Wool / Fur Block

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I know we have discussed ways to assits clearing blockages... but i cannot narrow the search down enough to find the info i need.

We feed hay daily... but a couple of our does droppings are getting rather small.... i'm wondering if they have slight blockages and what sort of hairball med could be used. I 'think' i remember someone mentioning one type that the rabbits tolerated better than some others.

Thank You for suggestions. RR :bunnyhop:

i had a rabbit that almost always got fur block when he went into molt. the only treatment for him that was quick and successful was daily grooming and if it was pretty bad, stomach massages. meds did not seem to work, nor pineapple/papaya.

brush, brush, brush, and some light mineral oil- a small amount-- helps things 'slip' through the gut. Also, get heh rabbit to MOVE!!! the animal moving-- helps muscles other than the intestinal wall muscles move things along---

Dampen some dandelion greens and feed those... a good handful daily for the next few days should help. Dandelions are mildly laxative and the extra fluids when wet help. And the others are right... get that bunny moving and brush, brush, brush.

Thank You for the suggestions...

Finding dandelions was the First trick... with the recent sn*ws and cold they are hard to spot... but we Did locate some . Boy did those bunnies dive into them !!!

Part two... we have never done this... (being old school trained, the rabbits are caged.) But... we are trying to plan an exercise pen. I have concerns about... Fleas... and other paracites...( forgive my spelling) Do You have problems with this ??? Do those who have exercise pens move them every so often ??? And how large do You make them ?? Also... How High is the fencing ??? Do You plan on a certain amount of time per rabbit out in it ???

Again...Thank You for the assistance. (maybe in Another 50 years... we will have it figured out. :p )

:bunnyhop:

i set up temporary runs with 3 ft high wire fencing and just go out there with them to supervise play. i get worried about hawks and neighbors dogs so i always supervise. heavy duty runs can be made with wood frames, if it was well made you wouldn't have to supervise them, they'd be pretty safe. something like the picture attached would be good for an unsupervised run. i take my rabbits outside in runs and on leashes occasionally and i haven't had to treat for worms or fleas or anything like that. if they do get something, which is possible, there are rabbit safe flea treatments and wormers readily available. since my pens are only temporary, they are not very big, 6x6 at most. i have to set it up in different places so we can mow. we usually don't have them out for more than an hour each, since its really just for fun.

Attachments

• 4ft-rabbit-run-image.jpg
    4ft-rabbit-run-image.jpg
    205.1 KB · Views: 660
Some rabbits can be exercised using a cat harness and leash. Long leash in a safe place away from dogs. Not all rabbits take to this, but it is a quick and easy thing to try. Don't leave them unattended though.

Back