Worth It?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Any other single gals out there ever think to yourselves: Wish I had a husband to cull my rabbits.
Of course, I would do the rest but sure would be sweet to have someone else do the bop and bleed. But then you have to feed him so??? LOL:unsure:;)
My hubby won't get within 100 yards of the butchering process.

Any other single gals out there ever think to yourselves: Wish I had a husband to cull my rabbits.
Of course, I would do the rest but sure would be sweet to have someone else do the bop and bleed. But then you have to feed him so??? LOL:unsure:;)
My hubby says you wanted rabbits ( and quail) they're your job. He tickles and plays with them. Did help build shelters. Everything else is my job. That means I don't clean fish anymore..his job

Lol, my family pitched in with the cornish cross. So, they better help me with the buns! even if I'm the only one interested in how they taste. Lol, I figured we live in the same house they will have to eat it if I am. I am 14 so no husband yet...but, when I get married he better be a farm boy and will help me with anything I need/want!

Lol, my family pitched in with the cornish cross. So, they better help me with the buns! even if I'm the only one interested in how they taste. Lol, I figured we live in the same house they will have to eat it if I am. I am 14 so no husband yet...but, when I get married he better be a farm boy and will help me with anything I need/want!
Most likely the man you marry will help you. I grew up on a farm, farm town, farm boys. They are fun to play with but I'd never date or marry one. I like them but I dunno. Until I was done with ponies and horses I didn't have time.

Married or not, I have always been the butcherer. I have always also been the cook, the caretaker, and wage earner. The penny pincher and the saver. The gardener, the auto mechanic, the payer of bills, the signer of documents, and the maker of decisions, doer of laundry..... Now I am mostly just TIRED! :LOL:

He took out the trash to the curb each week. And was annoyed about it every time.

My husband was mostly just expensive. He helped me once or twice when I had carpal tunnel surgery, and I had fresh sutures in my hands. He complained the whole time, and mostly avoided me while I kept working and doing all the normal chores.

I guess that is why I will probably stay single. I tried, but I have not had good luck. Alone is infinitely better than being with the wrong person. I can hire someone to lift heavy things, and I know how to use power tools.

Married or not, I have always been the butcherer. I have always also been the cook, the caretaker, and wage earner. The penny pincher and the saver. The gardener, the auto mechanic, the payer of bills, the signer of documents, and the maker of decisions, doer of laundry..... Now I am mostly just TIRED! :LOL:

He took out the trash to the curb each week. And was annoyed about it every time.

My husband was mostly just expensive. He helped me once or twice when I had carpal tunnel surgery, and I had fresh sutures in my hands. He complained the whole time, and mostly avoided me while I kept working and doing all the normal chores.

I guess that is why I will probably stay single. I tried, but I have not had good luck. Alone is infinitely better than being with the wrong person. I can hire someone to lift heavy things, and I know how to use power tools.
You rock. My best man friend is incredibly lazy, always has been. He calls me the butcher.
So ready to get some seeds in the ground. It's time. Have a great spring rabbit friend.

I'm married and I do it all myself. having a hubby doesn't guarantee that he'll do that deed. :)
Mine is 98% weenie. After 3 years of having quail he finally sideways watched me butcher one because he was was stoned, and just happened to be in that area of the yard, also because it was spontaneous he was therefore a bit braver. He was amazed at the trick of cutting down the sides of the spine and then just pulling all the viscera out at once. I've always told him that if something happens to me to just have the neighbor come over to butcher the quail and rabbits and share them. He actually said he thought maybe he could butcher quail now. I have a number that I need to cull next month and I may let him see if he can actually do it. For the rabbits we use the broomstick method with rebar for dispatch, and he is able to place the rebar for me while I pull up. So that helps. I do everything else.

Edited to add that I think the experience of watching me process a quail made him brave enough to come over and look at a rabbit with all the viscera hanging out. He was very interested in learning what organs were what. I think it helps that I reminded him that every meat he eats starts like this, and that someone has to do it, and that it's a shame that people are so removed from where their food comes from, and how it's made.

Last edited:
Be nice to just have a woman that shares rabbit farming ... I'd do the butchering.

My hubby is a big softy and can’t bring himself to help with dispatch; I’m more practically minded when it comes to livestock so I do the slaughtering, gutting, and skinning. Once it no longer looks like a bunny, he’s happy to help piece out, package, etc.

No complaints — he wouldn’t have livestock at all if he hadn’t married me, and he willingly helps with animal care and all the rest of the work related to farmsteading and does not grumble about the expense or labor of feed/critters/infrastructure.

Back