Anyone's litters picture thread!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's starting to look like a full house there Joe. Keep an eye on Cut Ear. If she gets to stressed she may start getting cranky (nippy)with "the kids". I always make my "bunny bedroom" so the doe can get on top to get away from the kits.

Roxy on the roof.jpg

Thanks, I sure wouldn't blame her if she gets a bit fed up. I've added a second food bowl to help relieve the congestion around the one now that they are all eating pellets. I plan to move them into another cage as soon as possible, do you think 4 weeks would be too early to wean them?

coyotejoe":29jm0az5 said:
Thanks, I sure wouldn't blame her if she gets a bit fed up. I've added a second food bowl to help relieve the congestion around the one now that they are all eating pellets. I plan to move them into another cage as soon as possible, do you think 4 weeks would be too early to wean them?

Some breeders wean that early routinely.
Some does will wean naturally at 4 weeks.
I prefer to wean closer 8 weeks. I feel they grow better with milk still included in their diet, and my does tend to be heavy milkers who will keep right on nursing to 8 weeks and beyond if I let them.
The kits eat plenty of solid food even if they still get milk.
I have never had a doe get nippy with her kits.
So I suppose, what is best just depends on your doe, and how soon you intend to breed her back.

4 weeks is a little pushy for giant breeds IMHO. You'll get a better grow out if you keep them with their momma longer.

The only time I've had problems with the Doe getting nippy they were in way to small a hutch. :eek: Once I built a 6' hutch for them to be raised in like the picture there were no more issues.

Homer":3oe5uz09 said:
4 weeks is a little pushy for giant breeds IMHO. You'll get a better grow out if you keep them with their momma longer.

The only time I've had problems with the Doe getting nippy they were in way to small a hutch. :eek: Once I built a 6' hutch for them to be raised in like the picture there were no more issues.

The cage size is a good point to consider. My does are averaging only 8 and 1/2 lbs and are in 24x48 inch cages.
Most have ledges. Overall, the setup seems to be rather comfortable for them. I think that might help. Just like the ample space and places to get away in a colony can help even adult animals get along.

Coyotejoe, one option you have if your cage seems very crowded by the large litter is to wean out some of the kits and leave some with the doe.

Sometimes I wean out the bucklings at 6 weeks if it's really crowded. It just always seems like the weaned bucklings never grow as fast as the doelings who stay with their mom.

I thought I would post some pictures of my newest litter, born 10-28-14, with my Broken NZ and my NZW/FG Buck! She had 8 in total, but overnight on Saturday night (when it was ~30° outside) 5 of the babies made their way out of the nest box (I am assuming by being attached to mom at different times) and even after warming were dead. I have since fixed her box so that there is an extra lip to try and "scrape" off any stragglers that may come out of the box attached. This was my first litter with her and I am happy with her results, disappointed about the 5 that died, but that wasn't anything that she did intentionally. So here goes!!!

Mom nesting

Any guess on the sex of the 3 buns?

Buck

And here is my other doe, who was due the same day and has yet to deliver (day 36 and no sign yet):
California Doe

And her babies from August:

They have made it to a week old! Time is flying. I thought I had a couple black otters, but there is some brown coloring on their heads and a little on their bodies. Do castor's have light ears as popples?

Sorry to hear about the loss of babies, crookdbeak. :(

Attachments

• Calli1wk.jpg
    Calli1wk.jpg
    455.5 KB · Views: 1,274
Crookdbeak13, are the buckets where the does have their babies? It's really interesting. Unfortunately, I'm no good with genders on newborns. I usually wait until at least 3-4 weeks to try and ID mine. Hopefully someone more experienced with that will weigh in. :) :need-comments:

Pikku...those kits are BEAUTIFUL! Castors do have white inside their ears as babies.

I have a few update pics of my colorful-foxy-agouti-mutt project kits: GEDC1141.JPG

She seems to have longer fur than the kits of the previous generation. I can ruffle and wave it around, and it will stay... Still far too early to determine standup quality, but since she's out of a lilac colored doe, she'll be able to throw me the chestnuts, chocolate agouti, opal and lynx kits I want. Assuming she grows well, meets strict temperament requirements, and is a good mother, etc.
GEDC1111.JPG

__________ Tue Nov 04, 2014 4:18 pm __________

Finally, the whole litter:

GEDC1154.JPG

Zass said:
Crookdbeak13, are the buckets where the does have their babies? It's really interesting. Unfortunately, I'm no good with genders on newborns. I usually wait until at least 3-4 weeks to try and ID mine. Hopefully someone more experienced with that will weigh in. :) :need-comments:

Yes! We actually put in a nest box the last time for the other doe (this is only our second actual set of kits) and with winter coming and them being outside, I wanted a way for her to be able to have them and they had security from the cold. So we attached the buckets with the top out, so that we could open and look/check/clean out as needed from behind the cage.

Nice looking litters Zass and Piku!

V-lop/MR kits.
I was torn between the prettier pic, and the one that showed colors better, so you get both!
It's amazing what a difference in lighting or exposure can do.

GEDC1169.JPG

I still think that tri is dilute and torted. The ears are going to have blotches of both cream and white! Cute. Since I'm exploring the inheritance of the curl genetics carried by the buck, I might save a doe to breed back. So far, I think I see one kit that might develop curl. (the chestnut, who has rumply sides despite being well fed.)
If curls are going to show up, it will be over the next few days. If what I'm dealing with is a simple recessive that requires rex to manifest, I'll know what I need to do to either get rid of it, or breed more of it. Now, MR can carry the curl genes as well, so...I still need to figure out if she has any. At the very least...none of these kits went bald! :razz:

The Belgian hares are stunning. :shock: It's the richest chestnut color ever.

Congrats to Ek. blair too! They are lovely :D Such a nice dark black!

I only have three more litters planned for 2014.

Wow, those are neat! I'm pretty interested in tri colored rabbits now that I had one appear in one of my nestboxes. :D Anyone know why tris tend to look spotty, but harlequin are banded?
Is it just modifiers one would select for similarly to the way a good broken pattern is selected ?

Latest posts

Back