Something Bad is About to Happen...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Susie570":36gtk4t8 said:
.... I would literally rather die than live my life in that constant nightmare of paranoia and fear - but I truly believe the likelihood of some cataclysmic event is very unlikely.

. It's when daily life slips into constant worry of survival, fear of surveillance, the feeling of being personally targeted by 'them' that it becomes a dark, dangerous and mentally ill thing.

I can only speak for myself. Trust me, "no nightmare of paranoia and fear" for me!

"Mentally ill", huh. I certainly hope that being aware of the reality that our gov't is an out-of-control monster and that evil exists and is advancing every day, doesn't make me mentally ill but, you're entitled to your opinion. Oh well, my 4 favorite words are still I Told You So.

I don't think that Suzie was trying to imply that we are all nut cases, just that there is a healthy balance in everything. Being in a constant state of stress is not healthy for anyone.

Having lots of food and other goods stored makes me feel safe and prepared. We live 50 miles away from a grocery store, so it isn't like we can just up and go buy a loaf of bread on a whim.

Several years ago we had a severe storm about a week before Christmas. As luck would have it, we had planned on buying our turkey and finishing up last minute shopping a few days prior to the big day. Well, the canyon was impassable due to rock slides and fallen trees.

Finally, on Christmas Eve, the only other alternate route to town (which adds another 20 miles or so to the trip) was cleared and we were able to get to town.

It wouldn't have been the end of the world to not get those last gifts and the turkey, but it really brought home to us that the minute you are NOT prepared, Ol' Murphy steps up to the plate and reminds you that you had better be.

After 08 my family just started phasing into a lifestyle of awareness and greater self sufficiency.

I've studied herbal medicines and edible wild plants my whole life and already had cozy herb garden, so some degree of confidence was already in place there. We keep basic medical supplies on hand and know how to use them on both humans and animals if necessary.

Some slightly larger purchases were made, hunting rifles and the huge All American brand pressure canner that I LOVE.
But mostly, a lot of re-skilling went on.

My husband and I learned to hunt, and dress our game. We learned to raise animals, process them, and store the meat without refrigeration. We can a LOT.

I taught myself how to process our own pelts or hides, both with quality chemicals for high end sales and with whatever was laying around to make very barterable leather and furs.

Actually, barter has already become a large part of our lives. We've traded protein sources a few times (rabbit for eggs, etc) and labor (processing chickens for a nice little 177 caliber air rifle) just this summer.

We learned to garden, grow food, and store that too. Also, which plants thrived in our area VS which ones did not, and to compost our scraps and adjust soil ph as needed.

We have been learning to forage feed, and to raise insects for the birds, as well as discovering which scraps are best fed to which livestock. To balance nutrients and form complete proteins in livestock feed.

We had to re-learn to cook with all these new foods that the modern recipes were not really suitable for. :lol:

Hmm... I can say is that my quality of life has increased dramatically, and my insecurity has diminished quite a bit. We certainly eat healthier!!

I feel like more of a complete person than I was... Less dependent and more of an adult. That impending doom feeling is gone, replaced by a "Come what may, we'll do our best," sort of feeling.

Only a few small things to add: Zass tapped on foraging & learning wild edibles. That's a skill that is useful, whether fir prepping, being environmentally aware, frugality, or just to preserve knowledge that was once common place but is now being lost. Also, women's hygiene: cups are another option. Even if you don't set aside for lean times, these can be great--especially if you have a sensitivity to fragrances or bleaches or other blech that can be put in some products.
This is one of many sites that compare brands-skip this if you don't want to ger into "girl stuff".
http://theecofriendlyfamily.com/2012/04 ... ht-for-you

the reluctant farmer":30a4wypf said:
Only a few small things to add: Zass tapped on foraging & learning wild edibles. That's a skill that is useful, whether fir prepping, being environmentally aware, frugality, or just to preserve knowledge that was once common place but is now being lost. Also, women's hygiene: cups are another option. Even if you don't set aside for lean times, these can be great--especially if you have a sensitivity to fragrances or bleaches or other blech that can be put in some products.
This is one of many sites that compare brands-skip this if you don't want to ger into "girl stuff".
I agree 100%. Didn't mention it specifically b/c usually (as in, with the few people IRL I have talked to about it) I get "eeeewww!" and this is a site with mixed company so I wasn't sure - but for those who suffer from the painful side of their cycle (aka, cramps), switching to reusable options can actually help alieve (blanking on how to spell that word for some reason) some of those symptoms.

heritage":2fb3h310 said:
I do feel like I need to have something in place for my children. Living out in the country natural disasters (hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, etc.) have been known to knock out power and utilities for weeks on end. I want to have something in place for that time.....

Like Susie, I don't want to live life with impending doom, but I do want to be able to keep my family alive if there ever comes a time that it's necessary. Even if it's job loss and/or a severe cut in income. Having backed food would help stretch things for a while. I hate not knowing how to do even simple things for myself. That's what I want to get back to (and I have learned a lot the last 5 years or so). I do think something is brewing... not sure how big or small it's going to be.

I don't know... I think shows like the Walking Dead are making things that much more hyped up (not that I have ever seen it), but it can't hurt to have some form of plan in place.

I think you have a very sensible attitude and yeah, those prepper sites can make a person nuts. :x

__________ Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:26 pm __________

katiebear":2fb3h310 said:
Suzie, I was not trying to offend you,And I am truly sorry that I did.
My point although I failed to make it, was that a lot of folks..haven't even got food for a week...nor water or a source for such things should transportation become impossible.Like a natural (solar flare) or man made (E.M.P.) interruption of the electrical grid.Or in the case of flood,fire or any such thing.
I am truly sorry that you were involved with a mentally ill man. But now knowing just what this type of person is capable of, you can and should have a better, almost 6th sense of what to do and whom to avoid
.When anyone takes anything to the extreme it is a cult, an idol if you will..this is not healthy..That is the very thing that kept me from belief in a creator and a savior...too many Jim Jones, or David Koresh types.The extreme preppers can be just as bad, with the paranoia and single mindedness that drives them into isolation.,and a slow decent into total madness...
I have never met you but I can tell you here just how much I respect you, You are intelligent, strong and very capable. To be a single mom and a business owner takes a lot of drive and a lot of guts..You my cyber friend are truly a woman of courage and a force to be reckoned with. :)

Thank you, that's very sweet of you and I appreciate it. No worries, you didn't offend me at all, it just got me tweaked after reading the thread and I had to go off on my survivalist/prepper vent.

I don't, by any means, think that everyone who preps is a nutcase, I've just known too many who ARE. My boyfriend likes to watch those shows, sometimes, about like... those extreme prepper reality shows. Ugh. They just make my skin crawl. Sometimes I'm able to find humor in them though.

__________ Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:29 pm __________

MamaSheepdog":2fb3h310 said:
I don't think that Suzie was trying to imply that we are all nut cases, just that there is a healthy balance in everything. Being in a constant state of stress is not healthy for anyone.

Yup, exactly. <br /><br /> __________ Sat Aug 22, 2015 11:32 pm __________ <br /><br />
the reluctant farmer":2fb3h310 said:

I have used a Luna cup for the last couple of years. It rocks. One of those ' why didn't I do this sooner?' things. ;)

Susie570":1nne7ad7 said:
I don't, by any means, think that everyone who preps is a nutcase, I've just known too many who ARE. My boyfriend likes to watch those shows, sometimes, about like... those extreme prepper reality shows. Ugh. They just make my skin crawl. Sometimes I'm able to find humor in them though.
I've never watched those shows, but from what I've read of them it seems like the producers go out of their way to make the people they feature seem as extreme as possible. I've read that people who may be a tad more prepping-oriented than any of us is end up looking like total loonies through the magic of editing and the manipulation of questions. You know how you can be asked a question to which there is no right answer (e.g., "Have you stopped beating your wife?"). These people get asked manipulative questions, they answer without realizing how their answer sounds, etc. Not that all of it is that way, I'm sure some of them actually are pretty nuts.

Unfortunately, featuring the nuts (and making the non-nuts look nuts) serves to make anybody who wants to grow their own food and protect their families from the most common sorts of crimes look like nuts, too. Which is probably exactly what the media wants to do... just like the bullies in school, they marginalize and make fun of people who are different and who think for themselves.

From what I've read on RT, people here who are concerned about preparedness are not trying to build bunkers and fortresses from which they can wage their own private war against the entire US military. They're just trying to get to a level of preparedness which, as MSD pointed out, used to be normal until very recently. Most of us had great-grandparents who canned everything in sight, and had at least a year's stash of shelf-stable food and a root cellar full of cabbages, beets, apples, carrots, and potatoes.

As I said in the sidebar of my old blog:

Look... People think that those who talk about emergency preparedness are paranoid loonies. What they don't realize is that you don't have to believe that society as a whole will break down in order to have a reason to prepare. You just have to believe that at some point, some life-disrupting event might occur. Like a hurricane. An earthquake. A tornado that takes out the local grocery store. A job loss. Standing in the blistering sun in a FEMA line is not the best you can do. Why not have extra put aside, stored away against hard times? Our grandparents and great-grandparents used to do this. They'd be the first to tell you that it isn't crazy talk.

Unlike our great-grandparents, though, we have some additional issues to deal with these days. The surveillance, the attacks on the Bill of Rights, the attempts to nullify parents.

I'm sorry this thread has made you uncomfortable, Suzie... and with your experience, I can certainly understand how it would. I doubt that anyone participating in this thread is in prepper mode all the time, like your ex. Like you, we're seeing some disturbing signs, and realizing that we do not have the skills to weather adverse situations like our great-grandparents could. My great-grandmother would be in full "can everything and what do you mean you don't have a root cellar" mode. But she would be proud that I've learned to sew (though I'm nowhere near her skill), I'm learning to can (though I've just started in that department), I can make bread from scratch, I have my own laying hens and meat rabbits, and I'm learning to garden. My great-grandfather would be perplexed and hastily remedying the fact that my son has never learned to hunt.

When we were still living in an apartment, we had prepared enough that when a hurricane came through and cut us off from the mainland (we were on a peninsula) and downed our power for a week (we were the lucky ones), we were ready. We had a Coleman stove and fuel, and plenty of canned food (in rollaway bins under the beds) and disposable plates, utensils, etc. We also had a big washtub. Didn't have a washboard, though, but that changed very quickly after the storm. We had a plan in place, too. We lived too close to the coast to stay, so we emptied and wiped the refrigerator, leaving it open, filled the chest freezer almost all the way with zipper bags of water and turned it to super-freeze, switched all the breakers off except the one to the chest freezer, and evacuated. When we got back, with the power off, we turned off the freezer breaker and wrapped the freezer in a comforter. It all worked very well.

Unlike then, when we lived just off a major highway, we now live in the middle of nowhere. Even if we didn't want to prepare for other issues, that in itself is enough reason to do some prepping. With our well hand pump, our stored food, our rabbits and chickens, our grill, and our fuel and generator, we could make it for months without power (with wise use of the generator). Not that it would be fun, but we could do it. And out here, it's entirely possible that we would have to go an extended time without power at some point.

It's a great stress reliever to look at that hand pump and all of our stored food and know that we could make it through. :)

Miss M":vkhxmgka said:
Susie570":vkhxmgka said:
I've never watched those shows, but from what I've read of them it seems like the producers go out of their way to make the people they feature seem as extreme as possible. I've read that people who may be a tad more prepping-oriented than any of us is end up looking like total loonies through the magic of editing and the manipulation of questions. You know how you can be asked a question to which there is no right answer (e.g., "Have you stopped beating your wife?"). These people get asked manipulative questions, they answer without realizing how their answer sounds, etc. Not that all of it is that way, I'm sure some of them actually are pretty nuts.

Unfortunately, featuring the nuts (and making the non-nuts look nuts) serves to make anybody who wants to grow their own food and protect their families from the most common sorts of crimes look like nuts, too. Which is probably exactly what the media wants to do... just like the bullies in school, they marginalize and make fun of people who are different and who think for themselves.

From what I've read on RT, people here who are concerned about preparedness are not trying to build bunkers and fortresses from which they can wage their own private war against the entire US military. They're just trying to get to a level of preparedness which, as MSD pointed out, used to be normal until very recently. Most of us had great-grandparents who canned everything in sight, and had at least a year's stash of shelf-stable food and a root cellar full of cabbages, beets, apples, carrots, and potatoes.

As I said in the sidebar of my old blog:

Look... People think that those who talk about emergency preparedness are paranoid loonies. What they don't realize is that you don't have to believe that society as a whole will break down in order to have a reason to prepare. You just have to believe that at some point, some life-disrupting event might occur. Like a hurricane. An earthquake. A tornado that takes out the local grocery store. A job loss. Standing in the blistering sun in a FEMA line is not the best you can do. Why not have extra put aside, stored away against hard times? Our grandparents and great-grandparents used to do this. They'd be the first to tell you that it isn't crazy talk.

Unlike our great-grandparents, though, we have some additional issues to deal with these days. The surveillance, the attacks on the Bill of Rights, the attempts to nullify parents.

I'm sorry this thread has made you uncomfortable, Suzie... and with your experience, I can certainly understand how it would. I doubt that anyone participating in this thread is in prepper mode all the time, like your ex. Like you, we're seeing some disturbing signs, and realizing that we do not have the skills to weather adverse situations like our great-grandparents could. My great-grandmother would be in full "can everything and what do you mean you don't have a root cellar" mode. But she would be proud that I've learned to sew (though I'm nowhere near her skill), I'm learning to can (though I've just started in that department), I can make bread from scratch, I have my own laying hens and meat rabbits, and I'm learning to garden. My great-grandfather would be perplexed and hastily remedying the fact that my son has never learned to hunt.

When we were still living in an apartment, we had prepared enough that when a hurricane came through and cut us off from the mainland (we were on a peninsula) and downed our power for a week (we were the lucky ones), we were ready. We had a Coleman stove and fuel, and plenty of canned food (in rollaway bins under the beds) and disposable plates, utensils, etc. We also had a big washtub. Didn't have a washboard, though, but that changed very quickly after the storm. We had a plan in place, too. We lived too close to the coast to stay, so we emptied and wiped the refrigerator, leaving it open, filled the chest freezer almost all the way with zipper bags of water and turned it to super-freeze, switched all the breakers off except the one to the chest freezer, and evacuated. When we got back, with the power off, we turned off the freezer breaker and wrapped the freezer in a comforter. It all worked very well.

Unlike then, when we lived just off a major highway, we now live in the middle of nowhere. Even if we didn't want to prepare for other issues, that in itself is enough reason to do some prepping. With our well hand pump, our stored food, our rabbits and chickens, our grill, and our fuel and generator, we could make it for months without power (with wise use of the generator). Not that it would be fun, but we could do it. And out here, it's entirely possible that we would have to go an extended time without power at some point.

It's a great stress reliever to look at that hand pump and all of our stored food and know that we could make it through. :)

exactly... great post..

Miss M":2ae1avcq said:
I've never watched those shows, but from what I've read of them it seems like the producers go out of their way to make the people they feature seem as extreme as possible. I've read that people who may be a tad more prepping-oriented than any of us is end up looking like total loonies through the magic of editing and the manipulation of questions.

Right, I understand what you mean and there is certainly nothing wrong with, at the least, taking the basic precautions our grandparents took as a matter of basic survival in those days, preserving lost skills and such.

The 'prepper world' IS full of crazies though. It's not difficult to find them. Just do some browsing around online. You'll see the forums, the shopping sites catering to paranoid folks (some really cool stuff sometimes though). I was introduced to the whole underbelly of crazy by the experience with the ex, mostly because he wanted to promote the book he was trying to write.

I always take it as a big warning flag if people start popping out 'the lingo'. From an article: "Like 12-steppers or model-train enthusiasts, preppers have their own lingo: TSHTF (the shit hits the fan) and TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) are popular, as are WROL (without rule of law), BOB (a bug-out bag, the backpack full of supplies you keep in case TSHTF and you have to GOOD—get out of Dodge). They maintain blogs like Zombie Squad, with tutorials on long-term food storage and building hidden safety rooms. They have their own idiosyncratic preoccupations: the current price of gold, insurance stability indexes, the likelihood of volcanic eruptions in Yellowstone."

These people truly do engage in activities like 'bug out drills' for the family, winch I mean... even that I could understand doing maybe once or twice, calmly talking about what the plan is in case of emergency, etc, but a lot of these folks live (and force their family to live), in a mental state of stress and unease. It's overboard. But hey, even then if it's people who truly enjoy it, who cares what they do? I feel bad for kids though and those subjected to that level of stress unwilling. :/

Gold and silver, ?
personally, I would not be interested in trading food for any of that.
but [as mentioned above] - I might be willing to trade for bleach, clothing, a good shovel, a two man saw, hand tools, or a pound of barberry root bark.

I've stayed out of this thread as I think "you're all nuts" :cheesysmile:

I just wanted to share my story;

I certainly don't consider myself or my family "preppers" - I dont know if it's because we are from a long line of farmers or what, but we were raised to reduce/re-use/recycle and to "get by on less" long before the environmental movements band wagon and we take great pride in being self sufficient - it's just our families culture/legacy :shrug:

I think a lot of people want to get back to that way of life and not because of a feeling of impending doom but because they feel that the materialistic culture cultivated in North America since WWII is toxic to family and society and the earth

I can see why you feel they way you do Susie. My reasoning for trying to 'prep' has nothing really to do with paranoia or anything like that. For me, it's mostly about being self sufficient and learning to be prepared if/ when something may happen to our food and water supply. I am not going overboard with it, I just want my grandchildren to have a better chance at survival, and the no how to live off the land if need be. My granddaughter seems to like helping me out with the garden and the rabbits so far, she's only 2 1/2 now.

Dood":32jvq3uj said:
I've stayed out of this thread as I think "you're all nuts" :cheesysmile:

I just wanted to share my story;

I certainly don't consider myself or my family "preppers" - I dont know if it's because we are from a long line of farmers or what, but we were raised to reduce/re-use/recycle and to "get by on less" long before the environmental movements band wagon and we take great pride in being self sufficient - it's just our families culture/legacy :shrug:

I think a lot of people want to get back to that way of life and not because of a feeling of impending doom but because they feel that the materialistic culture cultivated in North America since WWII is toxic to family and society and the earth

That's the lifestyle that I'm trying for as well with maybe just a little more weapons involved. There will/ may be a lot of people in trouble if something does happen and they don't know how to survive without all the electronics we have now!!

Considering that in the USA
In 2009, 24.2 percent of murder victims were slain by family members; 53.8 percent were killed by someone they knew (acquaintance, neighbor, friend, boyfriend, etc.).

And in Canada
87% solved homicides in 2013 involved a victim being killed by someone they knew, compared with 13% of victims who were killed by a stranger.

I cannot fathom the ideaology that guns prevent violence or save lives and will always support stricter gun laws

Hm, don't trust any statistic you didn't make up yourself ;) , what are the differences in drug and gang scenes?

Strict gun laws apply only to people who obey the law anyway. Here laws are quite strict, and it got worse in the last decades. Well, didn't change anything about crime, since an illegal weapon is cheap, and readily available to criminals through the growing parallel cultures where a real man just has to have a gun (no police action against that, that would be racist as it isn't a real problem, these subcultures keep their violance mostly to themself or other groups, some feuds they brought with them).
And, for example, now we have a phenomen that didn't exist before: home invasions with people getting killed.
Guns are just tools, piece of iron. Someone willing to do something will find a suitable tool, but strict gun laws deny citizen tools to protect themselfs. Also, most homocides are done with knives etc., one tool not available, simply use another. A pillow will do. Not that easy in a defense situation, so it's easier for those who come prepared.
It doesn't help to project bad things that happen on a piece of iron. Easy for populist arguments, but that doesn't have the proposed effect on real life.
Situation here is different to US or Canada, most of the criminals here come from other countries, here the state garanties them that there will be no defence, that makes an easy target. For everyone on this continent, borders are open.

[Pessimism Mode On]
But anyway, the problems I try to prepare for isn't daily crime (although I'm well armed), but that that EU thing will bring changes. There are lot's of countries with much lower standards of living, and that will be equalized, greece is not even the tip of the iceberg, our social system as we know it will collapse. It can't go on like that, people are coming here and tell you in the face that they are not so stupid to even try to work, they get more money doing nothing than they would earn where they come from. Our system was meant for a closed, stable population, and did work when economy grew, but that's over. Unemploment rates rise. Means less tax income, and with the age distribution in our society I'm pretty sure that I won't live long enough to get a old-age pension I can live of. And I'm not sure if I want to be a productive member of the society to the end of my days, feeding my livetime to a system that will swallow up everything it can get. And if I should lose my current job I doubt I will find anything again.
Read something about how high the US tax quote is, and had to laugh, we'll never again ever come close to that.

Well, ok, you get the picture.
[Pessimism Mode Off]

Since rents are rising too I bought a house with enough ground to feed me if absolutly necessary. Always wanted a place where I can settle down, living in rent meant that I had to move every 5 years (here, a rent contract can be limited for 3 years, and extended once. Then it becomes unlimited. Stupid law to protect tenants from beeing kicked out, but it has the effect that almost every landlord cancels the contract when the 6 years are over)
At my last rented apartment I started with rabbits, was a perfect situation, very old landlords who were happy someone else mowed the grass. But that wouldn't have lasted, even if my rent contract would have gone to unlimited, whoever would inherit that place would tear it down and sell the place for appartment buildings, or whatever. You can't believe how glad I am that my very simple, cheap livestyle finally enabled me to buy a house.

Well, I sure would like to see the time when we run out of oil, would be interesting. But that, or any other gross scenario will not happen in my lifetime, just a slow, constant decline to a level where humans are just optimum lifestock for the finance system or whatever bigger other nonsentient entity which cares crap for humanity defines priorities.

Hey, Dood! :) Just a few comments on your post and on the subject of firearms.

Certainly stranger murders are less frequent than murders by family members or friends and acquaintances, but we need to keep in mind that in times of civil unrest, the danger from strangers may become greater.

Twice in my life I have stood guard with a loaded gun in situations where I felt I might have the need to protect myself and my child. Fortunately, neither situation escalated and one turned out to be a false alarm. No harm done. I'm gun savvy enough to exercise extreme caution with firearms, but if necessary I would have shot an intruder in self-defense. And I do believe we should have that option if our home is invaded.

I do think hand-guns need to be controlled because they are so easily concealed by criminals, but the hoops you have to jump through nowadays here in Canada just to have a .22 or shotgun in your home are, I believe, excessive.

The situation in which MamaSheepdog's family and neighbours found themselves this summer, with an armed murdering psycho on the run in their area for two weeks inclines me to feel that guns for self-defense are probably necessary for many.

What does worry me some, however, is the fine line between being prepared for a possible threat and the aggressive attitudes that seem to sometimes accompany this. I'm not talking about here on RT, but on some prepper forums it sometimes seems like there are people just hoping it will happen. And that is scary.

I think, in general, there are cultural and historical differences between how Canadians and Americans regard firearms. Americans believe strongly in their right to bear arms. Canadians, maybe not so much. It's the American "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" versus the Canadian "Peace, Order and Good Government." (Not that our government is good, anymore, but that's another topic.)

MaggieJ":nkqrmo9d said:
The situation in which MamaSheepdog's family and neighbours found themselves this summer, with an armed murdering psycho on the run in their area for two weeks inclines me to feel that guns for self-defense are probably necessary for many.

:yeahthat:

If it can happen HERE, it can happen anywhere.

When we first started taking defensive handgun training, we were totally lambasted my my SIL along the lines of "What are you afraid of? Things like that don't happen in the real world. You were much more likely to have problems when you lived in Long Beach or Orange County!" :evil:

My response was that none of my houses had ever burned down either, but we still have smoke detectors and fire extinguishers.

As Preitler said, a gun is only a tool. I am not going to go out looking for a fight (in fact a big part of our training is how to avoid dangerous situations), nor am I going to go on a murder spree. But there are bad people out there, and you never know when you may have an encounter and that is why I am ALWAYS armed, whether in the safety of my own home or out and about.

I have been thinking about this a lot lately, and I think I have some plans coming in to place. We don't have a huge amount to work with on our (technically) 2 acres - it's split between the house we own and rent out, and the one we currently live in. Part of it is still cow pasture as well. I am going to start a new thread with a layout of our main acre to see what ideas I could get that I haven't yet thought of (a stupid, idiotic plan for a septic system is a huge hindrance for us right now). I am tired of mowing large areas of land that could be better used for so many other things. DH and I are going to do a walk through outside this afternoon/evening and talk out the next phase of plans (I always have something brewing... poor guy I guess is getting used to it :lol: . As soon as we get one project checked off, I think I already have 5 more added :oops: ).

I remember a conversation with an online friend whose husband is in the military - she didn't see the need to have any major plans in place b/c the military/FEMA would be available in X amnt of hours. Not something I want to count on!

It's funny, I don't believe in coincidences... our Sunday School topic ended up going down a similar path today. We discussed the Biblical standpoint for murder, and some of the discrepancies some people have with "thou shalt not murder" and some of the deaths that do occur. Exodus 22:2 was a good summation. I think it's a heart issue. (This going back to a couple of earlier comments on using guns for self-defense and what the Bible says).

My brain has felt like a pinball machine lately! Going back and forth through different things all stemming from this conversation. How far is too far to go? Is being prepared showing a lack of faith? Then I thought back to Little House and being prepared was what you had to do, it was not just a way of life, but it was life. Our conveniences have made us both comfortable and complacent. I do think there is a point of "too far" (I mean, I really have no desired to live underground for decades if the world is wiped out... just take me with you and be done with it!). I mean, things happen, there is no way to be 100% prepared for any situation (OK, so I apologize for the constant Little House references, but we have been reading those lately so they are what's swirling through my mind) - they almost didn't make it through the Long Winter because it was so much worse than anyone anticipated (they had an idea, thanks to a general awareness of their surroundings and what animals were doing and did their best to prepare, but still not to the extent of what did come).

So for me, my current list is to get a makeshift greenhouse set up to hopefully have fresh greens through a decent part of the winter... meat is semi-taken care of. A wood cook stove (looking at a Deadwood Stove). A wood stove for heat in the basement (my dad has one for me, just need to get it from VA to NC). Pots to cook in on said wood stoves (Have a decent collection of cast iron, but need a good size dutch oven to round it out). A supply of beans and rice. Some canned veggies (I am likely out of time for this year, but hopefully next year I can do my own!). Plus start practicing these things. I have a tripod and dutch oven for making soup over an open fire, but haven't used it yet. What are the chances, in a crunch situation, I would actually be successful on the first try? Doubtful, huh? We have our tent camping gear stored under the basement stairs, which is where we would go in severe weather. I figured that would give us the best chance of getting to it if something disastrous happened to the house. Another air rifle and start stocking up on ammo... this is also for this fall/winter b/c DH and ODS plan on squirrel hunting again... neither are too good of a shot yet so that would at least save some .22s for later :lol: . They can burn through the pellets with a lot less guilt that way.

There is an old well out in the pasture from a house that burned a number of years ago. It's "shallow" (40ish ft compared to our 250 ft one), but DH's cousin said it's still wet. I think we're going to go drop a bucket down and see what comes up... curious to see! You can see the water from above, but it's hard to tell how far down it is. They talked about filling it in when we were living so close to it in the old house (so the kids wouldn't wander out and fall in... the cows kept pushing the lid off).

I like the references to Little House. But they also come close to describing my ideals.
Due to my chosen lifestyle, people often think of me as a prepper, and ask, what am i prepping for? My go to response is, "tomorrow"
I don't see myself as a prepper, I just want to be as self sufficient as possible. I like growing my own food, canning for root storage. I like hunting deer. I enjoy raising pigs, chickens, and rabbits. I look forward to getting goats.
My old self was a "biker". I didn't worry about anything other than right now. Life was fun, having a good time is all that mattered. I was self employed, had a good business that did well enough considering my area.
Then in 2008, as the recession started, business started going down. By the end of 2009, I was forced to close up shop.
At that point I woke up. Fun is a state of mind. I didn't have to be on two wheels or sitting on a bar stool to enjoy life.
That made me realize, you can't count on tomorrow giving you what you have today.
Now, I no longer drink, I sold all 6 of my Harleys a few years ago. I started gardening. We sold our house in town and bought an old farm house on a couple of acres. Started raising chickens and put out bigger gardens. Then I started raising pigs, then rabbits. I cut firewood for heat, can a lot of food and cook from scratch most of the time. But, to me, it is enjoyable. It is satisfying, relaxing, and dare I say, fun.
Sure, I miss some conveniences, sometimes things get stressful, but I have more control now. I don't have to rely on outside sources as much to make sure my kids have full bellies and a warm home.

Around 2005 or 6, I was called through my job to a county-wide meeting of people in various social support fields. Our US government (as well as world leaders) had statistics presented to them, and realized that, since pandemics occur every 30-40 years, we were due for a catastrophic one. Leaders were given a plan on what to do if a pandemic hit and shut down schools, workplaces, and social meeting places, overwhelmed hospitals and emergency support workers, disrupted food deliver systems, and caused wide-spread panic. Billions of dollars had gone into the plan, and it had been presented to leaders, then health care leaders & first responder agencies, then to social service and community support groups so they could learn the plan and prepare the general citizenry for it. What we were given was this: the plan was called YOYO. It stood for "You're On Your Own." (It was at that point that I loudly laughed, then realized this wasn't a joke, and this was really what billions of our tax dollars had gone into creating.) Flyers had been printed and the next step was to hold community meetings to tell everyone they're on their own if anything goes bad, and then to send out flyers to everyone in the country through the mail. It didn't hit the community meeting or mass-mailing stage that I'm aware of.

Miss M":1c6ttukd said:
've never watched those shows, but from what I've read of them it seems like the producers go out of their way to make the people they feature seem as extreme as possible.
It's not entertaining if you see people who look like your neighbors or family, going about their business but being efficient, caring, responsible and prudent in their actions. Much more interesting to see someone who picks up questionable roadkill and make it appear that's their diet mainstay, or are more worried about a zombie apocalypse than they are about the questionable stuff their kids are being fed for lunch. It may be heartwarming to watch an older couple going about chores, quietly stocking their cellar and pantry, and repairing items as well as helping neighbors because they know that a tight community can be the difference between life & death in bad times--but it's kind of boring. I think that the people who are more balanced don't jump at the chance to be on those shows: first of all, it doesn't seem like something that's so extraordinary, and second, why would you advertise to the world that you are better prepared than your neighbors? It can bring unwanted attention. The chance to be "famous" makes people do crazy, crazy things...

I agree with Dood that preparation for emergencies just seemed to be a part of farm families. In the US, we've lost that as we've displaced small farms and agrarian lifestyles.

I agree with Maggie about firearms. I was very pro-gun control when I was younger, then realized that manufacturers still figured out ways to get them out to the "bad guys", and criminals not only were still accessing them but making good money by illegally providing them. I would like to see more services and attention paid to mental health here in the US. We still seem to respond to mental health issues by seeing it as a sign of weakness, ignoring it, hiding it, or incarcerating it. I also would like to see better attention and training given to our young men so they don't feel the need to strut their male stuff by trying to be bigger and badder than anyone around, including their kids and others they supposedly care about.

the reluctant farmer":3onnhuch said:
then realized that manufacturers still figured out ways to get them out to the "bad guys"

Just as a sidenote: It would take me about 2-3 days to build a working 9mm semiauto, much less when I produce a hundred. I'm working on a CNC mill, but every capable mechanic will do. That jeannie is out of the bottle for more than a hundred years now.
I need more time to make a decent knife...

But actually, I'm tinkering about something that is close to a Girandoni Air Gun.

Latest posts

Back