Are my Rex rabbits to young for a breeding colony?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rexyrabs

Reaction score
Hi everyone, I have a male standard Rex who is a little over a year old and two does (sisters already living together) that are 4 months old. The sisters live in a large hutch next to the male in his hutch, I’m going to build a large enclosure to have them live together as a colony, but will likely have an extension on the enclosure for the male when the does have kits in order to give them a break from breeding.
Anyway, are the does too young to start breeding in your opinions? I have done quite a bit of research and keep getting conflicting info regarding age for doe to start breeding. Any advice and wisdom would be much appreciated. Thank you.

Hi everyone, I have a male standard Rex who is a little over a year old and two does (sisters already living together) that are 4 months old. The sisters live in a large hutch next to the male in his hutch, I’m going to build a large enclosure to have them live together as a colony, but will likely have an extension on the enclosure for the male when the does have kits in order to give them a break from breeding.
Anyway, are the does too young to start breeding in your opinions? I have done quite a bit of research and keep getting conflicting info regarding age for doe to start breeding. Any advice and wisdom would be much appreciated. Thank you.
I agree with @RabbitsOfTheCreek that it's safer to wait until 5.5-6 months. They can get pregnant before that (and probably will if you introduce the male) but it may compromise their own development.

Back