Something Bad is About to Happen...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
heritage":ycn37998 said:
I remember a conversation with an online friend whose husband is in the military - she didn't see the need to have any major plans in place b/c the military/FEMA would be available in X amnt of hours. Not something I want to count on!
HAHAHA... yeah. That hurricane I mentioned that cut us off from the mainland? We lived right in the middle among three military bases -- NAS (Naval Air Station) Pensacola, Hurlburt Field (Air Force + Marines), and Eglin AFB. It was three days before any of them were able to get to us, because they couldn't drive to us, and area had to be cleared before they could so much as land a helicopter. It was a mess. It wasn't their fault... it was just a simple fact that we were cut off and they couldn't get to us.

Once they did get in, they were awesome! Helping clear roadways and getting to people who needed help. They had triage stations set up in addition to the Red Cross ones that were already there because they were on the peninsula before the storm hit. They had a food and ice drive-through... we went to get a bag of ice, but were going to decline the case of MREs because we had plenty of food and figured someone else needed them more than we did. Turned out, my mom got there, and before she could open her mouth, they got her to pop the trunk, they had a bag of ice and a case of MREs in there, and she was out. :lol: She barely knew what hit her. :p

We finally used the MREs three years ago when we moved here. :)

But yeah, anyway, my point was that you can't count on the military/FEMA being there. They may want to be, but it all depends on the situation and the hand they're dealt. In our case, it was a bad hand, and all the intended response times in the world didn't help them get in any faster than they did.

MaggieJ":ycn37998 said:
Hey, Dood! :) Just a few comments on your post and on the subject of firearms.

Certainly stranger murders are less frequent than murders by family members or friends and acquaintances, but we need to keep in mind that in times of civil unrest, the danger from strangers may become greater.

Twice in my life I have stood guard with a loaded gun in situations where I felt I might have the need to protect myself and my child. Fortunately, neither situation escalated and one turned out to be a false alarm. No harm done. I'm gun savvy enough to exercise extreme caution with firearms, but if necessary I would have shot an intruder in self-defense. And I do believe we should have that option if our home is invaded.

I do think hand-guns need to be controlled because they are so easily concealed by criminals, but the hoops you have to jump through nowadays here in Canada just to have a .22 or shotgun in your home are, I believe, excessive.

The situation in which MamaSheepdog's family and neighbours found themselves this summer, with an armed murdering psycho on the run in their area for two weeks inclines me to feel that guns for self-defense are probably necessary for many.

What does worry me some, however, is the fine line between being prepared for a possible threat and the aggressive attitudes that seem to sometimes accompany this. I'm not talking about here on RT, but on some prepper forums it sometimes seems like there are people just hoping it will happen. And that is scary.

I think, in general, there are cultural and historical differences between how Canadians and Americans regard firearms. Americans believe strongly in their right to bear arms. Canadians, maybe not so much. It's the American "Life, Liberty and the Pursuit of Happiness" versus the Canadian "Peace, Order and Good Government." (Not that our government is good, anymore, but that's another topic.)
:clap: Five thumbs up! If only I had five thumbs!

Susie570":ycn37998 said:
The 'prepper world' IS full of crazies though. It's not difficult to find them. Just do some browsing around online. You'll see the forums, the shopping sites catering to paranoid folks (some really cool stuff sometimes though). I was introduced to the whole underbelly of crazy by the experience with the ex, mostly because he wanted to promote the book he was trying to write.
Oh, yes, I've seen plenty of them. I was just pointing out that I don't see them here. The one that we had for a while was just a troll, too. His questions became more and more outlandish. Members begrudgingly tried to help him with ideas, but it finally became obvious he was only here to make trouble. We banned him. :) Also pointing out that they're not all as they seem in those shows. I remember when a casting call for a new one came out, and I saw calls for caution on a blog I follow (not a paranoid blog), because of the way some of the people had been portrayed in these shows already. Apparently, a lot of careful editing had been done, and it made these people look like they were waaaaay out there when they really weren't. Sounded like they could have sued for libel rather easily. But I know there are plenty of people who are waaaaay out there.

I always take it as a big warning flag if people start popping out 'the lingo'. From an article: "Like 12-steppers or model-train enthusiasts, preppers have their own lingo: TSHTF (the shit hits the fan) and TEOTWAWKI (the end of the world as we know it) are popular, as are WROL (without rule of law), BOB (a bug-out bag, the backpack full of supplies you keep in case TSHTF and you have to GOOD—get out of Dodge).
Some of this lingo has been adopted by normal preparedness-minded people, though. They refer to things that the paranoid and non-paranoid alike see to have a strong possibility of actually happening. My husband kept a BOB in his work vehicle, understanding that -- with the demonstrations that were happening and not knowing if they would spread -- it might be a while before he could get home from wherever in the state he happened to be.

These people truly do engage in activities like 'bug out drills' for the family, winch I mean... even that I could understand doing maybe once or twice, calmly talking about what the plan is in case of emergency, etc, but a lot of these folks live (and force their family to live), in a mental state of stress and unease. It's overboard. But hey, even then if it's people who truly enjoy it, who cares what they do? I feel bad for kids though and those subjected to that level of stress unwilling. :/
I agree that living in a constant state of stress is very bad. I think it's good to be prepared, but bad to allow yourself and your family to be ruled by an air of fear, anger, and suspicion.

heritage":ycn37998 said:
It's funny, I don't believe in coincidences... our Sunday School topic ended up going down a similar path today. We discussed the Biblical standpoint for murder, and some of the discrepancies some people have with "thou shalt not murder" and some of the deaths that do occur. Exodus 22:2 was a good summation. I think it's a heart issue. (This going back to a couple of earlier comments on using guns for self-defense and what the Bible says).
Yes, it is a heart issue... About Ex 22:2-3, it doesn't mean you can't defend yourself in the daytime, only that in daytime you are able to see whether there is a real threat. At night, you can't tell, everything's dark. The commandment usually rendered, "Thou shalt not kill," is, as you said, much better rendered, "Thou shalt not murder." Murder isn't just ending a life. It's ending a life with intent and malice. There were crimes that carried the death penalty, but these did not violate the command not to murder. The death penalty was the carrying out of the justice called for by the crime, and had nothing to do with malice. Just like killing in self-defense or in defense of your family is not murder.

Preitler":ycn37998 said:
Strict gun laws apply only to people who obey the law anyway...
Gracious, Preitler, you sound like you could be writing from here.

Miss M":1j1rzef6 said:
heritage":1j1rzef6 said:
It's funny, I don't believe in coincidences... our Sunday School topic ended up going down a similar path today. We discussed the Biblical standpoint for murder, and some of the discrepancies some people have with "thou shalt not murder" and some of the deaths that do occur. Exodus 22:2 was a good summation. I think it's a heart issue. (This going back to a couple of earlier comments on using guns for self-defense and what the Bible says).
Yes, it is a heart issue... About Ex 22:2-3, it doesn't mean you can't defend yourself in the daytime, only that in daytime you are able to see whether there is a real threat. At night, you can't tell, everything's dark. The commandment usually rendered, "Thou shalt not kill," is, as you said, much better rendered, "Thou shalt not murder." Murder isn't just ending a life. It's ending a life with intent and malice. There were crimes that carried the death penalty, but these did not violate the command not to murder. The death penalty was the carrying out of the justice called for by the crime, and had nothing to do with malice. Just like killing in self-defense or in defense of your family is not murder.
Yes, very much a difference between murder and killing. We talked about the laws that had the death penalty, and if they were to hold them to a strict "thou shalt not kill" then eventually they would extinguish all of society b/c the person that did the death penalty would then be held accountable for that persons death, so on, and so on. Common sense isn't so common anymore, but it in theory goes a long ways. If there is a masked man in my house that I didn't invite in, common sense would say that I should have the right to defend myself, but wishy washy laws have made it all so murky. I remember talking about a court case in college about a guy who broke into a house while people were on vacation... he only made it into the garage but for some reason couldn't make it back out (I can't remember what happened... injury maybe??). He survived on Gatorade and dogfood until the couple/family made it home. He had the nerve to sue them, and WON! Seriously?!? :evil:

A friend who has her concealed carry permit told me that in NC if an intruder has one foot in your house, you can shoot them. If they get two feet in, you can't. Again... seriously?!?

Well, I've thoroughly enjoyed watching this thread develop. I've stayed out of the discussion as long as I can so now Maggie J, I'll see your 2 cents (Canadian) and raise you 2 cents (U.S.)...

First, Suzie570, I totally understand your position. And I have great respect and admiration for your positive attitude. It's people like you who will be the "anchor" if we ever do go through genuinely difficult times.

I believe the greatest strength America enjoys is its people. And I believe America has grown stronger for many decades due to LEGAL immigration and assimilation. Now, I mean no offense here but, in my humble opinion the recent Liberal approach to promoting ILLEGAL immigration (for the purpose of creating a larger Liberal voting base) has contributed to a steady decline of values, respect for the Rule of Law, and National Security.

That leads me to what I believe is the greatest threat we Americans face today. Not terrorists, not nuclear war (EMP), certainly not Global Warming!!! The greatest threat we face is corrupt politicians. We have a lawless President and Administration, a lawless IRS and EPA, and a Supreme Court that is no longer content to interpret Law but has now assumed the authority to CREATE law.

The checks and balances our Founding Fathers put in place are being completely ignored. And those responsible for keeping other divisions of government in check have abdicated their responsibilities. Our politicians are nothing more than Professional Political Prostitutes, selling their influence for personal gain regardless the cost to the People.

So, are we all doomed??? Of course not. The pendulum swings to its apex, then reverses direction. So long as we have the power to vote and so long as we exercise that power there is Hope!

However, decisions have consequences and some very bad decisions have been made (by both Republicans and Democrats) that will lead to some very difficult consequences in the coming years.

In the recent past, the greatest amount of cash in circulation (in the U.S.) had never exceeded about $950 billion. Since the "Great Recession" that cash has increased to somewhere around $4 to $5 TRILLION! I'm not sure we can expect to find any truly accurate accounting but that seems to be close. The only reasons we haven't experienced massive inflation are 1) because most of that money is being held by (worried) bankers rather than being lent and spent and, 2) people are reluctant (or simply unable) to spend.

College graduates have 5 and 6-figure student-loan debt even before they have any income, for goodness sake!

No one really knows whether we're going to see deflation (though that's what we have at the moment as commodity prices are declining) or runaway inflation.

Personally I think both. Deflation in the short term, potentially devastating inflation in the long term. So, what do we do?

As Suzie570 said, you've GOT to maintain quality of life. LIVE today but prepare for the future. Not in a crazy, whacked-out way. Just use common sense.

Be careful with your money and keep some cash in a safe, easily-accessible place. If people panic and start a run on banks we'll see bank holidays and capital controls like Cyprus and Greece. But, those people are living through it and, if it happens here we will too. Just keep some cash outside the bank so you will have it IF you need it.

Regarding runaway inflation... As Miss M mentioned -Silver & gold hold value as the dollar loses value. Don't put all your money in gold. Don't sell all your worldly possessions to buy gold or silver. But, I am making regular, small purchases of silver out of my current income. I'm not doing that to try to "make a killing". I'm doing that because I know that, historically, silver and gold retain their value even as currency loses value (a hedge against inflation). Deflation may temporarily devalue my silver holdings but that just gives me the opportunity to average down and buy more at a lower price.

Personally, I'm keeping 1/3 of my savings in cash, 1/3 in silver, and (please don't think of me as a nut-job here...) 1/3 in natural colored diamonds. Diamonds are "hard assets" like silver and gold. They have steadily appreciated for many decades and you are not required to report their ownership to any government agency.

The cash is there for immediate and short-term needs in an emergency. The silver can be quickly converted to cash if needed but will not lose value during times of inflation. The diamonds take a bit longer to convert and are really more of a retirement "insurance" for my wife.

I also agree with Heritage - I don't use the "Cloud" for anything. I don't think it's secure and I don't like being at the mercy of internet access. Paper books and files stored directly on my own computer are the way to go.

I will soon purchase one or two generators but, because they require fuel, which is expensive and may not be accessible, I'm also planning to install some solar panels with battery storage. Solar is a one-time investment (ridiculously expensive at present!) but has no real cost to operate (fuel).

And yes, we have our rabbits and our chickens. I'll add a dairy goat and some quail to the herd if things start looking desperate. We live on 40 acres of rolling sandhills so we have options.

But we will all survive and I think we will thrive. My wife and I enjoy our life in the country. We treat ourselves to a few minor luxuries. We're prepared and preparing reasonably. We have, and know how to use our rifles and pistols but hope we never have to employ them for self-defense. We have great fun shooting recreationally and could certainly put meat on the table if necessary.

And we have all of you here at RT!!! We'll all be fine. We're Family... Right?

Randy

Just a couple of comments, and JMHO..
# 1, -this world is a predatory place, anyone who does not / will not except and understand that is just food for a predator,
I have had "a time or two" that being armed was important, and being "armed" is the only reason I am still here to make these comments. [so for me ,-it is not just a hypothetical question]
# 2, -For those confused , and or worried Christians out there, [burdened with "new translations" of their bible] "the book" said "thou shalt not shed innocent blood", it did not say "thou shall not kill"
-- it is just commonly and conveniently , misquoted..

Older US silver currency is another option for physical wealth that will increase in value to match inflation.

No one looks at you funny when you say you collect silver coins, and relatives are often quite willing to indulge your hobby with gifts in the form of mercury dimes or the newest US silver eagle coin. ;)

Dood":2unkqelz said:
I think a lot of people want to get back to that way of life and not because of a feeling of impending doom but because they feel that the materialistic culture cultivated in North America since WWII is toxic to family and society and the earth

:yeahthat: :D

Nicely said.

This thread is proving a timely one, what with markets around the world coming apart again this morning. How many more trillions will they print now?

The Emperor has nothing on at all.

rtower":3m21pt8n said:
The greatest threat we face is corrupt politicians.

So long as we have the power to vote and so long as we exercise that power there is Hope!

That first line is spot on ..... Second one not so much.

The problem is that some corrupt people control the entire voting process. The D's and R's pick a few among them and we get to pick from the hot garbage they already decided were acceptable to them.

Ramjet":wqdev35j said:
rtower":wqdev35j said:

So long as we have the power to vote and so long as we exercise that power there is Hope!

The problem is that some corrupt people control the entire voting process. The D's and R's pick a few among them and we get to pick from the hot garbage they already decided were acceptable to them.

I'm voting for Bernie. If he DID get in, it would cause a ruckus. He wouldn't have the power to do most of what he says he would do, because congress would stifle him, but it would be interesting to see what happens.

well that's.. ironic.. I guess.. top of my suggested youtube video when I pulled it up: "something bad is coming"
[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ivvs8cqQPM[/youtube]

Stocks... meh...

If people just held onto their stocks and waited it out, they would be fine.
It will recover.

Glen Beck, I always wonder why does he have such a huge antique microphone, is his audience that old? or does he just want us to think what he says is
VERY VERY IMPORTANT! He always preaches doom and gloom, its made him millions. I take him with a grain of salt.
I guess I am not worried as I have an acre and a half in the country already, and rabbits! I think the world is going to have some growing pains as we are becoming a world
economy, as opposed to many countries economies. We are becoming a type one civilization as opposed to a type 0 (see u tube michio Kaku). He explains it better
than I can, and I totally agree.

Susie570":2m96oldm said:
Ramjet":2m96oldm said:
rtower":2m96oldm said:

I'm voting for Bernie. If he DID get in, it would cause a ruckus. He wouldn't have the power to do most of what he says he would do, because congress would stifle him, but it would be interesting to see what happens.

I'll likely vote for Rand Paul in the primaries .... but seriously doubt he wins. Too bad Ron Paul didn't win last time. We could sure use a Goldwater or Eisenhower type and he was the closest you get in this era. I still cant get over how his farewell speech speaks of our current situation ..... 54 years later.(military industrial complex - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CWiIYW_fBfY )

As for the GE , I get the feeling its going to come down to Hillary Vs one of Trump or Jeb Bush and all three are pathetic choices. Pick your poison .... that's about as disappointing a group as I can imagine.

Well, since this turned into politcs ... I'm voting for Trump. Dang the torpedos! If he runs 3rd party, I'm still voting for him. Dang the torpedos!
Why, you ask?
Because I'm sick to my stomach of holding my nose and voting for the lesser of 2 evils. Never, ever again!!!!! Dang the republican party and Double Dang the communist democrap party!
The way I see it, Washington is so corrupt and full of elitist politicians, there is no way Trump can do any worse!!!!!!! Heck, at this point, I'd just assume see them pull names from the phone book and send those people to DC. America is in a no return downward spiral anyway. Might as well see some fireworks as it all implodes and who better to do a cannonball in the shallow end than my man and mouthpiece, D. Trump (the 'D' stands for Don't give a damn if I offended you). Plus, he's got enough money that we don't have to worry about him being bought .... for cheap anyway.

Okay haters, start hatin' :p

Latest posts

Back