screen names

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ollitos

Reaction score
What is the significance of your screen name?

Ollitos is Spanish for dimples and/or potholes in the road. It's pronounced oh-yee'-toes. It was a nickname given to me in high school on a trip to Mexico. I have pretty deep dimples so everyone started calling me Potholes after that. Nice. I usually use 'rubia' or 'rubicita' for my screen names but decided to be different here. I have no idea why.

My username on the forum is an amalgam. :)

My name is Kyle. :)

The Heathertoft is the name of my rabbitry and will eventually be the name of my future hobby farm/homestead. I chose the name because growing up, the best memories of my childhood were at a place known as the Heather House (so named for Heather's Run, a ski hill at Boyne Highlands in Michigan here) and the suffix "toft" designates a homestead. :)

Until I have land, I deem wherever I live to be the de facto Heathertoft. ;)

So...I am Kyle, at the Heathertoft. Or, Kyle@theHeathertoft. :D

Okay: I'll jump in.

13 years ago, I had the bright idea of opening a bait and tackle store. I live very near the north end of Smithville Lake a large man-made reservior about 20 minutes north of Kansas City, Missouri.

I live on a major east-west highway within a Mile of Plattsburg, Missouri. Anyway....the local bait shop had closed down a couple of years prior. (That should have been a major clue!) BUT!--I have to admit, their location was not very good.

Contacted the zoning commissioner and had no problems getting a variance for the business right here on my own property. I remodeled an old building and added a large room with it. Got my application for the Tax-ID number and was beginning to fill it out, when I told my wife. "I've already got the name figured out."

She asked. "Well, what are gonna call it?"

My reply was, "What have you called me all-l-l-l-l of these years?"

In shock, she sputtered. "You CAN"T put Grumpy Old Ba#####D on the sign!!"

I smiled and said. "Nope...But I can put Grumpy's on it." The name was catchy...and it's stuck with me all of these years.

Go into Plattsburg, Missouri and ask anyone, "Where does Grumpy live?" They'll point you in the right direction.

With the downturn in the economy a few years ago, I had to close the shop. I just wasn't making enough money to justify the amount of hours I was spending out there. It was a blast, while it lasted. Each year I'd have a "Catfish-Contest" and area merchants would supply prizes and monies for the winners. The last contest, we gave away over $5000.00 in cash and prizes to our winners. I had a few over 400 people sign up for the contest. It was all free...everything was donated by the community and myself.

Here's a pic of part of the inside. I took the two big bucks in the middle, ten days apart. One with my bow...and the other with my rifle. Both made Missouri Big Bucks. The archery buck, the one on the right, qualified for Pope and Young. I got them both right out behind the barn.
thewall.jpg

Here's some pics of the fish that were entered. Chris on the left and Drew on the right. They woke me up about two o-clock in the morning for this fish. I told them. "It had better be a good one!" It was.
scan-3.jpg

scan0003-1.jpg

This was that year's winner: It weighed a shade over 60 pounds.
60pounder.jpg

The one on the right weighed 56 pounds. I had a lot of fun and made many good friends over the years.
56pounder.jpg

Grumpy.

So when I call you Olli, it's Oh-yee, not All-ee? :shock:

Oy vey! :x

I'm MamaSheepdog because I believe there are three basic personalities in people;

The sheep, who follow the herd and are blissfully unaware of danger.
The wolves, who prey upon them...
And the sheepdogs who protect and defend.

I'll do my best to shepherd "the herd", but they are secondary to my family. I'm a MamaSheepdog because nothing will get my hackles to raise faster than someone trying to harm my "pups"- physically or politically.

ollitos":1aujkef8 said:
What is the significance of your screen name?

Ollitos is Spanish for dimples and/or potholes in the road. It's pronounced oh-yee'-toes. It was a nickname given to me in high school on a trip to Mexico. I have pretty deep dimples so everyone started calling me Potholes after that. Nice. I usually use 'rubia' or 'rubicita' for my screen names but decided to be different here. I have no idea why.

I was wondering.

Well I was feeling particularly sorry for myself, that my life was not turning out the way I had planned (who's life does?), not particularly successful at anything, when I found this rabbit site. Usually my screen names are all the same, but as I was thinking about it, the words of an old gospel song came to me--the sky is the limit to what I can have, just believe it and receive it--- and I thought about how much enjoyment my buns have brought to me, and I realized the sky is the limit, I can make this into what ever I believe, I can take this as far as I want, if I am only willing to believe in myself, and receive the simple joy these creatures bring.

Well, I called my rabbitry One Acre Farm because our little slice of land is exactly one acre...and I want to see what I can raise on my small piece of heaven!

grumpy":26bcoh7s said:
Okay: I'll jump in.

13 years ago, I had the bright idea of opening a bait and tackle store. I live very near the north end of Smithville Lake a large man-made reservior about 20 minutes north of Kansas City, Missouri.

I live on a major east-west highway within a Mile of Plattsburg, Missouri. Anyway....the local bait shop had closed down a couple of years prior. (That should have been a major clue!) BUT!--I have to admit, their location was not very good.

Contacted the zoning commissioner and had no problems getting a variance for the business right here on my own property. I remodeled an old building and added a large room with it. Got my application for the Tax-ID number and was beginning to fill it out, when I told my wife. "I've already got the name figured out."

She asked. "Well, what are gonna call it?"

My reply was, "What have you called me all-l-l-l-l of these years?"

In shock, she sputtered. "You CAN"T put Grumpy Old Ba#####D on the sign!!"

I smiled and said. "Nope...But I can put Grumpy's on it." The name was catchy...and it's stuck with me all of these years.

Go into Plattsburg, Missouri and ask anyone, "Where does Grumpy live?" They'll point you in the right direction.

With the downturn in the economy a few years ago, I had to close the shop. I just wasn't making enough money to justify the amount of hours I was spending out there. It was a blast, while it lasted. Each year I'd have a "Catfish-Contest" and area merchants would supply prizes and monies for the winners. The last contest, we gave away over $5000.00 in cash and prizes to our winners. I had a few over 400 people sign up for the contest. It was all free...everything was donated by the community and myself.

Here's a pic of part of the inside. I took the two big bucks in the middle, ten days apart. One with my bow...and the other with my rifle. Both made Missouri Big Bucks. The archery buck, the one on the right, qualified for Pope and Young. I got them both right out behind the barn.

Wow! Talk about fish stories!

My husband, Shay, gave me my screen name. We don't use real names online except when absolutely necessary. "Shay" is his online nickname, in the forums he belongs to.

He began referring to me as "Miss M" whenever he spoke of me online. I liked it... I thought it sounded like a character out of the James Bond movies. Actually, I think there was a character named "M", and I know there was one named "Q".

So I thought it was fun and playfully mysterious, and I adopted it. :D<br /><br />__________ Fri Jun 08, 2012 11:44 pm __________<br /><br />
skysthelimit":2pfb1on0 said:
Wow! Talk about fish stories!
Yeah, but he's got all the pictures to back 'em up! :lol:

My screen name came from my Boxer. She's the third dog in the house & her name is Mina. She's my first show dog & her breeders acreage is where my rabbitry is.

My screen name just states the obvious!! :lol:

My rabbitry name is Raso Conigli Farm. Raso Conigli in Italian translates to "Satin Rabbit".

As you guys can tell, I'm a little partial to Satins.

And Billy,
just what is it that could possibly
make you partial to Satins?
Just what is the attraction,
somehow I just don't get it! :encourage: :twisted:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Mine is a branch of my 'farm' name-- Frosted Acres. I am an environmental 'nut', so to speak, and I always enjoyed robert Frost poems. And he, by the way, was instrumental in much of the early environmemtal legislation from way back when--

No, I am not anti-ag, but I am pro 'good stewardship', responsible farming, whatever one wants to call it

I was directed to this video a few days ago-- fantastic!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bw7mQZHfFVE
Just LOOK at all the bunny food!

ottersatin":38dlqpy3 said:
And Billy,
just what is it that could possibly
make you partial to Satins?
Just what is the attraction,
somehow I just don't get it! :encourage: :twisted:
Ottersatin. :eek:ldtimer:

Only thing I can think of is their toenail color. :lol:

Owls are my totem animal....as a counselor, I need to be able to navigate the dark side of human nature. And I like the idea of someone looking after me who can see behind my back

Thats interesting Honorine, I have a rose growing at work that looks very close to that one but its not striped, been there as long as i can remember , i suspect its been there since the fourtys ,and it smells divine.

I like this thread. Thanks for starting it, Olli. I studied Spanish a lot as a younger person, and growing up in Florida, had many friends with whom to practice it. But it has faded over the years in my mind. I appreciated learning the word for dimple!

Grumpy, I liked your fish pictures a great deal. Looks like your bait store was the hub of some right fine times for folks.

As for me, I'm a beekeeper-in-training (honey) and my given name is Teresa (tree). I have two competing visions of a wonderful life: one in which I keep bees and rabbits and chickens and a huge garden and maybe a few little goats, and one in which I travel half the year, seeing National Parks and museums and small towns and big cities and taking pictures and meeting new people. When I signed up for this site, I was leaning toward the former and had just started researching rabbit keeping in earnest, but since then circumstances have brought more of the latter into my life--lots of extended traveling, which is one reason I haven't actually gotten my rabbits yet. :blush:

6 Rivers Farms is the name of my fledging small farm. It is named 6 Rivers because there are 6 rivers some small and some not so much ( Mississippi River) within easy driving distance of my home and I try to spend as much time on them or in close proximity to there abundance as i can. I am most particular to the Boeuf and Tensas because I live on one and my families roots lie on the other. Not to mention they both have pretty sizable game management areas associated with them and I can think of no better way to spend my time than chasing whitetail bucks and tom turkeys on them.

Latest posts

Back