Can wild rabbits be bred with meat rabbits?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Julz

Reaction score
might seem a strange naive question but have just found someone in Ireland who deals with wild rabbits as a pest controller and would let me have some young ones(if i knew they would breed with my meat rabbits) couldnt find enough info through google but have faith in rabbit talk for some answers...if people dont mind answering that is. All I know is they only live a couple of years in the wild, we have none here on the island where i am but we do have hundreds of hares...by the way...anyone eaten hare before?

hm.... well domestic rabbits are from stock that were eventually tamed from wild european rabbits. i know that the wild rabbits in the USA are different genetically from the domestic rabbits. so unlike breeding a horse and a donkey gets you a mule (though they are always sterile), you can breed a domestic rabbit to a wild rabbit all day long and you wont get babies from that pair. because the genetics wont match up. rather like trying to breed a housecat and mountian lion, yes both are feline but not the same thing exactly.

not sure on for you though. since you are in ireland, arent the wild rabbits there just the wild ancestors of domestic rabbits? thats what i would think.
i'm not sure how the babies of the crossings would turn out if its possible but it sure sounds interesting.

if you got some young ones i'd be curious, why not breed them together? or at least try it. i know it'd be inbreeding if its from the same litter, and probably would be same litter. but if they brought ya some other young ones you might have a few different genetics goin so you wouldnt have to inbreed.

The domestic rabbit is descended from the wild European rabbit (Oryctolagus cuniculus) so yes they can interbreed. They cannot interbreed with New World rabbits like our cottontails, however, nor can they interbreed with hares.

I really don't recommend them as breeding stock, however, since even fully grown they rarely exceed 2.5 kg. A bit on the small side for meat rabbits. And by bringing them into your rabbitry you could also bring in disease and parasites.

I have eaten European hare (Lepus europaeus). They were introduced into Ontario and my dad used to hunt them sometimes. I have also eaten our indigenous varying or snowshoe hares (Lepus americanus). They turn white in the winter like ermine. In fall both are usually good eating, although they can be tough if they are older, but late in the winter when they are feeding mainly on tree bark and buds the meat can be a bit strong flavoured. If I were cooking it in late winter, I'd probably use a marinade to improve the flavour.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_rabbit
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/European_hare
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snowshoe_hare

I would worry about the temperment of the wild rabbits. Lots of work has gone into domesticating our current rabbits, so breeding a wild into a domesticated is like taking a huge step backwards. It will take a few generations to get them to be tame enough to work with them.

The only good thing would be introducing new genes into an already small gene pool. So less risk of herditory illnesses.

You could but as others have said they may bring in disease and not do well in captivity ie die of fright, not breed, abandon litters etc...

You will also loose body mass as wild rabbits are bred to run like thoroughbreds and modern meat breeds are more like chunky draft pasture ornaments.

Thanks everyone... I would say I wouldnt like to be the cause of spreading any rabbit disease from wild ones to our meat rabbits so will pass on the idea, and maybe i can try hare one day :)

The domestic rabbit we all know and love is descended from the European wild rabbit, (Oryctolagus cuniculus). Those living in Europe/UK can interbreed domestic rabbits with wild rabbits because both species are O. Cuniculus genetically.

However, here in the US (North America), we do not have wild O. cuniculus. The North American lagomorphs (proper category for 'rabbit') include the eastern cottontail (Sylvilagus floridanus); the mountain cottontail (S. nuttalli) of mountainous regions of the west, the desert cottontail (S. auduboni) of arid regions of the southwest, the brush rabbit (S. bachmani) of Oregon and California, and the swamp and marsh rabbits (S. aquaticus and S. palustris, respectively) of wet habitats in the southeast and a few varieties of wild hares.

These wild North American species are not descendants of and are not genetically compatible with the European O. cuniculus and therefore cannot successfully interbreed.
In summary:

In Europe, a wild rabbit CAN be successfully bred to a domestic rabbit because they are both O. Cuniculus (genetically).

In The US, wild rabbits are NOT O. Cuniculus therefore cannot interbreed with our domestic rabbits which are O. Cuniculus. They might attempt to mate, but pregnancy cannot result.

Lisa L.

Latest posts

Back