Any tips on getting rid of rats?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So, there I stood, ready to save hubby. He popped the hood, and a brown blur came barreling out. I had just enough time to recognize it was a rat and ready my weapon to dispatch it when Skeeter's mad fury made it change direction, and it proceeded to run up my leg! I admit I screamed like a girl, because, well, I am one, and I think I set a world record for a standing long jump by a 50ish lady, and off went Mr. Rat, to be quickly dispatched by the dogs. Once I calmed down, I asked my hubby what he was thinking handing me a sharp device like a sling blade, because I am almost sure that if that plague carrying vermin had been on my leg for two more seconds, I would now be known, affectionately of course, as Stumpy.]

:rotfl: :rotfl:

EDIT: just fixed my broken quote

alforddm":2f3gzf3k said:
[quoteSo, there I stood, ready to save hubby. He popped the hood, and a brown blur came barreling out. I had just enough time to recognize it was a rat and ready my weapon to dispatch it when Skeeter's mad fury made it change direction, and it proceeded to run up my leg! I admit I screamed like a girl, because, well, I am one, and I think I set a world record for a standing long jump by a 50ish lady, and off went Mr. Rat, to be quickly dispatched by the dogs. Once I calmed down, I asked my hubby what he was thinking handing me a sharp device like a sling blade, because I am almost sure that if that plague carrying vermin had been on my leg for two more seconds, I would now be known, affectionately of course, as Stumpy.]

:rotfl: :rotfl:[/quote]

Now THAT is a rat story!

I don't normally scream, but I am pretty sure I would have then! :x

Jack Russell. You can find them anywhere in any pound. They would love nothing more than to patrol your property and destroy them all. Nothing as fearless as a good Jack. Best dogs I ever had, and I groom for a living. I have five, and there is no mole or rat anywhere near this place.

Please do not use poison! It's not always effective, it's an inhumane death (they bleed out), and that inhumane death is transferable to anything that eats them - and I can almost guarantee something WILL eat them. Even if you bag them and take them to a landfill, birds, other animals, and beneficial insects get into it there. Hawks WILL also scavenge dead rats (I have personally seen them do so) as will domestic pets and many other species of wildlife. You also have no control over when or where that rat dies (if your house is nearby, it may just be inside a wall where you can't reach it). There's a LOT more effective methods such as the bucket trap, glue traps, or snap traps.

My personal favorite though are snap traps, which have been studied and have been found to be the most humane method of rat killing. They die instantly of a broken neck. Hilariously, the best bait are chocolate tootsie rolls (only effective during colder months and make sure you affix it UNDER the bait trigger, this ensures a clean kill every time)

I have taken care of a huge rat infestation with snap traps alone (though my cat took out maybe 3 rats I know of himself and this is not counting making my property far less attractive) these were HUGE rats which were killing young chickens by gnawing on them while they were still alive as they roosted at night. They also stole the eggs as the hens laid them. It was awful but I swear by the snap traps now.

Sali":d3ny0x2e said:
Please do not use poison! It's not always effective, it's an inhumane death (they bleed out), and that inhumane death is transferable to anything that eats them - and I can almost guarantee something WILL eat them. Even if you bag them and take them to a landfill, birds, other animals, and beneficial insects get into it there. Hawks WILL also scavenge dead rats (I have personally seen them do so) as will domestic pets and many other species of wildlife. You also have no control over when or where that rat dies (if your house is nearby, it may just be inside a wall where you can't reach it). There's a LOT more effective methods such as the bucket trap, glue traps, or snap traps.

My personal favorite though are snap traps, which have been studied and have been found to be the most humane method of rat killing. They die instantly of a broken neck. Hilariously, the best bait are chocolate tootsie rolls (only effective during colder months and make sure you affix it UNDER the bait trigger, this ensures a clean kill every time)

I have taken care of a huge rat infestation with snap traps alone (though my cat took out maybe 3 rats I know of himself and this is not counting making my property far less attractive) these were HUGE rats which were killing young chickens by gnawing on them while they were still alive as they roosted at night. They also stole the eggs as the hens laid them. It was awful but I swear by the snap traps now.

Many of the poison are set up not to travel to secondary animals. That's what we use around the house because of our cat and dogs. I have my snakes and a cat. But we still need to set traps and after awhile they become ineffective because the little buggers get wise to them. Those snap traps were no use around here. Had a mouse, mouse, trip the trap and drag it into the wall. :p :x :lol: :lol: So sometimes poison is needed or even soda pop. Like to change it up. :twisted: :p :lol: :lol:

One really effective way is to set a long thing piece of wood (think ruler) on the edge of a table. Set a large trashcan half full of water under it. Set the ruler half on and half off the edge of the table and stick bait (soft cheese or peanut butter) on the end that hangs off the edge. Rat runs out on the stick to get the cheese and it tips him into the water and he drowns.

Also don't doubt the power of a good cat, right after I posted I was outside hosing off some buckets when I heard shrieks and boom - cat was darting out from under my house with a huge - and very mad squirrel. They try to start nests in my walls around this time of year and cause MAJOR damage to cages, feeders, and waterers for my stock. They are ruthless and just as bad as rats (the only difference is they are bigger, faster, and have bushy tails).

I watch this creature and my cat charging each other, squirrel trying to bite cat, cat trying to pin squirrel. It was a swift dance and flurry of sharp weapons from both parties. They were literally spinning in circles in my yard trying to get the upper hand. Finally the squirrel realizes there is thick brush and trees right nearby. It spins their little spar into the thick brush. I could hear the squirrel screaming between bouts of calm - then suddenly the sound of bark being clawed at. I think - shoot! It got away - then I hear much larger claws ripping up bark after it - another scream and the fight continues in the brush. This battle continued for several minutes before with silence - a victor emerges...

... and then vanishes back under the house with their prize. :sick: Don't you know I have salmon-flavored canned dinner for you tonight cat? Blech.

Attachments

• catkill.jpg
    catkill.jpg
    109.7 KB · Views: 742
  • catkill2.jpg
    catkill2.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 742
Sali":spm0duxr said:
Also don't doubt the power of a good cat, right after I posted I was outside hosing off some buckets when I heard shrieks and boom - cat was darting out from under my house with a huge - and very mad squirrel. They try to start nests in my walls around this time of year and cause MAJOR damage to cages, feeders, and waterers for my stock. They are ruthless and just as bad as rats (the only difference is they are bigger, faster, and have bushy tails).

I watch this creature and my cat charging each other, squirrel trying to bite cat, cat trying to pin squirrel. It was a swift dance and flurry of sharp weapons from both parties. They were literally spinning in circles in my yard trying to get the upper hand. Finally the squirrel realizes there is thick brush and trees right nearby. It spins their little spar into the thick brush. I could hear the squirrel screaming between bouts of calm - then suddenly the sound of bark being clawed at. I think - shoot! It got away - then I hear much larger claws ripping up bark after it - another scream and the fight continues in the brush. This battle continued for several minutes before with silence - a victor emerges...

... and then vanishes back under the house with their prize. :sick: Don't you know I have salmon-flavored canned dinner for you tonight cat? Blech.

I can only imagine that noise that ruckus caused!! Yowzers!!

Beautiful cat, though!! :)

We have avoided getting a cat for several reasons 1) We don't want to deal with a litterbox indoors, and live in TX so its really hot to keep a cat outdoors all summer 2) Cats are finiky-you never know if you will be petting it and its enjoying it then it turns around and bites you 3) we already have a lot of pets. Then a year ago we found a sweet stray grey and white cat hanging around, and started to put some dog food out for her. She let us get to know her and was appreciative of everything we did for her. We bought a bag of cat food, and kept buying them. A few months later we took her to the vet. She adopted us! Now we are realizing that she's much cheaper to keep around than hiring a pest control company. She likes being outside, and is young so shes not too bothered by the heat. She likes us to pet her and cuddle her, but she kills rats and birds and it fun to watch from the window when shes focused on something. She mostly just wants to be a cat, and I feel we are doing more for her now than what she was getting before. She has earned her place around here. We might consider a terrier to help her out if she cant handle it all on her own, but for now shes it:)

macksmom98":cxqb9q9o said:
We have avoided getting a cat for several reasons 1) We don't want to deal with a litterbox indoors, and live in TX so its really hot to keep a cat outdoors all summer 2) Cats are finiky-you never know if you will be petting it and its enjoying it then it turns around and bites you 3) we already have a lot of pets. Then a year ago we found a sweet stray grey and white cat hanging around, and started to put some dog food out for her. She let us get to know her and was appreciative of everything we did for her. We bought a bag of cat food, and kept buying them. A few months later we took her to the vet. She adopted us! Now we are realizing that she's much cheaper to keep around than hiring a pest control company. She likes being outside, and is young so shes not too bothered by the heat. She likes us to pet her and cuddle her, but she kills rats and birds and it fun to watch from the window when shes focused on something. She mostly just wants to be a cat, and I feel we are doing more for her now than what she was getting before. She has earned her place around here. We might consider a terrier to help her out if she cant handle it all on her own, but for now shes it:)

Also, cats unlike humans actually like it hot. Most cats even become too cold when inside a home (this is why you find no matter how hot it is, cats will still pick the hottest spot in your house to lay in). Some studies even say 75-90's are their comfort range and lower than 75 and the cats bodies show signs of being too cold. Not to say they can't find their way well below 75.

Sorry for hijacking XD just a thought for some folks in hotter regions. Enjoy parting pic of Mi currently sleeping off the squirrel dinner.

(Edited cause I'm too sleepy and was off by a few degrees)

Attachments

• speepycat.jpg
    speepycat.jpg
    174.9 KB · Views: 733
Such a cute pic! That's good to know about them doing well in the heat, I actually worried much less about her than I did the buns, I suppose that is why! I think I knew she was more comfortable than them without even really thinking about it. I grew up on a farm with outdoor cats, and used to dress them up and play with them all the time when I was little. There is a place for every creature, and they are definitely interesting. I am enjoying having one around again!

Our cat got so hot over this summer we actually had to provide him a cooling pool. With that said it didn't even get that hot here this year. But yes he is a great hunter and we love his help. Every time I think about getting rid of him, he pops up with a dead mouse or mole and he gets a reprieve. :lol: :lol:

macksmom98":o39d64u2 said:
We had a rat run out of our BBQ grill last night:(. I am hoping for new litters in less than 30 days, so I don't want them hanging in our back yard. We live in town and behind a field, and also have an old shed in disrepair in our backyard. I am just wondering what the best way to get rid of them will be and also how likely I am to have problems. I had one sucessful litter in the spring and the kits were fine, the rats either didn't find them or wernt around then....
Peppermint oil. Works like a charm! I just soak some fabric or cotton-ball and lay it down usually, but with our recent wolf-spider problem I'm thinking about spraying it all around the perimeter. We haven't had a problem since we started doing it, but I keep doing it because the last time we had a problem it was a HUGE problem. Big enough that I went in search of a tom cat to bring inside and together we caught 12 mice in a week. It was awful! I vowed to never have that problem again.

I buy mine through DoTerra (I'm a member, so I get it at wholesale price), but before I started using it from there I also had luck with the general extract you can buy in the grocery.

PinkPenguin":1kjbgtg6 said:
Peppermint oil. Works like a charm!

Oh! That spurred my memory! A lot of people use Bounce dryer sheets in their hay barns. The rats hate the smell and stay away. You just need to replace them when they start losing their scent.

Latest posts

Back