Put it in on day 28 if she doesn't ask for it sooner (asking is carrying around bits of hay or debris or looking like she searching for something to nest with). Then wait... in my herd... til day 33 at the latest... in other herds as late as day 40 post breeding date. Most of mine kindle day 30 or 31.

We have just had 3 of our does haystach and pull some fur 1.5 weeks ahead of kindling date. One a proven mom, one that we purchased so we don't know her routine, and a first time mom. Was worried they all had false pregnancies, but all seem to be pregnant by fullness so we will wait and see. Was very strange having all 3 do their prep that early. Maybe the weather fluctuations? Anyway looking for healthy litters soon.

I have a doe that does that, makes a sort of pre/practice nest around the is this too late for a false pregnancy date and then pretty much nothing untill kindling when there is enough fur in the nestbox to stuff a pillow and a doe that looks like she didn't loose any fur.
Her daughter starts hopping around with a little moustache a few hours before kindling and doesn't show anything before that.

Back