WOOPS... (fodder flop lol)

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nyctra

Reaction score
Go figure, all this time I've dumped bleach haphazardly into the soak bucket for my barley fodder - but never had an issue with it not sprouting...

Attempt using white vinegar in the soak just once, and I botched it so bad, none of the seeds are sprouting. Not a single one. LOL :lol:

They're only a couple days old, no mold, and well rinsed...Ya think it's still safe to feed to the rabbits? :hmm:

Well rinsed, the grain should be fine to feed the rabbits. Just be sure it doesn't go mouldy in their feeders if they don't clean it up properly.

I think I know why none of the grain sprouted. Vinegar is quite an effective herbicide. I've often sprayed it on weeds growing between patio stones etc. It works best in hot sunny weather and with a dash of dishwashing liquid added to help it to cling to the leaves.

WHen I first started with fodder i was using ACV as a soak after reading about quite a few people doing it successfully. It didn't totally kill things off, but I will say the growth was much slower and the stench unbearable! I ended up going with bleach - not my favorite choice, but it for sure worked better than vinegar!

MaggieJ":1untvb9w said:
Vinegar is quite an effective herbicide. I've often sprayed it on weeds growing between patio stones etc. It works best in hot sunny weather and with a dash of dishwashing liquid added to help it to cling to the leaves.

I have used vinegar that way, too. On a bright, hot day, you can see the difference within 30 minutes. By the end of the day, it's all wilted and browned. Very nice.

If I recall correctly, it didn't actually kill what I sprayed. It killed the greenery, and I burned it off once it was brown and dry, but it did come back.

Latest posts

Back