Why I cannot advocate "pet" related rabbit websites...

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I wouldn't do well at all on pet sites if I stated my opinions on rabbits (or chickens, quail etc... for that matter) Sure I care about mine, they get the best care I can give them. What they don't get is a vet. (a prized breeder might, if I didn't have a suitable replacement coming up.) Mine are meat animals (ore egg producers in the case of the chickens) and, I expect a few losses before I get them to butcher weight. If one is so sick it needs a vet, it's time to cull that one.

Let the grow out ones bite, kick, scratch etc... they won't be bred and won't live long enough to be a problem for me but, I'm not going to waste the meat just because it has a bad attitude at 6 weeks old.

I have one I'd make a house pet of, if that were practical here but, no pets in the house. It's a small house so not a lot of room to NOT be tripping over a pet in here and, I've got better things to do with my time that run about cleaning up the floor all day. We don't have kids and we don't want to child/pet proof the house. It's comfortable as is and we like to have our not so pet safe hobbies in the house and, to be able to leave the supplies and materials out if we want while we eat, bathe etc...

My granddaughter went through a phase of asking me WHO was for dinner because we raise and butcher a good portion of the meat we eat (also hunt and fish). She was five or six, didn't bother her that BaaBaa, Spot, Stripe, Oscar or whoever was dinner, she just learned that it was more likely to be a WHO than a what. LOL.

Back