Who is breeding now? Either for 4H or Easter?

Rabbit Talk  Forum

Help Support Rabbit Talk Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jimmywalt

Reaction score
Just curious how many of us are breeding (or attempting to breed) now for either 4H or Easter?

If so, what breeds are you breeding?

We are breeding (or trying to) Holland Lop and Lionhead.
:D

Expecting lionhead litters for 4-H'ers. Some litters due now for the senior class and will be breeding again for the junior class.
My blue buck is the sire for all these litters... I just love that guy!

Personally, I do not generally have "holiday rabbits" Easter or otherwise ~~ although I did break down and sell some for Christmas (persistent buyers, all ironically, from out of state willing to travel) ... which I know I will regret because I was saving those for breeding stock..

Ordinary pet buyers drive me up the wall. People who would buy a live animal as a holiday present would probably be the end of me.

I know, they aren't all fools, but...I have a low tolerance.

Not on purpose but my does probably are bred again... which means they would be the perfect age to rehome on Easter. Will cull the ones not of pet temperament though.

I'm holding off for a couple weeks , plan to breed three does between Jan 15-19 that way I don't have to feed them an extra two weeks. Generally my stock is mature enough to leave at 6 weeks.

Not breeding for any specific date. I have one that doesn't seem to have taken so I will rebreed her soon. 1 needs a box on the 10th. I just setup a colony with 1 buck and 3 maiden does. We'll see when something comes of that.

I have three does who have just kindled or will kindle within the week, one meat mutt litter of 3, one whoopsie litter from the new rex doe I just bought who was out with her dad before I bought her (excited about this, hoping the black otter kit that is in the bunch is a doe to keep!), and one FA litter due on the 7th.

I guess they would be timed perfectly, but I don't sell rabbits for Easter. I did sell rabbits near Easter last year, 5 of them actually, but they all went to adults who wanted them for fiber purposes. I did not have the rabbits on CL, they were through my private site, and the buyers all contacted me. I refuse to sell my angoras to anyone who wants them for their kid year round, though I do get more interest around the holidays. Short haired are different, but as they'd be ready around Easter I won't even bother listing any kits for sale and will jus send them all to FC. Not going to risk their well being. It's all I can do not to post on CL warning people from buying holiday pets as it is...

Actually, January 5th is the breed date for 8wk old Easter bunnies, January 19th for 6wk old Easter bunnies.

I plan on breeding my mini rex this month for 4h. Really don't want to sell Easter bunnies since most of the time they just get sold again down the road when they don't want them anymore.

I may breed my Holland/Lionhead cross and my French Angora's for Easter this year. I wasn't specifically going to breed them for Easter until I seen your thread. Now I have to give it some thought. I have an English Lop/French Angora 2 week litter now and an English/Mini Lop litter due in the next couple of weeks. Might be getting a Velveteen Lop litter as well.

I don't breed for a particular time, I have noticed people tend to be more impulsive pet buyers at that time of year, not something I want part of. But my goal is show quality with good temperaments, selling a few pets is just a side of that.

I think Hollands tend to be more sensitive to environmental factors, I have the most litters in spring and fall, I am trying to convince a couple does that they wanna be mommas but they seem like they tell the bucks "it's cold out, let's just cuddle" I'm impatient though since I finally have the quality I want and really want to be showing my own rabbits next year.

I have does due to kindle in a couple of days, and am trying to get more does bred currently. We have had a cold snap the past few days (low 20s at night), so no one is feeling frisky at the moment.

I haven't ever bred for Easter since until recently I bred meat breeds- but we have a small herd of mini Rex now, so I may try to sell some of those as pets. If I do, I will advertise them about a month in advance to ensure that the buyers have put some thought into it.

No pet sales....

4-H....I suppose. If they're interested in doing the job right. I recently bought
back a group of rabbits from a 4-H'er. Pretty sad lookin' bunch of youngsters.
Their feet were FILTHY.....and they'd been housed in all wire cages.?.?.?

"I forgot" to clean out the old hay......Nuff said. I felt sorry for the stock.

Better my rabbits live an excellent short life, than a long-suffering one.

The grump.

we will be attempting to breed my sons NZW's in April for 4H meat pen for the fair in July. The does will be 6 months old and the buck 5.5 months old, so hopefully they will be ready to get down to business by then :lol:

Not specifically for Easter just for early Spring... I have a Mini Lop due to kindle in the next week and half so hers will be ready in Mid March. I know some have horror stories in selling as pets but thus far I've been blessed to have those buying kits be folks who were experienced owners, long time rabbit lovers who wanted to share the experience with their children - people I felt really good about. Hoping that continues!

I'm breeding now too. Just more because I want kits around again than specifically for Easter. I don't mind selling for pets, but I do avoid holiday sales if I can, though I will take back kits if they are no longer wanted - even years later.

Latest posts

Back