Poor rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
JenerationX":1pvcro5m said:
It looks like they're basically just standing in a pile of poop..... please tell me some of that is some kind of brown pellet bedding.

Nope, it's poop. :(
The only positive thing I can see is that it would be great fertilizer.
I doubt he's giving those buns any bedding at all and I don't see a drop of hay. If they were rescues from someone who died or something, you would think they would just contact a rescue organization. No, he likely raises those bunnies for his meat and doesn't give a Damn about them (unlike our responsible meat breeders in this forum). He's looking to turn a profit where he can and the bunnies are probably not as clean as they look.

That being said, I have no doubt those cages are cleaned out pretty often, otherwise the poop would be halfway to the top. They're just overcrowded plastic bottom cages. I would bet he cleans then out about every 2 weeks and thinks it's all good.

Syberchick70":6oqerbb1 said:
=No, he likely raises those bunnies for his meat

Solid bottomed pet store cages (refusing to keep rabbits on wire). Located inside of a building or structure. Small breeds. Rabbits in pairs for "companionship" and animals living in squalid conditions because there are more of them than the caretaker has the time or inclination to manage...

It might be a breeder, but...This looks more like a typical no-kill rabbit rescue facility than it does a meat setup to me.
Opposite of the nihilist AR folks, there are also the kinds of of rescuer that view rabbits as pets only and would not euthanize for any reason. They tend to believe ANY fate is better than death.

It starts nice, but can end up like this if things get beyond the caretakers ability to manage, or if something happens to that caretaker to prevent them for looking after their buns.

To spot a "typical" meat setup...Look for homemade or improvised cage or housing area. Not always but I see them a lot. Many rabbits with nest boxes or young babies in their cages with them, cages with groups of fryers, and rabbits housed singly on wire. More often, outside of the home.

First of all the conditions are Terrible, but i don't think this is a breeder.. IMO I think they bought ALL these rabbits from an auction or backyard breeder and are hoping to turn a quick profit for Easter bunnies!! just my 2cents!

Zass":1k3d92sy said:
It might be a breeder, but...This looks more like a typical no-kill rabbit rescue facility than it does a meat setup to me.
Opposite of the nihilist AR folks, there are also the kinds of of rescuer that view rabbits as pets only and would not euthanize for any reason. They tend to believe ANY fate is better than death.

You could be right, Zass. It does seem most likely that this is either a very misguided rescue or someone who snagged a bunch of cheap rabbits and hopes to make a quick profit (although I kind of doubt that since they have all those cages)

Latest posts

Back