Another Passion: warning...not for the faint of heart.

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I forgot to mention:

A well spotted large, Missouri-cat can bring upwards
of $200.00 when the fur market is strong.

I 'no-saled' a large tom one year at the fur auction that wasn't very well marked.
My best offer was $18.00. I sent the pelt to a company and had it garment
tanned. It turned out beautiful. I sold the finished fur for $100.00
to a fella that's into the 'mountain-man' rendezvous groups.

Some of the 'high-desert' (blue-color phase) cats of Arizona and New Mexico will top $1000.00 a piece in a good year.

grumpy

Dagnabitall...Grumpy, I was hoping you were in the Carolinas...for some reason I thought you were...I could use a little help and thought of you...well, I'll toss it out there and see what you can tell me...

I live on the coast of NC, right at the NC/SC border....mostly rural but populated..I like to call it "subrural"...I know that in more rural areas of Brunswick County, NC there are bobcat and fox and boar and other wild critters. In fact, folks have killed boar not 3 miles from me. But, until this past week, I've been "wild critter free"...or so I thought...

2 of my mother's silkies were pilfered with nothing left behind except scattered feathers. I'd like to believe the predator was a possum or coon but since only feathers were left...that isn't their usual MO. (I did catch a possum in a trap the night after the pilfering but it was on the small side so I am sure it wasn't what took 2 silkies.) My pastor is concerned that it might be the work of either a fox or, worse, a bobcat.

My set-up: chicken coop is open on two sides, those sides leading to two separate chicken yards, fenced but only partly covered above--mostly a discouragement to hawks....additional fencing around that as our backyard "animal yard'. This additional fencing recently was added. It is 4ft chainlink. I have not yet gotten the 1x6 board I need to close the gap between the end posts and the house. The gap is at most 4-6 inches wide. A small fox could squeeze through...of course a bobcat can leap over.

So...thoughts on what I might be dealing with? if it is a bobcat, what then? My pastor said the Wildlife folks won't come help unless I actually see a bobcat...as if...

Is there any chance that you could either buy or borrow a wildlife camera? They take a picture based on detecting motion.

WELL DONE Grumpy!!!! :D Not everyone can trap or shoot a nuisance predator...kudos for being just that skilled!!!! :D

I too wonder, what do you do with them? If you were to salt a raw bobcat pelt, would you consider selling or trading it away? :mrgreen:

Hoosier":jxu439u3 said:
Is there any chance that you could either buy or borrow a wildlife camera? They take a picture based on detecting motion.

I'll see if anyone has one I can borrow.

My Pastor is going to send his son over to cut the grass along the outside of the fence right to dirt and sprinkle flour over it so we can hopefully get footprints to help us know what we are dealing with.

Frecs":1u9s6otw said:
Dagnabitall...Grumpy, I was hoping you were in the Carolinas...for some reason I thought you were...I could use a little help and thought of you...well, I'll toss it out there and see what you can tell me...

I live on the coast of NC, right at the NC/SC border....mostly rural but populated..I like to call it "subrural"...I know that in more rural areas of Brunswick County, NC there are bobcat and fox and boar and other wild critters. In fact, folks have killed boar not 3 miles from me. But, until this past week, I've been "wild critter free"...or so I thought...

2 of my mother's silkies were pilfered with nothing left behind except scattered feathers. I'd like to believe the predator was a possum or coon but since only feathers were left...that isn't their usual MO. (I did catch a possum in a trap the night after the pilfering but it was on the small side so I am sure it wasn't what took 2 silkies.) My pastor is concerned that it might be the work of either a fox or, worse, a bobcat.

My set-up: chicken coop is open on two sides, those sides leading to two separate chicken yards, fenced but only partly covered above--mostly a discouragement to hawks....additional fencing around that as our backyard "animal yard'. This additional fencing recently was added. It is 4ft chainlink. I have not yet gotten the 1x6 board I need to close the gap between the end posts and the house. The gap is at most 4-6 inches wide. A small fox could squeeze through...of course a bobcat can leap over.
So...thoughts on what I might be dealing with? if it is a bobcat, what then? My pastor said the Wildlife folks won't come help unless I actually see a bobcat...as if...

Use a relaxing cable restraint....and guard the gap with it.
Cable restraints are basically snares that don't lock down.
They'll close shut on an animal but not lethally.
When the animal relaxes, so does the tightness of the cable restraint.
Sort of like a choke-chain on a dog.

You can Google the words and get tons of info on "how" to use them.
Trying to explain the methods and techniques are nearly impossible
without visual aids.

Cats won't jump unless they have to. If they can fit their head
through an opening.....they can get the rest of their body through it.
You'd be amazed at the tight places they can wiggle through.

grumpy.<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:29 pm __________<br /><br />
Kyle@theHeathertoft":1u9s6otw said:
WELL DONE Grumpy!!!! :D Not everyone can trap or shoot a nuisance predator...kudos for being just that skilled!!!! :D

I too wonder, what do you do with them? If you were to salt a raw bobcat pelt, would you consider selling or trading it away? :mrgreen:

I scrape the excess fat off of the hide and put it on a stretcher.
Using salt would ruin a pelt for "me". They've got to be dried and stretched.
Buyers ship them all over the world. Russia and China are two of
the major buyers of international wild furs.

What I sell is called "finished-fur".
Some sell "raw" fur...meaning the skin's been frozen and thawed just before sale.
"In the round" means the skin is still on the carcass.
And sold that way for a much lower price than "finished-fur".

grumpy.

Mary Ann's Rabbitry":1dd1seop said:
so grumpy,,, all you do is flesh the hide and stretch and leave to dry... nothing else.

Yes Ma'am.

When done properly, a dried and stretched pelt will last a long time.
These 'finished-furs' are sold at auction to buyers that come from all over the world.
Once purchased, the furs are then transported overseas to be
tanned and used for all sorts of clothing.

This is a multi-billion dollar, worldwide industry.

Now, if I so choose, I can send my finished fur to one of several tanneries
located in the United States. These are the tanneries that 'garment-tan' pelts of all varieties.
These furs are 'luxurious' when tanned with this method.
For lack of a better analogy, they feel truly 'sensual'.
The 'feel' and the 'texture' of these are nearly indescribable.

I've taken extra large, garment-tanned, beaver pelts and given them as
Christmas gifts to loved ones and friends. They are always a big-hit!

Grumpy.

Yes Ma'am.

When done properly, a dried and stretched pelt will last a long time.
These 'finished-furs' are sold at auction to buyers that come from all over the world.
Once purchased, the furs are then transported overseas to be
tanned and used for all sorts of clothing.

This is a multi-billion dollar, worldwide industry.

Now, if I so choose, I can send my finished fur to one of several tanneries
located in the United States. These are the tanneries that 'garment-tan' pelts of all varieties.
These furs are 'luxurious' when tanned with this method.
For lack of a better analogy, they feel truly 'sensual'.
The 'feel' and the 'texture' of these are nearly indescribable.

I've taken extra large, garment-tanned, beaver pelts and given them as
Christmas gifts to loved ones and friends. They are always a big-hit!

Grumpy.

How come I have to do mine different.. I have to use alum and salt in water for days, then rinse .. when almost dry.. I have to stretch till white ,, then oil.. yours sound so much easier.. yours have the fur on right?

MaryAnn, he is just drying the pelts, not tanning them. He sells them "raw and unfinished" and then they are sent to a tannery for the final steps.

Very interesting Grumpy! I googled "cable restraints". Those look like they would be a great idea for our place. We've had bobcat, coyotes and fox as well as coons and possums after my daughters chickens. They rarely bother the rabbits much to my daughters aggrivation and my surprize! LOL I've had a rabbit loose for a week now and nothing has gotten him. I hope I can catch little brat soon! LOL He's a crafty lil devil!!! :twisted: and he's red too! :lol:
Anyway was just wondering if you make your restraints or buy them. I found a site called The Snare Shop.com that was interesting.
They looked like they were easy enough to make. Haven't found instructions for making one yet. I was trying to find out if they were ok to use here but no luck on that yet. :)

AmysMacdog":egsdvza6 said:
Very interesting Grumpy! I googled "cable restraints". Those look like they would be a great idea for our place. We've had bobcat, coyotes and fox as well as coons and possums after my daughters chickens. They rarely bother the rabbits much to my daughters aggrivation and my surprize! LOL I've had a rabbit loose for a week now and nothing has gotten him. I hope I can catch little brat soon! LOL He's a crafty lil devil!!! :twisted: and he's red too! :lol:
Anyway was just wondering if you make your restraints or buy them. I found a site called The Snare Shop.com that was interesting.
I buy all of my restraints....I do have the materials to make them though. These are a 'specialty' item in my bag of tricks and are
only used when an animal becomes 'educated' or 'trap-shy'. They
can't seem understand what the restraints are and don't shy away from them.

They looked like they were easy enough to make. Haven't found instructions for making one yet. I was trying to find out if they were ok to use here but no luck on that yet. :)
As far as being 'okay' to use, I would suspect you've got the ability
to protect livestock, person, or property when it comes to nuisance
animals in your wildlife code. AND, you aren't required to be licensed
since it's on your own property. Check it out first to be sure. Game Law
violations are extremely expensive. I mean.....A TON OF MONEY!

Garment tanning is an advanced principle of the home-style tanning
True...it's much more involved and takes a good amount your time and
not just a little cash to have pelts done in this fashion.
But...the results are truly amazing.

Those furs come to you with the leather as soft as a baby's behind.
And the fur is sparkling clean and fresh.

Grumpy.

grumpy":3l6iri3u said:
Use a relaxing cable restraint....and guard the gap with it.
Cable restraints are basically snares that don't lock down.
They'll close shut on an animal but not lethally.
When the animal relaxes, so does the tightness of the cable restraint.
Sort of like a choke-chain on a dog.

You can Google the words and get tons of info on "how" to use them.
Trying to explain the methods and techniques are nearly impossible
without visual aids.

Cats won't jump unless they have to. If they can fit their head
through an opening.....they can get the rest of their body through it.
You'd be amazed at the tight places they can wiggle through.

grumpy.

Thanks for the info! I'm passing it along to my Pastor and his son. Pastor is sore afraid it is a bobcat--afraid I'll go out one night and come face to face with it.

Thanks for the info! I'm passing it along to my Pastor and his son. Pastor is so afraid it is a bobcat--afraid I'll go out one night and come face to face with it.

LOL.... :x I don't want to alarm you....BUT!

A bobcat is the "only" animal that will "meet" you
when you walk up to it. I am always extremely cautious
whenever I have one in a foothold.
They will lunge at you and try to get to you.

Makes the "teeny-hairs" stand up on the back of your neck. :x
I always..."go-potty" before I run my predator line.

Grumpy.

Back