Something Bad is About to Happen...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
bikegurl":o3yiegy9 said:
Instead of investing in firearms, though, since the thought of buying a gun with the only purpose being to use it on people turns my stomach, I would rather buy padlocks and secure my critters and home.

The thought of using a firearm against people will turn any sane person's stomach.

But consider the alternative of seeing your family members raped, tortured, and perhaps killed before your very eyes, let alone suffering the same fate yourself. Does that not turn your stomach all the more?

Locking people out of your home is all well and good, but what about your windows? Are they barred or otherwise covered over? What if someone threatens to burn you out of the house if you don't co-operate? What about when you are away from the perceived safety of your home gathering foodstuffs or other provisions?

Just some things to consider.

I would strongly recommend that you (and everyone else!) get firearms AND training in how to use them. That way if you are unable to diffuse a situation peaceably, you can at least have some hope of protecting your loved ones.

MamaSheepdog":3omxs5lq said:
bikegurl":3omxs5lq said:
Instead of investing in firearms, though, since the thought of buying a gun with the only purpose being to use it on people turns my stomach, I would rather buy padlocks and secure my critters and home.

The thought of using a firearm against people will turn any sane person's stomach.

But consider the alternative of seeing your family members raped, tortured, and perhaps killed before your very eyes, let alone suffering the same fate yourself. Does that not turn your stomach all the more?

Locking people out of your home is all well and good, but what about your windows? Are they barred or otherwise covered over? What if someone threatens to burn you out of the house if you don't co-operate? What about when you are away from the perceived safety of your home gathering foodstuffs or other provisions?

I would strongly recommend that you (and everyone else!) get firearms AND training in how to use them. That way if you are unable to diffuse a situation peaceably, you can at least have some hope of protecting your loved ones.

This. And there doesn't need to be a crisis of any kind for this to be the life-saving advice it is. Look at MSD's recent thread about the loony running around in her neck of the woods- holding people at gunpoint, killing others. A padlock, a mean dog, strong fences are not going to stop someone like that Now imagine a lot of folks like that, panicked after a crisis hits.

I can totally understand being sickened by the thought of having to shoot someone. I get it. But here's the thing- the person you might have to face in that situation won't hesitate to hurt or kill you. It comes down to a choice- and better for you to have made it before being faced with the split-second reality of it, unarmed and untrained.

MamaSheepdog":1mmwn50a said:

Thanks for your concern. :)
It may seem naive, but I've thought about it quite a bit and had a number of discussions with people of your opinion. I feel very strongly that, for me, I am not okay with owning that kind of gun. It is a religious and personal belief. (I strive to be like Jesus, and he was peaceful)
I do not know what I would do in a situation like those you mention. I have absolutely no experience with any type of violent situation, but I am hopeful that it would be able to be peacefully diffused. There is a book that I want to read (I don't know the name of it) specifically about diffusing potentially deadly situations peacefully. My dad read it and told some of the stories in it to us. It was quite fascinating.
I don't want to start a debate on gun use/ownership/self defense.
I'm enjoying reading what people are doing, with this feeling of impending doom... :)

I bought a bunch of beans and rice at town today.

I get home, get things put away and flop down to look at my tablet and the first thing I see is the dow jones has plunged 500 pnts. I really hope this isn't the start...

alforddm":2avdrvm4 said:
I get home, get things put away and flop down to look at my tablet and the first thing I see is the dow jones has plunged 500 pnts. I really hope this isn't the start...

My husband keeps close track of the markets...he's been commenting this week on how they are falling more this week than they have in years. :| :popcorn:

bikegurl":3mg399cy said:
alforddm":3mg399cy said:

My husband keeps close track of the markets...he's been commenting this week on how they are falling more this week than they have in years. :| :popcorn:
gggrreeeeaaaaattt....

bikegurl":1t5a8i03 said:
MamaSheepdog":1t5a8i03 said:

Thanks for your concern. :)
It may seem naive, but I've thought about it quite a bit and had a number of discussions with people of your opinion. I feel very strongly that, for me, I am not okay with owning that kind of gun. It is a religious and personal belief. (I strive to be like Jesus, and he was peaceful)
I do not know what I would do in a situation like those you mention. I have absolutely no experience with any type of violent situation, but I am hopeful that it would be able to be peacefully diffused. There is a book that I want to read (I don't know the name of it) specifically about diffusing potentially deadly situations peacefully. My dad read it and told some of the stories in it to us. It was quite fascinating.
I don't want to start a debate on gun use/ownership/self defense.
I'm enjoying reading what people are doing, with this feeling of impending doom... :)

Even Christ advised people to take up arms to protect themselves and their possessions.
Luke 22:36

DBA":feuc3xir said:
Even Christ advised people to take up arms to protect themselves and their possessions.
Luke 22:36
But, more clearly, said to not resist the evil ones... Matthew 5:39-42
Anyway, I don't want to hijack this thread with a discussion of peaceful response to violence vs violent response to violence. But....if you want to start a new thread and discuss this further, I'll gladly participate! I don't mind a discussion.

OK, so seriously contemplating some HUGE financial changes... just not sure the logistics of it all. What happens if you pull your retirement? I know there are penalties and all. (We have a small Roth IRA ($4K maybe?) and a 401K that has a decent sum of money... nothing huge, but nothing I want to lose either). Where do you put it? In a tin can in the backyard? Fireproof safe in the basement? Also, how much should we "invest" in things to make a hard life easier? Like a woodstove, hand pump at the well, etc. If alforddm would prefer I can start a whole new thread... but I want/need some guidance, if at all possible. Firearms a must - but what kind? What ammo is best? I feel so clueless, and helpless at the same time! :x

This discussion absolutely fascinates me! I'm amazed at how many people all seem to have the same feeling that things will get much worse. Even more amazing to me, is the fact that so many seem to think it will happen sooner rather than later. Some might want to visit some of the larger prepper sites. All of these questions and many more have been answered in great detail and cover many different philosophies on prepping.
By the way, I concur. The rear discharge is about to contact the circular oscillating device soon ... very soon! Hold on tight, it's gonna be a wild ride! :|

heritage":1r7qz7eq said:
OK, so seriously contemplating some HUGE financial changes... just not sure the logistics of it all. What happens if you pull your retirement? I know there are penalties and all. (We have a small Roth IRA ($4K maybe?) and a 401K that has a decent sum of money... nothing huge, but nothing I want to lose either). Where do you put it? In a tin can in the backyard? Fireproof safe in the basement? Also, how much should we "invest" in things to make a hard life easier? Like a woodstove, hand pump at the well, etc. If alforddm would prefer I can start a whole new thread... but I want/need some guidance, if at all possible. Firearms a must - but what kind? What ammo is best? I feel so clueless, and helpless at the same time! :x

Do yourself a favor and don't jump before you look. Talk to your 401K person and get solid info on the penalties and tax repercussions. If you decide to take the hit, I would detail the items you think you need, and take out what you need to cover those. Start there, and after those things are in place, se if you need to do more.

Think logically, and not out of a sense of fear. To me, priorities are: water (obtainable in some form without electricity- this could be a hand pump or access to some springs with constant water); food (and the ability to grow more- seeds, canning equipment, protein source(s), a way to cook it (again, without electricity); heat source for the winter (again, no electricity and with thought to a continuing source for fuel for it); personal protection (firearms for protection and for hunting, along with adequate ammunition and tools to keep them working) and a way to provide for the animals that are your protein source. Just below that, again to me, are clothing, personal hygiene, medical supplies, and tools (garden tools, hand tools, and the like).

Personally, I think that if these troubles come during my lifetime, you will see a localized barter system spring up. Some people will have thought of A but not B, and others vice versa. Trading will become a way of life. I believe that those of us here raising meat type rabbits on any kind of a decent scale will have a tremendous barter advantage. So, I am not terribly worried if we are overlooking some items here or there.

Two winters ago, we had a bad winter storm, and were without electricity for over a week. Other than missing my TV shows, we were fine- we were warm, we ate well, and our animals were well cared for. Prior to that, back when Hurricane Andrew hit, we were without most basic services for four months- I learned a lot from that experience, and have brought those lessons forward. I have blueberry muffin mix and chocolate pudding in cans in my pantry. :)

heritage":3nov9ztk said:

I would go for firearms that are dual purpose and that can shoot different types of ammo. The shotgun I want is a magnum, which will shoot all 3 sizes of shells, instead of just the 2. A 30.06 can shoot more than one type of round too. For a pistol, I would suggest a .357. They will also shoot a .38 round, so anybody could use it. This way, if one type of ammo is scarce, you can always get another kind that will still fire through the weapon.

A couple of weapons that are often overlooked would be a bb gun and a sling shot. Not very helpful for self defense, but the ammo is very cheap, and you could still hunt small game with them, if need be. You could buy 10,000 bb's for the price you could buy a box of .308 ammo. It would be good to have, just in case you ever ran out of ammo for your larger weapons.

Where you put your money would be up to you. I'm not fortunate enough, or smart enough when I was younger, to have any retirement savings, but if I did, I would invest in storable food, weapons, ammo, seeds, water, flint rocks, silver, tobacco, and medical supplies. Obviously, I would spend the whole thing on them, but I would make sure I was equipped to be able to survive.

The thing, to me, about wells and pumps is that I'm afraid that our water supplies could be tainted after a while. If that happens, our aquifers could be infected too. Therefore they'd render useless. So maybe some kind of filtering system would be better? I read earlier, forgive me for not remembering who posted it, but solar devises would be another good investment, imo. <br /><br /> __________ Fri Aug 21, 2015 10:10 pm __________ <br /><br />
Marinea":3nov9ztk said:
heritage":3nov9ztk said:

Do yourself a favor and don't jump before you look. Talk to your 401K person and get solid info on the penalties and tax repercussions. If you decide to take the hit, I would detail the items you think you need, and take out what you need to cover those. Start there, and after those things are in place, se if you need to do more.

Think logically, and not out of a sense of fear. To me, priorities are: water (obtainable in some form without electricity- this could be a hand pump or access to some springs with constant water); food (and the ability to grow more- seeds, canning equipment, protein source(s), a way to cook it (again, without electricity); heat source for the winter (again, no electricity and with thought to a continuing source for fuel for it); personal protection (firearms for protection and for hunting, along with adequate ammunition and tools to keep them working) and a way to provide for the animals that are your protein source. Just below that, again to me, are clothing, personal hygiene, medical supplies, and tools (garden tools, hand tools, and the like).

Personally, I think that if these troubles come during my lifetime, you will see a localized barter system spring up. Some people will have thought of A but not B, and others vice versa. Trading will become a way of life. I believe that those of us here raising meat type rabbits on any kind of a decent scale will have a tremendous barter advantage. So, I am not terribly worried if we are overlooking some items here or there.

Two winters ago, we had a bad winter storm, and were without electricity for over a week. Other than missing my TV shows, we were fine- we were warm, we ate well, and our animals were well cared for. Prior to that, back when Hurricane Andrew hit, we were without most basic services for four months- I learned a lot from that experience, and have brought those lessons forward. I have blueberry muffin mix and chocolate pudding in cans in my pantry. :)

Sorry you had to go through being without power, but I believe that it really shows you how to live without all the luxuries we have now!!

You have a point about bartering, but I believe that most people will be blind to the whole catastrophe. Meat rabbits will be a great bartering tool, if you just make sure you can supply enough to 'sell' and keep for your own!!

I would go for a high powered pellet rifle rather than a bb gun. You really can't kill much with a bb gun unless you're hunting small birds at night when they roost in the cedar trees. A Pellet rifle on the other hand is much more accurate and the newer ones that are high powered can easily kill rabbits, squirrels, birds, and probably even coons with well placed shots (haven't tried it).

We bought my daughter a .177 caliber pellet rifle for her birthday last year and have been pleased with the purchase. It was around $150 for the rifle and didn't require any paperwork (may vary with location). My father-in-law had some young wild pigs caught in a trap and they actually dispatched them with the pellet rifle. These were about 30ish lb pigs and was a close range but it got the job done neatly. It's the single shot pump up kind so doesn't require CO cartridges. Pellets are between $5-10 for 500. I encouraged hubby to buy this instead of a 22 simply because 22 ammo has been impossible to find in our area for several years.

As far as full size calibers, I would recommend 9mm and 45 for pistols and 223 and 308 for rifles. This is because the ammo is available. These are common cartridges and if you ever have to salvage for ammo are the ones you're most likely to find. They are also the calibers the US (and many other militaries) use.

alforddm":2nf0wfsd said:
I would go for a high powered pellet rifle rather than a bb gun. You really can't kill much with a bb gun unless you're hunting small birds at night when they roost in the cedar trees. A Pellet rifle on the other hand is much more accurate and the newer ones that are high powered can easily kill rabbits, squirrels, birds, and probably even coons with well placed shots (haven't tried it).

We bought my daughter a .177 caliber pellet rifle for her birthday last year and have been pleased with the purchase. It was around $150 for the rifle and didn't require any paperwork (may vary with location). My father-in-law had some young wild pigs caught in a trap and they actually dispatched them with the pellet rifle. These were about 30ish lb pigs and was a close range but it got the job done neatly. It's the single shot pump up kind so doesn't require CO cartridges. Pellets are between $5-10 for 500. I encouraged hubby to buy this instead of a 22 simply because 22 ammo has been impossible to find in our area for several years.

As far as full size calibers, I would recommend 9mm and 45 for pistols and 223 and 308 for rifles. This is because the ammo is available. These are common cartridges and if you ever have to salvage for ammo are the ones you're most likely to find. They are also the calibers the US (and many other militaries) use.

I agree about the pellet guns too, but most, I believe can hole bb's as well. I've killed many of rabbit, squirrels, and birds with just bb's. I also agree about not getting the co2 versions either!!

I had a 9mm and a 308, but somebody stole them from me, curses. Don't forget though, the way they are trying to kill the 2nd amendment, there's no telling how long the ammo will be available, and that's why I suggested the 357 and 30.06, plus the magnum shotgun. 22 ammo is starting to come more available here, but who knows how long that will last?

Marinea":1xkdsdjc said:
heritage":1xkdsdjc said:

Definitely not going to make any snap decisions, but it's something that has been lingering in the back of my mind for a while (just thought it was crazy to contemplate it). If nothing else I will see if DH will stop the current amount being put in and we can use that to try and get a bit more prepared. Thankfully ( :? ) we are not near retirement, and who knows if it's even going to be an option at that point, so we're not dealing with huge amounts of money that could really set us back (I know DH had a coworker that said he lost something like $65K in one hit a few years ago). <br /><br /> __________ Sat Aug 22, 2015 7:12 am __________ <br /><br />
lereg15":1xkdsdjc said:
alforddm":1xkdsdjc said:

I agree about the pellet guns too, but most, I believe can hole bb's as well. I've killed many of rabbit, squirrels, and birds with just bb's. I also agree about not getting the co2 versions either!!

I had a 9mm and a 308, but somebody stole them from me, curses. Don't forget though, the way they are trying to kill the 2nd amendment, there's no telling how long the ammo will be available, and that's why I suggested the 357 and 30.06, plus the magnum shotgun. 22 ammo is starting to come more available here, but who knows how long that will last?

We currently have: 2 .22s (one a family heirloom, the other a new youth model), 2 BBs, 1 12g (Remington 870, "my" gun... pump action for home defense in hopes that if I ever had to use it they would hear that tell-tale sound and flee... need to get a lot more ammo for it and practice with it some more), and one lower end .177 - I want a couple more of them! We made sure it didn't take a CO2 cart. I liked that it didn't have to be registered and ammo is cheap and easy to come by. I also want a revolver of some sort, no idea what though. A guy at church mentioned selling us a gun or two... I will have to look into it since those would be "off the record" as well.

A friend and I are planning on doing a girls night out to the shooting range - she has her concealed carry permit and her husband is an avid hunter and overall gun enthusiast so she knows quite a bit more than I do. She mentioned learning to shoot from the hip with at least some accuracy since in emergency situations it could mean the difference between life and death if you can get a shot off that much sooner.

The likelihood of an eventual collapse is very high, however the likelihood of an imminent collapse is quite small. We have learned from the previous financial crisis in '08 that policymakers will go to the extreme to perpetuate the status quo. A lot more money can be printed before total confidence is lost, only because few learn and understand history. Move towards preparedness but don't count on imminent collapse. Even if the stock market crashes Monday morning the institutions that keep food on the shelves and the water flowing will likely be supported for at least some time.

I lost most of my retirement savings trying to prepare for collapse just prior to the crisis in '08. I didn't anticipate the lengths policymakers would go nor how quickly the general public would forget how vulnerable things are. I lost a lot of money, but more importantly the direction of my life changed for the better. I remain fixated on the unfolding financial collapse (we are in fact in the middle of it, only it's in slow motion), however I no longer feel an overwhelming sense of needing to do something about it. I've already made the big transition. I've opted out.

Incidentally, this discussion being on a rabbit forum, I believe raising rabbits is among the most useful skill to have. It is difficult to survive on a vegetable garden alone. I also raise chicken, quail, and duck and have started planning for pigeon and fish. I really look forward to raising goat as soon as my circumstance allows it. An important consideration is how to feed the animals. Two of the best options, IMO is pasture and insects. I started raising insects recently in order to convert waste that we produce, such as rabbit manure and food scraps, into feed.

Beyond growing/raising your own food opting-out requires that you no longer depend on any of the institutions that support society today. No debts, no rents, no utilities provided. Don't expect to make a quick transition. It takes years. Ultimately what is needed, however, is to be part of a strong community. We are pack creatures in the end. We need to be in a group to survive and thrive. That is the biggest challenge and it is the transition that will take the longest to achieve.

katiebear":22otsxvh said:
Susie570":22otsxvh said:
Are you a survivor Of trauma, particularly a traumatic childhood? A 'feeling of impending doom' is a very common symptom of PTSD, something I've battled most of my life. It's not easily overcome (not sure it can ever be completely overcome), but I find it to be a comfort that it's just my brain freaking out and NOT a true indication that something bad is about to happen.

On the other hand, maybe you're 'psychic'. ;)

Well here is that "you are all crazy" post we have been waiting for.... :lol:

Well, not exactly. I wrote that before reading through all of the posts here (mostly).

The 'prepper' / survivalist thing is somewhat annoying to me, but I didn't realize that would be the direction this thread took when I wrote that.

I would say that I lived in 'blissful ignorance' about that whole mindset until I moved in with psycho ex in '97. I packed up my most precious belongings and drove across the country, leaving everything else behind, to live with him in California. I entered a dark and twisted world, a big part of which was hearing about the impending doom of our civilization for a good portion of every day for over a decade.

That, along with his wanna-be cult leader mentality, brandishing the bible and the 'word of God' in order to try and break my mind, piece by piece, I can't even go into the details of these dark years. It's too complex and bizarre. I'm truly amazed that I escaped with my life, much less my mind intact.

But, back to the 'prepping' :x it literally makes me feel nauseated to hear the whole prepped lingo and such. He would talk about the 'coming disaster' all the time, but (ironically) never actually did ANY 'prepping'. At all. This is probably a good thing, in hindsight, as it probably would have made it even harder to leave him in the end.

So, while I can see the sense in making some reasonable preparations for a person's family, the idea of making prepping a part of daily life is repulsive. I would literally rather die than live my life in that constant nightmare of paranoia and fear - but I truly believe the likelihood of some cataclysmic event is very unlikely. Just the word 'bugout' makes me feel like puking. I have come to believe that we have far more to fear from our fellow man, on a day to day basis, than the collapse of society or 'big brother'.

That all being said, the psycho ex goes my the name '(removed - ask if you want to know)' in the crazy prepper world. I helped conceive of a survivalist handbook that he has been trying to write for the last 8 years or so, called '( removed - ask me if you want to know)'. I doubt he will ever finish it and frankly hope he gives himself a widowmaker heart attack.

So yeah, that's my rant. I've put enough thought into some basic planning to have idea of what I will try to do in case of an emergency. My family is not totally reliant on the power grid for our day to day survival. Kudos to those of you who want a healthier, less pre-processed and pre-packaged corporate dependent lifestyle for you families. Just keep in mind that quality of life is THE most important thing, for everyone involved. If what you're doing gives you AND your family, a feeling of comfort, security and joy... That is a wonderful thing. It's when daily life slips into constant worry of survival, fear of surveillance, the feeling of being personally targeted by 'them' that it becomes a dark, dangerous and mentally ill thing.

Susie570 - yeah, that would be enough to put anybody off. I will say, I am not preparing for the end of the world (or a zombie apocalypse). If Jesus were to come tomorrow, I would much rather be in the first round to heaven rather than stick around what would be a very scary place to live! Revelation does tell us that some believers will be left on earth for at least a little while.

That said, I do feel like I need to have something in place for my children. Living out in the country natural disasters (hurricanes, tornadoes, ice storms, etc.) have been known to knock out power and utilities for weeks on end. I want to have something in place for that time. We also have crazy "neighbors" (in the miles surrounding us) that I am sure wouldn't hesitate to come help themselves to whatever it is they deem necessity. A wood cook stove would help tremendously, as would a hand pump at the well (we have a water source, but it's in the cow pasture :sick: ). Guns and ammo mainly b/c who knows how long they will be available and affordable. History shows that once those are taken away, things could get ugly, fast.

As for the financial side of things... I actually am to the point that I don't trust the government. Whether that be considered paranoid or not, I just don't like the way things are going. I'm just not sure the best route to go. My husband has worked hard, and it would be heartbreaking to lose it all because of greedy other people :evil: . Again, history shows that a stock market crash can be devastating. In some ways, I want to pull it all just so we can pay off the house.

__________ Sat Aug 22, 2015 10:48 am __________

OK, so I found that I can't read too much on prepper type websites b/c it does get my anxiety ramped up too high :oops: :x . I did find this neat little stove though... http://www.deadwoodstove.com/.

Like Susie, I don't want to live life with impending doom, but I do want to be able to keep my family alive if there ever comes a time that it's necessary. Even if it's job loss and/or a severe cut in income. Having backed food would help stretch things for a while. I hate not knowing how to do even simple things for myself. That's what I want to get back to (and I have learned a lot the last 5 years or so). I do think something is brewing... not sure how big or small it's going to be.

I don't know... I think shows like the Walking Dead are making things that much more hyped up (not that I have ever seen it), but it can't hurt to have some form of plan in place.

heritage":12c31f8s said:
Like Susie, I don't want to live life with impending doom, but I do want to be able to keep my family alive if there ever comes a time that it's necessary.

That's just it- we never know what the future has in store for us. We hear of multiple disasters every year, both here and abroad. The sane thing to do is to be prepared.

People have ALWAYS stored food for the future- the current population is the anomaly in historic terms. People have never lived day to day in regard to food if they could in any way avoid it.

Suzie, I was not trying to offend you,And I am truly sorry that I did.
My point although I failed to make it, was that a lot of folks..haven't even got food for a week...nor water or a source for such things should transportation become impossible.Like a natural (solar flare) or man made (E.M.P.) interruption of the electrical grid.Or in the case of flood,fire or any such thing.
I am truly sorry that you were involved with a mentally ill man. But now knowing just what this type of person is capable of, you can and should have a better, almost 6th sense of what to do and whom to avoid
.When anyone takes anything to the extreme it is a cult, an idol if you will..this is not healthy..That is the very thing that kept me from belief in a creator and a savior...too many Jim Jones, or David Koresh types.The extreme preppers can be just as bad, with the paranoia and single mindedness that drives them into isolation.,and a slow decent into total madness...
I have never met you but I can tell you here just how much I respect you, You are intelligent, strong and very capable. To be a single mom and a business owner takes a lot of drive and a lot of guts..You my cyber friend are truly a woman of courage and a force to be reckoned with. :)

Latest posts

Back