Poor rabbits

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

preciousgurl63

Reaction score
Ok so I was on craigslist and came across this. This makes me think twice about buying a rabbit from craigslist. So look what I found. Poor things I feel so bad for these rabbits. Why would someone post pictures trying to sell them with their cages looking like that. Those cages are gross and those rabbits are problem sick because they have to live in those nasty cages. Am I the only one that thinks these rabbits need help and these people don't need to own any animals if they don't know how to care for them.
http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/4916173267.html

That is....disgusting..those poor buns are living in their own excrement....I don't understand some people...those are the ones that need to be turned in... :evil:

Yikes!!!!
All of my rabbits have wire bottom cages. My wifes house bunny has a plastic bottom cage, but has a litter box in it that gets dumped once or twice a day with fresh pine shavings put in.
Then the litter box and cage get washed at least once a week.

Words fail me. :shock: :angry: :eek:

Did you notice that the rabbits have been living in the exercise pen on concrete long enough to have built up their own "bunny berry bedding"? :evil:

It's amazing......I've had many people say what I do----is cruel. :evil: :evil:

I beg to differ.....That's cruel! And they're supposed to be pets.
I'll only dig my heels in deeper.................NO PET SALES.....EVER

Grumpy.

I never get why people most picks when they have filthy cages. At least clean it before the pic, or don't post them at all. Poor buns.

cmfarm":wl49irsy said:
I never get why people most picks when they have filthy cages. At least clean it before the pic, or don't post them at all. Poor buns.

At least people know what they're getting with those poor rabbits. :(

I was guilty of having my buns in cages that were too small for them, the kind you pay an arm and a leg for at the pet shop with a plastic bottom. I thought it would be better for the buns since they wouldn't have to stand on wire. I used deep litter in their cages and they were nasty pretty quickly. I changed them out once a week, but it really wasn't enough.

I told myself it was ok because they were mostly only in the cages overnight. Then River had babies..... so now they both have 30x36 wire cages and I'm almost finished with building them each a fancy rabbit condo (with reservations about how easy they will be to clean). I'm hoping to move the two adults to the condos and use the two large wire cages as grow outs until the babies are sold. I'm also hoping to sell the wire cages to baby bunny owners, or even sell them rabbit condos for the babies.

Syberchick70":3ej3k0s7 said:
At least people know what they're getting with those poor rabbits. :(
:yeahthat:

Syberchick70":3ej3k0s7 said:
I was guilty of having my buns in cages that were too small for them, the kind you pay an arm and a leg for at the pet shop with a plastic bottom. I thought it would be better for the buns since they wouldn't have to stand on wire. I used deep litter in their cages and they were nasty pretty quickly. I changed them out once a week, but it really wasn't enough.

I told myself it was ok because they were mostly only in the cages overnight. Then River had babies..... so now they both have 30x36 wire cages and I'm almost finished with building them each a fancy rabbit condo (with reservations about how easy they will be to clean). I'm hoping to move the two adults to the condos and use the two large wire cages as grow outs until the babies are sold. I'm also hoping to sell the wire cages to baby bunny owners, or even sell them rabbit condos for the babies.
You've seen the issues and have been making adjustments. :) Nobody can ask more than that.

All you can do is educate yourself and others as I'm certain the pet store "experts" suggested that cage size :groooan:

To save shelf space they usually only carry the small cages and anthing over 36" is in storage or must be special ordered - I HATE pet stores :evil: - I have yet to find one that has staff with any clue about animal care - with the exception of a FEW specialty stores for fish or reptiles

Dood":26yxq0xx said:
All you can do is educate yourself and others as I'm certain the pet store "experts" suggested that cage size :groooan:

Actually, I checked the internet for 'minimum rabbit cage' sizes and found a pair of second hand cages that were JUST LIKE the ones in the pet store, for $15 (for BOTH of them!!). We had just bought a baby lop, so the cage seemed adequate... :p Oh well, live and learn?

Now, I plan to keep those cages in storage for temporary/emergency 'isolation' cages if I should ever need them.
For whatever reason.
Not that I'm planning to get more bunnies.... :x :x

Syberchick70":3nn7otp1 said:
Not that I'm planning to get more bunnies.... :x :x

What does planning have to do with it? :?

When I started raising rabbits, I thought 24 holes would be WA-A-A-YYY more than enough... now I have over 80.

Raging Rabbitosis- there is no escape (or logic!) once you have become thoroughly infected.

I use plastic bottom pet store cages but they are 5-6sq ft so equal to 2x30 and 2x36 cages for mostly netherlands. Marchioro cages which are some of the best quality and size available so often not actually found in pet stores. A local store was selling them on sale with discount for long term customers which we've been going there since I was a kid. We bought a whole bunch in the 40" and 48" lengths for the amount you usually pay on cheaper design 24-30" cages. Several have a pair of netherlands right now. Working on a colony setup and converting some 2x3' chinchilla cages in order to separate all the pairs to their own cage.

Just a thought.... the guy has his contact info posted on the ad.
I'm thinking about sending him some text suggestions... maybe he'll pull the ad.

"Healthy bunnies and rabbits.Small $25 and bigs and others $30.00.Call or text me Ray 216'253-8324.I have many."

I thought about flagging the ad, but if it gets removed, the rabbits might not have a chance at getting a better home.

Syberchick70":14cmppjb said:
Just a thought.... the guy has his contact info posted on the ad.
I'm thinking about sending him some text suggestions... maybe he'll pull the ad.

"Healthy bunnies and rabbits.Small $25 and bigs and others $30.00.Call or text me Ray 216'253-8324.I have many."

I was thinking about sending him a email but I don't know if he will listen. Some people get upset when you try to help so I don't know what I should do. All I know is I don't want the bunnies to live like that. Nothing should live like that. I feel horrible for them.

DBA":14cmppjb said:
I thought about flagging the ad, but if it gets removed, the rabbits might not have a chance at getting a better home.

I was going to flag the ad but thought the same thing. I want the rabbits to find a good caring home and not have to live like that. But I don't think none of those rabbits should cost that much living in those cages and waste. They are most likely sick or something.

Pet stores need to stop selling those tiny things as "rabbit starter" cages. :furious:
Too often pet owners will keep a rabbit until it outgrows that cage, and then get rid of it.

I see the rabbits for sale "with their cage" all the time, and it's almost always one of those little ones.

It would be better if they didn't label them for rabbits at all, and the stores instead sold potential bunny owners an appropriately sized cage. :soap:

Pet stores don't give a damn. They sell the small cages because they're easier to stock and if people saw giant cages, they'd think twice about buying the animal.

those small cages have their uses though. They are great for transporting young rabbits in. :) Or for emerg cages. Or for guinea pig travel cages if you have a sow with a litter. :) They have their uses.

I don't know how he lives with the smell those cages would bring.

I rescued a rabbit this past week and REFUSED to bring the cage with me "oh, the cage is a bit dirty". WOW.. it was HORRID. (usually I'll take anything, but no way was I even touching that cage) Told the mom to get the girl to clean it up and sell the cage on Kijiji for $40. I got the rabbit to the truck and hubby said "that smelly thing is NOT riding in the truck. Tuck it out back". Such a sweetheart. Once he got cleaned up and unsmelly I moved him on to a pet home.

Latest posts

Back