Why We Quarantine

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

3mina

Reaction score
I thought I'd share a summary of my recent quarantine experiences as I've had a bit of trouble getting stock OUT of quarantine. I've had four rabbits in quarantine since March, gotten at different times from different places.
One started blowing snot a couple of weeks in, he was dispatched and we looked at his lungs-they looked like he'd inhaled cottage cheese, he's in the freezer waiting for me to decide what to make from him.
One we're pretty confident is healthy and it looks like he'll make it through, which makes me very happy as he's less than half as old as my current buck and significantly bigger. The doe in quarantine is from the same place as the buck I culled and she belongs to my partner. This doe has sneezed a few times (head rocking sneezes) and my partner doesn't want to take chances on her so she's not going to make it out either, we just haven't gotten to the deed yet (bad owners). The breeder we got these two from was horrified when we told her what we found and we've made arrangements regarding that situation.
The last of the four is a kijiji find that was supposed to be a pet for my hubby. He had a maloccusion but we'd made the decision to deal with that, thank goodness we hadn't told hubby about this buck because I picked him up to move him Sunday afternoon and I could both feel and hear him breathing *gah* We immediately dispatched him and looked at his lungs. He had several lesions with cottage cheese centres and he was horribly skinny, confirming in my mind that malocclusions are going to be culled immediately as well since while they can eat they can't eat enough to maintain good health. This cull point is going to be for both genetic and injury malocclusions as I can't justify keeping a rabbit on what amounts to starvation rations even if they've got food in front of them 24/7.

Of the four of these rabbits, I drove six hours and spent a large amount to get two of them, one was transported from another province and one was a local 'rescue' off the street and only one is going to see the fall.

Bless your heart 3mina, I'm glad you brought this up though, it never hurts to discuss this ever so important point of raising rabbits for the new members to learn.
I have read and been told different opinions on the length of time to quarentine. As short as 3 weeks to 6 wks or longer. I kept my Americans in for 4 weeks and now have 2 new mutts. How long?

quarantine should run for a month minimum, I sometimes do longer if there is something about them I that niggles at me. I've not been proven wrong yet. :)

Thank you for sharing your experience...I'm sorry it has been such a hard road. :( How far away should quarantine cages been from the regular stock? I'm wondering if hanging a tarp between cages would be sufficient (following appropriate hand washing/handling precautions of course) or if another space entirely is required?

I'd say my quarantine spacing is a touch extreme, there's about five miles between the herd and quarantine.
Ditchdoc, I'd put as much space as you possibly can between quarantine and the rest of your herd and put it down wind as well. A separate building is the best if you can manage it.

AmysMacdog, I've had some of these guys separate for over six weeks but I usually go thirty days. It's been longer this time around because I've had some show up with issues. If something has an issue everything will stay in quarantine longer, just in case.

I just want to add, in case anyone hadn't considered this, we should always quarantine our new stock separately from each other as well as the herd. That way if you get animals from separate sources and one is ill you don't infect everything you just invested in.

So sorry to hear of what you're going through. Hopefully your posting this can help others. I learned of quarantining here on RT, and have two in QT as I type. Luckily, they are doing well, and I plan to move them out at the end of the week.

*fingers crossed your luck changes*

I have only brought a few new rabbits in. 2 Lionheads, a Rex pair from my Sistah OAF, a trio of JWs, and a Beveren doe and shortly after a Beveren buck.

With the exception of the Bevs, which were both adults when I got them (and BIG!), all have been quarantined in the house. I always care for the new buns last, but I don't wash my hands or change clothes.

The Beveren still live on the south side of our house right outside our bedroom... and I still have Prodige, the JW buck, in the living room. :oops: Gotta get him outside. :roll:

The rest of my rabbits are slightly northeast of the house, about 150 feet away.

DitchDoc":64odaqtw said:
I'm wondering if hanging a tarp between cages would be sufficient (following appropriate hand washing/handling precautions of course) or if another space entirely is required?

Most of us are most concerned with the dreaded Pasteurella, which can be transmitted by sneezing. Of course other respiratory diseases are also transmitted that way.

If tarps are the best you can do, so be it. I would have the tarps extend forward of the cages as well- cardboard might be a good option for that.

But distance is your friend, so the further apart you can have them, the better. :)

Thank you! I'm still in the process of putting my rabbitry together so there's still options available, hence the very greenhorn question. Sneezing suggests droplet transmission vs airborne, and I'm still not sure if pasteurella is considered completely droplet/direct contact transmissible or if there's an airborne component. Would anyone know? I can't find any reference for certain one way or another. I've just read that rabbits can sneeze droplets for a distance of about six feet though, so a tarp would certainly not be in the bunnies best interest <sigh>. I do very much appreciate the feedback MSD! Wish I had your 5 miles 3mina...that'd sure solve all my worries :p

DitchDoc":1i4nm0v6 said:
Thank you! I'm still in the process of putting my rabbitry together so there's still options available, hence the very greenhorn question. Sneezing suggests droplet transmission vs airborne, and I'm still not sure if pasteurella is considered completely droplet/direct contact transmissible or if there's an airborne component. Would anyone know? I can't find any reference for certain one way or another. I've just read that rabbits can sneeze droplets for a distance of about six feet though, so a tarp would certainly not be in the bunnies best interest <sigh>. I do very much appreciate the feedback MSD! Wish I had your 5 miles 3mina...that'd sure solve all my worries :p

It is droplet/direct contact mode transmission.

DitchDoc":2qeydpen said:
Wish I had your 5 miles 3mina...that'd sure solve all my worries :p

Then you'd just have different issues :mrgreen:
I'd kind of prefer to not have to spend gas to go check up on my herd.
I do have an awesome partner though and she helps keep me on track, which I need sometimes.

Latest posts

Back