Stumped on kit color (still, new pics on page 3)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
I know it'll become obvious when it gets older, but gosh, I wanna know now!
Does this little guy look like a lilac or aaaaaa something or other, like a smoke pearl or something? Finding smoke pearl kits for reference seems easier said than done. :?
Dam: aa B_ Ccchl D_ E_ but she could be aa Bb Cc Dd Ee
Sire: aa bb C_ Dd E_ but could be aa bb Cc Dd Ee

The photos make its body color look like fool's gold, but it looks more lilac-y in person to me, with the blueish ears and face.

Attachments

• IMG_3922.jpg
    IMG_3922.jpg
    178.4 KB · Views: 2,090
  • IMG_3915.jpg
    IMG_3915.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 2,090
  • IMG_3913.jpg
    IMG_3913.jpg
    279.2 KB · Views: 2,090
not a Smoked Pearl. Smoked Pearl look pure blue as kits then get their shading later.

this one look like a steel agouti sable to me

here are some pictures of the kits I had that were steel agouti sable (on the right)

nesting_box_by_trickster_of_asgard-d62527x.jpg

other stages and color changes for Steel Agouti Sable:

he_s_doing_it_again_____by_trickster_of_asgard-d6phihd.jpg

I'm ruling out A_'s though 'cause these rabbits are from self lines. I've dug around pretty deep on them, and agouti was nowhere to be seen.

Nyctra":o8sf51p8 said:
I'm ruling out A_'s though 'cause these rabbits are from self lines. I've dug around pretty deep on them, and agouti was nowhere to be seen.

are you sure your doe isn't a GTS?

it doesn't look like a normal tort to me but it's obviously shaded. guess well have to see when it gets older :good-luck:

I don't think it is black sable as they tend to have slightly darker points even as kits and I'm pretty certain it is not a blue sable / smoke pearl

But time will tell ;)

If it is a lilac the black dam must carry chocolate AND blue and the chocolate buck must carry blue and you should have gotten

37.5% black

37.5% chocolate

12.5% blue

12.5% lilac

So the statistics are not in your favour and a bluish chocolate is more likely

Dood":2luxdujz said:
If it is a lilac the black dam must carry chocolate AND blue and the chocolate buck must carry blue and you should have gotten
So the statistics are not in your favour and a bluish chocolate is more likely
Looks too light to be a chocolate, though? :shock:
The chocolate buck's dam was a lilac.
The black doe's dam was a sable from sable/pearl line.
The buck and doe share a sire, who has has thrown black, chocolate, dilute, tort, and REW.

Celice":2luxdujz said:
are you sure your doe isn't a GTS?

it doesn't look like a normal tort to me but it's obviously shaded. guess well have to see when it gets older :good-luck:
I believe supersteeling to be highly unlikely. Like I said, I snooped around quite a bit and never saw a hint of steel or agouti. I suppose she could be carrying it, but it would be hiding because she's a non-agouti.

I wonder if it could it be just a blue tort without a real strong telltale flank pattern...and a really washed-out body color? :? In theory, I believe Ese would result in a tort more on the self side?
*flashes the Zass signal at the sky* :bunnyhop: Come, Zass, and share with us your vast knowledge of the curse. lol

It's a dim cloudy day, but I got some more pics of him outside. These show his real color pretty good.
I'm not even sure how to describe the body color, but it doesn't look so "lilac-y" outside now. :shock:

Attachments

• IMG_3927.jpg
    IMG_3927.jpg
    198.9 KB · Views: 2,052
  • IMG_3940.jpg
    IMG_3940.jpg
    207 KB · Views: 2,052
  • IMG_3942.jpg
    IMG_3942.jpg
    191.6 KB · Views: 2,052
  • IMG_3762.jpg
    IMG_3762.jpg
    235 KB · Views: 2,052
*flashes the Zass signal at the sky* :bunnyhop: Come, Zass, and share with us your vast knowledge of the curse. lol

:rotfl:

A Ese usually looks like a lightly ticked steel or all the way self, BUT...I did have an Ese kit once with some odd ticking (goes digging for photo...)

__________ Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:21 pm __________

Here he is, out of a tort doe and a non-extension carrying, silver tipped steel buck. Both black based.

Aa B_ C_ D_ Ese ...probably...

Attachments

• Ese steel.jpg
    Ese steel.jpg
    147.6 KB · Views: 2,047
Yeah, that's the baby I was hoping to see! lol
Still, I wonder how it would affect non-agouti. :?

This baby needs to hurry up and get furrier. lol

You mean if it were genetically aa B_ C_ D_ Ese? I had always thought it would still just look like a self, and both non-extension and steel would be invisible..

But it's actually hard to say that with confidence while looking at that weird kit I posted. :?

__________ Tue Feb 03, 2015 9:49 pm __________

That kit grew up to look more like a normal steel. It's one of the ones in this pic. (Bottom left) I can still tell it apart from the heavily ticked steels by it's darker ears.

Those other steels are actually from a totally unrelated pairing. All the non extension kits are from the same litter though, and the presence of the (very poorly marked) broken tort next to him tells me that the pairing was able to produce aa kits.

( the non-extension, broken, and one fuzzy black on the right are all 1/2 French Angora, 1/2 I don't know what-but he was pretty and threw fun colors. The rest are from a black New Zealand to NZ/FG cross pair)

__________ Tue Feb 03, 2015 10:02 pm __________

I think from now on, I'll just breed harlequins.
They CAN'T have steel.

Attachments

• bun (2).JPG
    bun (2).JPG
    484.9 KB · Views: 2,030
Zass, that flower has some funny looking petals. <br /><br /> __________ Tue Feb 03, 2015 7:07 pm __________ <br /><br /> Also, you aren't out of the woods even with Harlie...because harlequinized steel possible. LOL Unless you mean the breed.

But I thought you were working on colored buns with a silver fox coat?
I tried to find a pic of a really dang UGLY steel harlie rex I'd found by chance once...but I can't find it. oh well. xD

Yeah, I am, but not exclusively. I'll have those mutt lines steel free by this time next year for sure. Don't know what I'm going to do with em though, since I have no intention of trying to make a breed out of it. They are just for fun.

I've been wanting a breed to take to shows on occasion too.
We were trying to work the velveteens in that direction, but the health issues are really too much for me.
Harlis seem fun and frustrating enough to hold my attention.

Lilac steel harli rex?? :shock: That would be interesting to see.

It was black-based, but lilac could probably make it even uglier. XD
I wonder, are there contests for ugliest rabbit at rabbit shows? LOL

Nyctra":1a3l924j said:
It was black-based, but lilac could probably make it even uglier. XD
I wonder, are there contests for ugliest rabbit at rabbit shows? LOL

Dunno where I got lilac from :roll: must have been a long day.

Ugliest rabbit competitions? No way :p

I wouldn't even trust breeders to restrain themselves from creating the rabbit equivalent of Chinese crested dogs, all with malocclusion, of course...

Ugliest COLOR, I should say...with good feet and teeth and health...

My husband said blue tint. I said it looks kind of brown. Then we agreed the outdoor pics looked blue. I think you did something screwy with the c locus. Could you have a seal? chl from both parents?

Dam's from cchlc and Cc (sable doe and a black buck carrying REW)
Sire is from CC and Cc (I was given the colors the lilac dam threw in his litter and saw no REW, and I know the sire has thrown REWs.)

Back