Why does the buck fall over?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

michaelhodgejr

Reaction score
So as I was breeding my cals the other day I started to think, "Why does the buck fall over". Evolutionarily speaking, what benefit does that actually provide? It seems to me to be a strange mating behavior and I'm not sure I know of any animals that do something simliar.

So does anyone know why rabbits do this? I'd imagine it'd be so that either they could get away quickly (as mating is a vulnerable act in the wild). I'm curious to hear other theories and/or the actual reason, if known.

Personally I would have assumed that it was because he has to jump up to finish the deed.

I guess it just so happens rabbit orgasms make them stiffen up. This would probably increase contact for a split second which is all the time the buck is passing sperm anyway before losing his balance. Alot of bucks don't actually fall completely off though. They often take the doe with them.

I love it when they fall over and scream. I always thought it was just like people having orgasm. All your muscles suddenly relax after being tense.

a7736100":3c3essz5 said:
I always thought it was just like people having orgasm. All your muscles suddenly relax after being tense.

This is exactly it. They even have the same after spasms. They fall over from the muscle reactions and because it's a rabbit, they don't care to stay stable so the female thinks he's 'good in bed.'

I think it is a mixture of "hitting the spot" and making sure it counts ology.

Adding a 1-2 second out of reality...makes you lose your balance:)

They fall off because their front feet lack the ability to grip, the toes don't curl so when they ejaculate they fall off

My Champagne buck didn't lack for grip. His first time he held on tight, fell over holding her shoulders and took her with him, then squealed to the neighborhood that he'd lost his virginity! I am wondering if he'll do that next breeding, or if it really was "bragging"? :D

I agree with SelfFueled. It's a matter of hitting 'the mark'. After watching my young buck try to figure it out - he would go through the motions time and again, sometimes not even lined up right. Things all lined up just right for the first time.... and he fell off. Even my senior buck will go through the motions a few times before he seems to get it all just right..... and fall off.

Mating and birthing are vulnerable acts, I suppose that the bucks who can 'hit the mark' and fall off with the least amount of attempts are the most likely to survive. We must also factor in the speed with which a recalcitrant doe can escape an amorous buck.....!

lol I have a jersey wooly buck who can breed about 9 times in 10 minutes falling off each time.

LindseysWoolies":2k5za1z3 said:
lol I have a jersey wooly buck who can breed about 9 times in 10 minutes falling off each time.

Now we know where the reference to "...like rabbits" comes from - must have had a Jersey wooly buck like yours!!! :lol:

I have one pair that, when the bucks hits the mark, she screams and then he starts screaming and they both scream for like 10 seconds... :p

OneAcreFarm":3n7z27oj said:
I have one pair that, when the bucks hits the mark, she screams and then he starts screaming and they both scream for like 10 seconds... :p

haha, that reminded of the waaaazzzzaaap commercial :lol:

I always thought it was just like people having orgasm. All your muscles suddenly relax after being tense.

My husband's answer was you try having an orgasm while standing up. :lol:

Most animals do fall off after they are done. Most just have longer legs or better grip or something that keeps them from coming off so fast they fall over. Horses just slide right off and land on all 4 feet. Sometimes a little awkwardly. Their legs are a lot longer and hold them upright though. Guinea pigs don't stay on either but they are built like bricks so when they come off they don't have far to go and can land on their feet. Although I've seen unreceptive participants cause the other to fall over. Rabbits just aren't as stable and the bucks seem to jerk really far in to make sure they make contact.

OneAcreFarm":27evr8oh said:

Would have scared me!

Latest posts

Back