WARNING! May Incite Puppyosis Lustosis!

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MamaSheepdog

Reaction score
With careful scheming I am proud to report that I have been successful in my ploy to keep my "Keeper" puppy from Basil's litter. I omitted her photograph from my Craigslist ad :twisted: , and waged a gentle yet persistent battle against Hubs, who was keeping a running tally of our growing mound of "hay money" as sales occurred.

Hubs: "So, $550 so far, and we have four puppies yet to sell?"
Moi: "Three."
Hubs: "Four."

And so it went... :roll:

In the end, I emerged victorious (naturally!), and I am pleased to say that all pups were sold within a three day period once I allowed buyers to come meet them. None left without a puppy in hand, and I am very pleased with all of the new owners.

Several are interested in another pup from our future litters. I have already started a waiting list for the next pupples for those wanting another pup and the unfortunate parties that weren't able to get one from this litter. :)

Here is "Keeper" this morning, greeting a bright new day...

IMG_6891.JPG

... completely and blissfully unaware that her first bath looms on the horizon:

IMG_6896.JPG
IMG_6898.JPG

She was wonderful during the "ordeal", and even took being blow dried in her stride!

Here she is all "poofed up":

IMG_6900.JPG

A quick trip outside to see the other dogs and go potty:

IMG_6940.JPG

Headed back inside...

IMG_6947.JPG
IMG_6951.JPG

... for a well deserved nap on Queenpup's lap:

IMG_6937.JPG

More playtime this evening while snuggling on the couch:

IMG_6976.JPG
IMG_6985.JPG

So... my little "Keeper" needs a name! :p

It usually takes me forever to name my dogs, because the name must be just right... but I am open to suggestions from one and all!

3mina":3dli2g0y said:
I'd say she's already got it :)

:yeahthat:

I like the first and second picture. She went from being a happy go lucky puppy to wondering how she got in that tub. :shock:

BTW, that is a very nice looking dog house. I'd live in it.

mystang89":1iopo2tm said:
3mina":1iopo2tm said:
I'd say she's already got it :)

:yeahthat:

Actually, I like the name Keeper too. :) But still considering other names. :)

mystang89":1iopo2tm said:
BTW, that is a very nice looking dog house. I'd live in it.

It needs a bit of repair- there is supposed to be a little roof over the entry door, but one of our past dogs chewed it off.

Tenants! Sheesh! :roll:

Hubs built it when we first moved up here and had a Great Dane and a Shepherd/Wolf mix. It is double walled and fully insulated. It also has two stories- there is a "loft" area accessed by a ramp on the back side. :)

I love that next to last photo, she looks adorable with her bunny toy. I think Keeper is a great call name, and if you want a more formal one for AKC, Keeper of the Flame, or Keeper of the Flock . . . or maybe, Keeper of the Faith. She does need an "epic" name!

dragonladyleanne":1g2ruf7d said:
I think Keeper is a great call name, and if you want a more formal one for AKC, Keeper of the Flame, or Keeper of the Flock . . . or maybe, Keeper of the Faith. She does need an "epic" name!

I love the formal name suggestions! :p

If AKC worked like ARBA, I bet she would hold her own in the ring... but she can't be registered. Her sire is an Aussie, but the dam is half Border collie half Aussie, from local working ranch dogs.

That is one cute little puppy dog you got there. I would trade off my Pom in a heart beat for one like her. Seriously, I really would. I am mad at him for peeing all over my house since the move anyways.

What kind of temps do your dogs withstand?

How do you find ticks in that fur?

(Can you tell I'm still trying to figure out how to transport one of your puppies here?)

Miss M":yv4umwx2 said:
What kind of temps do your dogs withstand?

Our extremes are teens to thirty in the winter and upper 90's to 110 in the summer. We usually have low humidity though.

We don't have dog or cat fleas here, and the only time the dogs get ticks is if they go out on a trail ride. The tick population is pretty non-existent in our fenced area. I think the free range cows and wild deer carry them.

How do you find ticks in that fur?

Ticks like to congregate on the neck, around the ears, and on the inguinal area. We usually find them when we pet the dogs.

We make a point of checking them over well for a couple of days after they have been out on trail, and remove the ticks before they become fully engorged with blood at which point the females drop off and lay eggs.

Can you tell I'm still trying to figure out how to transport one of your puppies here?

Check into airfare from LAX to a major airport in your area. If you can cover the cost of airfare and my fuel to get the pup to the airport I would be happy to send a mellow puppy to you for Bunny-Wan-Kenobi and ILoveBunnies. It would be my gift to a fellow RT Mod Sistah! :p

MamaSheepdog":1u6md648 said:
Check into airfare from LAX to a major airport in your area. If you can cover the cost of airfare and my fuel to get the pup to the airport I would be happy to send a mellow puppy to you for Bunny-Wan-Kenobi and ILoveBunnies. It would be my gift to a fellow RT Mod Sistah! :p
:p :p :p :p :bouncy: :fridge: :typomat:

MamaSheepdog":8gp6wuym said:
What's that you are getting out of the fridge? Is it a delectable homemade treat for me?!? :p
A bagel, lox, and cream cheese! :razz: Except... I'm out of cream cheese. So I'm settling for a glass of milk and some semi-sweet chocolate chips. :lol:

Rustina":8gp6wuym said:
Piper, or Cora, Acie, Ashling? :dogkiss:
Are those dogs?

Miss M":2yi1x2mp said:
MamaSheepdog":2yi1x2mp said:
What's that you are getting out of the fridge? Is it a delectable homemade treat for me?!? :p
A bagel, lox, and cream cheese! :razz: Except... I'm out of cream cheese.

Lol! Not for me then... but I have cream cheese if you'd like to borrow some. :)

So... translation: :p :p :p :p (delighted surprise) :bouncy: (super excited) :fridge: (must fortify oneself...) :typomat: (... for extended internet research).

MamaSheepdog":1ddtu15m said:
So... translation: :p :p :p :p (delighted surprise) :bouncy: (super excited) :fridge: (must fortify oneself...) :typomat: (... for extended internet research).
You got it! :D

Turns out to be ~$200 - $300 just to fly a dog. Plus taxes and fees. :shock: I could save that up, but WOW! I was not expecting that.

My brother is supposed to be travelling from 29 Palms to here in July or August. I don't really know if it will happen, though, or (to tell you the truth) if that would be better than flying the dog. :(

We also typically have 60%+ humidity, and usually over 70%. This is with temps in the upper 90s in the summer. I have been to Amarillo in mid-summer, when it was well over 100*... it felt like it was in the 80s, because the humidity was 17% (the locals were complaining about how "oppressive" the humidity was... we could hardly keep from laughing, as we drenched our cracking skin with lotion). 95* with 90% humidity is beyond oppressive. Maybe Shay's right, and we need a dog with really short fur.... and one that has been raised in this climate.

Love that pup. Due to the unforseen loss of my breeder sable Flare, I was able to keep a pup from the opps litter as well (dog total here says consistent at 4). I had intended to sell all of the pups quickly and pretend it never happened (because her breeder is a psycho), but that would mean a significant loss and a set back in my breeding program. I went through a lot to get that sable. Unfortunately I had already gave away the sable girl, so I kept the sable boy. I now have three males and one female. Three intact males...

Miss M":c0jrt7p3 said:
MamaSheepdog":c0jrt7p3 said:
You got it! :D

Turns out to be ~$200 - $300 just to fly a dog. Plus taxes and fees. :shock: I could save that up, but WOW! I was not expecting that.

My brother is supposed to be travelling from 29 Palms to here in July or August. I don't really know if it will happen, though, or (to tell you the truth) if that would be better than flying the dog. :(

We also typically have 60%+ humidity, and usually over 70%. This is with temps in the upper 90s in the summer. I have been to Amarillo in mid-summer, when it was well over 100*... it felt like it was in the 80s, because the humidity was 17% (the locals were complaining about how "oppressive" the humidity was... we could hardly keep from laughing, as we drenched our cracking skin with lotion). 95* with 90% humidity is beyond oppressive. Maybe Shay's right, and we need a dog with really short fur.... and one that has been raised in this climate.

Frontier Airlines is $175...we *could* have her put TWO pupples in the carrier... :whistle: ...just sayin'.... :twisted:

Miss M":rvtxqhxv said:
My brother is supposed to be travelling from 29 Palms to here in July or August.

I'll probably have some August pups. It is about 4 1/2 hours from 29 Palms to here... but If he will be taking the 15 or 40, maybe I could meet him in Barstow. :?

Miss M":rvtxqhxv said:
Maybe Shay's right, and we need a dog with really short fur.... and one that has been raised in this climate.

It would be nice for the kids to meet the litter and choose a puppy that appeals to them.

Fur acts as an insulator against heat and cold. Maybe one of the short haired pups would be better. You do want to avoid the Brachycephalic breeds (pugs, bulldogs, etc.) because they are very intolerant of heat.

OneAcreFarm":rvtxqhxv said:
Frontier Airlines is $175...we *could* have her put TWO pupples in the carrier... :whistle: ...just sayin'.... :twisted:

I knew it wouldn't be long before you jumped on the pupple bandwagon, Sistah! :lol:

Rustina":rvtxqhxv said:
Piper, or Cora, Acie, Ashling?

I tried for Piper in the past, and that was vetoed by Hubs. the others are new to me though.

MaggieJ":rvtxqhxv said:
MSD, your Keeper is just about the cutest pupple I have ever seen. Glad you were able to talk Hubs around. :D

Thanks! She is shockingly adorable, if I do say so myself. :D

Poor Hubs knew he was doomed from the moment they were born... every time I picked her up I would coo "How is Mumsy's wittle puppy?"

However, for whatever reason, he felt compelled to put up a token resistance. :roll: Men!

Latest posts

Back