Been asked to kill a pet rabbit...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Zass":3kp4muny said:
it's not allowed here to keep pet rabbits alone

You mean it's actually illegal??? :shock:
Preitler":3kp4muny said:
I've never heard this law being executed anyway, a paper dinosaur.

That may be so, but it is still oh-so-conveniently a law.

There are now so many laws on the books of most countries that it is impossible even for those that practice law to know them all- and since most state that "ignorance of the law is no excuse", we are all unknowingly law breakers in some way. This sets a very dangerous precedent should at any time a tyrannical government come into power that you have a dissenting view against, because they will surely be able to find something criminal to convict you of.

Preitler":3kp4muny said:
Now that I know these people I would help them, but I'm new in town, just moved here, and that was just a bad start.

Being new in town, that would have been a very awkward situation... but they obviously already knew more about you than you did about them, since you were the one they knew to ask to put their rabbit down since you were complete strangers up until that point.

Despite the tragic circumstances of your meeting, I'm glad you connected with your neighbors. I think that the bonds of community will be more important than ever very soon.

Well, it happened again, this time she asked me to euthanise a kit (very beatiful harlekin, about 2-3 weeks) which was injured either by rats or some accident with her mother, didn't eat anymore. I actually offered her that last time if the need should occur, so no awkward situation.

I waited 2 hours because I didn't see an injury, and the behaviour wasn't all that far off (stress of being carried, I guess), but it soon started to tremble, losing coordination and grinding teeth (at least sounded like that), so I dispatched it.
I just needed to be convinced and see for myself that it really was beyond hope.

Well I understand about having troubles euthanizing your pets. I have helped a friend with that before. But using you as her own personal euthanizer is a bit much. The first thing I did when I started raising rabbits again was to see if I could cull/butcher. If I couldn't then that would have been the end of my rabbit endeavor.

Oh you offered :) That was nice of you but she still needs that ability if she is breeding bunnies. Poor baby. I hope I don't get rats!

If I really really had to I could kill an animal, but since I don˙t I have two butchers/euthanizers for rabbits and one for sheep. I don`t have issuses with raising meat animals, knowing that they will become meat and handling dead corpses and their remains, but I can`t stand when animal is dying, that second when it changes from live to dead. I bring rabbit to my butcher and go away 10 seconds. For owners of pet rabbits people like Preitler must be very precious. I know that I am very thankful that I don`t need to watch them die.

The whole situation and waiting to be sure whether the kit is in a really bad shape was really kind of you, Preitler.

Back