Wooly Bully- they're here

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skysthelimit

Reaction score
I went to a show this morning, just for fun, needed a pick me up, nothing to show. For a very nice price and my monthly coffee money, I got a pick me up, and picked up two JW from the mother of the lady I got my holland buck from. A black otter doe and a sable martin buck. The doe was shown and got one GC leg. Her ears are very close to 3" and the buck is at 2 1/2, so I will have to watch this pair. Not bad for starters.

Jr Buck picture coming soon... when I find my sd card.

i just want to blame this on Lindsey, then TMBunnyloft, and last but not least MSD.

This has been a bright spot in my week.

Now I am done. And I am sad to say, I believe I will sell my Mini Rexes and abandon my tri color program attempts for now. Their space is needed ;)

Attachments

• hartman's erin.jpg
    hartman's erin.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 409
Mwa-ha-ha-hah! :twisted:

The Woolys are taking over the forum, one wabbit waiser at a time!

Who would've thought Woolyitis was so infectious? :shock:

Congratulations, Sky! She is adorable. I can't wait to see her husband!

enjoy your woolies and I will happily admit, as much as I think they are pretty, I won't be taken over by them. :)

Pretty bun !!!

JWs one house at a time, soon they will have you all won over !!!

At least they only take up a lil bit of space & food. Oh & not much grooming either.

:pinkbunny: :pinkbunny: :pinkbunny: :pinkbunny: :pinkbunny:

Sky, do you have a blower for your dogs? Sundew told me that she and a friend had Woolys from the same litter, and when they were both at a show, the difference between their coats was very obvious. SunDew doesn't have a blower, and the brushing removes a lot of coat.

The main areas to focus on are behind the ears, the front of their neck, and the backs of the thighs. I blew my rabbits out a few days ago, and they weren't too frightened by it. I should probably start doing it every couple of days until they get used to it.

Lol, RR!

I made sure to keep a good grip on them, and only used the low setting!

MamaSheepdog":y2f0iuca said:
Sky, do you have a blower for your dogs? Sundew told me that she and a friend had Woolys from the same litter, and when they were both at a show, the difference between their coats was very obvious. SunDew doesn't have a blower, and the brushing removes a lot of coat.

The main areas to focus on are behind the ears, the front of their neck, and the backs of the thighs. I blew my rabbits out a few days ago, and they weren't too frightened by it. I should probably start doing it every couple of days until they get used to it.

I have a vacuum blower, no settings just on and off. I did imagine a small bunny blowing across the yard...
But I want to collect the wool to spin. I wouldn't brush that hard, more like teasing an afro :)<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 29, 2012 6:15 pm __________<br /><br />
MamaSheepdog":y2f0iuca said:
I can't wait to see her husband!

My girls believe in free love, hippies that they are...

Attachments

• SS850794.JPG
    SS850794.JPG
    333.5 KB · Views: 369
Hopefully those that have been afflicted with Woolyitis for longer will correct me if I'm wrong, but I think brushing pulls wool that isn't ready to shed out. Showoff is molting right now, and I can pull the wool out with my fingers, but Prodige's fur doesn't pull out because he isn't molting. Brushing during molting is probably okay.

I'm not think of brushing in the way that I would brush a dog, but using a slicker in short, teasing motions, at the ends like fluffing an afro. Kind of like I do my hair, I never brush from scalp to end, that would break the hair off, but only the ends are brushed out to discourage matts. The figuring wold work on a Sr. coat, but this boy's jr cotton coat needs a bit more. I saw the ladies at the show with slickers and tiny metal combs.

I have spent many an hour of my life grooming show Poms. Blow dryers, tiny slickers, pin brushes and tiny combs all tend to work together. The force of the air will help remove dirt and loose hair. But I would think you would still need to brush or comb carefully behind ears and thighs.

I do believe I will be investing in a new dryer. Maybe my sister has an old one she isn't using any more. :D

__________ Sat Sep 29, 2012 8:08 pm __________

MSD I can just picture your little wooly fluff ball blowing away.

Sky congrats on the new Woolys. They are adorable. Woolys rule the world!!!!!!

That sounds like it will work.

For the junior, since you don't want to remove too much coat with any mats, try splitting them into smaller sections by pulling them apart with your fingers, then combing.

When I brushed Showoff, I used a small slicker that has little plastic beads on the ends of the bristles. She had mats too, but it took less than a minute to brush her out. I have a tiny metal comb in my grooming box out in the shed. I wish I still had my "Greyhound" comb- I have no idea what happened to it.

tm_bunnyloft":jdg9owdn said:
MSD I can just picture your little wooly fluff ball blowing away.

I put them on an upholstered chair- if they take flight, they will just bounce off of the cushy back! :lol:

The holland kits/jrs seem to get it right around the genitals and under the tail. Looks like the woolys are the same way.

MSD--I will probably use one of my own hair brushes. I have a Demman style rubber backed brush especially for detangling kinkly/curly hair. Though I am not too worried, he's been nibbled by his siblings, so he won't have a showable coat for a while, probably until the senior coat grows in.

skysthelimit":1dg0qftd said:
Demman style rubber backed brush

I had to google that. It looks like they come in several styles, some with 7 rows of bristles, some 9, and some have wider spacing between the bristles. Let me know how it works, and which style you have or like best.<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 29, 2012 5:33 pm __________<br /><br />I wonder if a little "Hygienic Trim" is acceptable for the show table? :?

I wonder. Didn't seem like a problem on the adults. I have to go look in the barn at the hollands tomorrow. I don't recall seeing the same types of mats on the seniors as I did on the the kits. The kit wool is softer, not as many coarser guard hairs.<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 29, 2012 7:54 pm __________<br /><br />The Denman brush I have now is a seven row. And even though I no longer have my afro (I went back to chemically treated hair) I still use it, because it is the only thing that I find doesn't snag, because there aren't any plastic balls on the end that will eventually come off.

MSD, in the angora show world, hygenic trims around the genitals is accepted :D I would think that would be acceptable for most long haired breeds.

As for the blower vs. dwarf breed, there is a gal on another forum that tells about her son turning the blower on and she being in the right place at the right time to catch the poor thing as it went sailing off the grooming table :D<br /><br />__________ Sat Sep 29, 2012 10:56 pm __________<br /><br />Also, I have successfully resisted Woolyitis for another month :D

Congratulations on your Jersey Woolies. Wow, all these representatives of a Rabbit created in my Home State! Wonderful! Wishing you all the luck creating more fine Jerseys. Love my own "Woolies" too. Which BTW are my DM Lion heads. That DM puts the Woolie in them.

MSD, you made me cringe with your "Husband" reference. Totally brings up the House Rabbit Society (HR) way of referring to "bonding rabbits" for me. :slap:

Karen

ZRabbits":18gj19tg said:
MSD, you made me cringe with your "Husband" reference. Totally brings up the House Rabbit Society (HR) way of referring to "bonding rabbits" for me. :slap:

Karen

I don't have a good relationship with the word "husband," and I was going to make some strange joke about my bunnies are in "common law" relationships...
When you are raising children in a religious household, kids tend to naturally assume that since mommy and daddy are married, and mommy talks about when "you get married and have kids" then the animals naturally "get married" to have kids. Someone had a post about the kids taking out the rabbits for a "wedding." When I first started breeding, having had a very christian upbringing, mating different animals seemed a bit immoral. I got over that after the first dog litter. Since I don't have any kids here, I don't have the problem of explaining why the girls are having babies by different bucks :) Occasionally a kid in my classroom will ask, but I teach in the type of environment where most moms are single never been married, and they have many children by many different men, so it's seldom a problem there.

Back